Charges dropped against Farmington NH man

What the Strafford County attorney should have said is, "Because of all the nation-wide complaints I've received, I've decided I was wrong in filing these charges...and it's my relection year."

JR

Great news. The guy would already be doing time if this were in MA. And, he'd never be allowed to touch a gun again.

On another forum we were contemplating starting a legal fees fund for the guy. Happy to see it won't be necessary.

In the future, you should try to work through your state NPOs if possible for legal defense funds. There are some really good reasons, not the least of which is the tax deduction, to do so. You guys have 2 to chose from up there...

Although the charges have been dropped I am still deeply troubled by the attitude of the County Attorney.

Velardi reminded area residents to handle and use firearms responsibly, even in cases of self-defense. He added, "Firing a 'warning shot' around or near other people or dwellings can result in police involvement or even a criminal charge."

Velardi stressed that residents who witness a crime or see inappropriate behavior should contact police.

"Ultimately, citizens should forgo direct involvement in the apprehension or detainment of suspected criminals," Velardi said in the release.

It is a belief system such as this that takes us down the road to a police state, where all your security and freedoms are dependent upon the office holder. I would still like to hold dear the responsibilities that are conjoined with our freedoms. Somewhere Thomas Jefferson is shaking his head.

Although the charges have been dropped I am still deeply troubled by the attitude of the County Attorney.

I'm sure I'm walking into a firestorm here, but my interpretation of what the DA said is "If you fire a gun, even into the ground, near other people or their homes, don't be shocked if the police get involved." He's also saying you shouldn't be trying to solve your own crimes (i.e. tracking the BG down and holding him at gunpoint). He had to make a statement like that to avoid promoting vigilantism. If he gave the guy a glowing review, we'd have posses taking to the streets.

Just my $0.02

The attorney's office said firing a "warning shot" around or near other people or homes can result in police involvement or a charge.
Yup. Don't fire warning shots. Leave it holstered or have a need to kill the guy, and do it well.

It is a belief system such as this that takes us down the road to a police state, where all your security and freedoms are dependent upon the office holder. I would still like to hold dear the responsibilities that are conjoined with our freedoms. Somewhere Thomas Jefferson is shaking his head.

Outside of the last sentence, I don't disagree with what he said. DAs should be welcoming citizens actively participating in investigations of crimes committed against them. However, that does not mean you shove a gun in a guys face because he left a house you don't know or believe he belongs in nor does it mean that "warning shots" are an appropriate means of self-defense.

For me, as an armed private citizen, I think it is an extremely bad idea to chase someone who is running the other way, while waving my gun around. Needless to say, a warning shot is right out. My gun is for protection against an imminent threat of bodily harm. Period. (well also poking holes in paper [wink])

Now having said that, is what the guy in NH did a felony? Nah... just a bad idea.

A sane and "thinking" person would see that continuing with these charges would only encourage would be burglars and scumbags, while dropping them, may serve as a deterrant, of some sort or another. At least we have one example of clear thinking, north of the border.

Yup. Don't fire warning shots. Leave it holstered or have a need to kill the guy, and do it well.

Actually you can go ahead and draw, it's permitted by law.
NH RSA's: 627:4 Physical Force in Defense of a Person.
627:4 II-a. A person who responds to a threat which would be considered by a reasonable person as likely to cause serious bodily injury or death to the person or to another by displaying a firearm or other means of self-defense with the intent to warn away the person making the threat shall not have committed a criminal act.

Too bad WMUR isn't permitting comments. I'd like to know what kind of remedial training the Farmington police department will be required to take to insure they are familiar with the laws thay are required to uphold.

Back
Top Bottom