Channel 5 News - Boston - Pepper Spray

Just saw a promo for the Channel 5 news in Boston. Tonight at 11 PM, they are going to do a story on how tough it is to get pepper spray in this state and the long times you have to wait for a permit. It should be interesting to see what they say.

In sure after this they will change the permit thing but then again they'll loose 25 bucks so I might be wrong

Maybe, just maybe and it's a long shot, this could be a catalyst for some small positive change. BTW where the hell is GOAL on this? Nowhere to be seen from what I'm seeing.

Changing the law will mean that all the legislators that vote for it, will be on GOAL's side....

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H2128

ETA: Sorry wrong bill. Here's the right one:

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H2145

That will stick in some throats.....

IMO this will not pass, as it will be a tacit admission that "everyday people (especially women)" NEED more than a whistle, and a fully charged phone, and have for a long time. What's next? Letting them pack heat?

Maybe, just maybe and it's a long shot, this could be a catalyst for some small positive change. BTW where the hell is GOAL on this? Nowhere to be seen from what I'm seeing.

See above.

Last edited:
Changing the law will mean that all the legislators that vote for it, will be on GOAL's side....

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H2128

ETA: Sorry wrong bill. Here's the right one:

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H2145

That will stick in some throats.....

IMO this will not pass, as it will be a tacit admission that "everyday people (especially women)" NEED more than a whistle, and a fully charged phone, and have for a long time. What's next? Letting them pack heat?

Now is time to get this passed, not to politicize a tragic event but its now or never. Even the sheep in Boston might support this. Beside GOAL has said nothing on this, which is ridiculous.

Now is time to get this passed, not to politicize a tragic event but its now or never. Even the sheep in Boston might support this. Beside GOAL has said nothing on this, which is ridiculous.

how about you contact your legislators in support of Bill H2145? It already passed favorably out of committee.

GOAL has like 5 employees, you don't think they are a little busy? All of us share the responsibility of getting good legislation passed and keeping bad legislation away.

I certainly hope something positive comes from this, But from past experience I am not holding my breath, some ass politicians will start their crap and excuse it away like nothing happened, we will be told the police can handle it and there will be no need for anyone to arm themselves with any kind of protection.

Tim ~ [sad2]

What do you mean "GOAL has said nothing on this"?

If any of the local stations call, they'll be able to respond - but it's not as if they can crash a liveshot.....

GOAL has been pushing this (and other) legislation for months.....all the info is on their website (that's where I got the links in my previous post). Have you called, emailed or written you legislator(s) to tell them how you feel?

If yes, then thanks.

Unfortunately in this state if anything happens at all, it will be still pay, you can just get the permit immediately instead of waiting who knows how long.

Kind of like going to the fire station and getting your brush burning permit.

THE FIVE PEOPLE THAT MAKE UP GOAL NEED TO BE ALL OVER THIS! WHY AREN'T THEY STORMING THE NEWS STATIONS WITH GUNS AND DEMANDING THEY BE PUT ON THE AIR!

>.>

What do you mean "GOAL has said nothing on this"?

If any of the local stations call, they'll be able to respond - but it's not as if they can crash a liveshot.....

GOAL has been pushing this (and other) legislation for months.....all the info is on their website (that's where I got the links in my previous post). Have you called, emailed or written you legislator(s) to tell them how you feel?

If yes, then thanks.

Yes I have contacted my reps. As far as "saying nothing" I mean no press release, social media posts etc in the past couple of days.

I grow very tired of the excuse making for them, they have limited staff, only 5 people blah blah blah.

And I am a sustaining member.

If you look in the "Amy Lord" thread you'll see that a bill to eliminate permits for Mace has been reported out of committee with an "ought to pass" recommendation. That's a huge hurdle, but not the only one.

Where is GOAL? Working the issue in the State House, where changes will be made. The media can help, but dealing with the media is always a two edged sword. The energy is better spent in the State House.

THE FIVE PEOPLE THAT MAKE UP GOAL NEED TO BE ALL OVER THIS! WHY AREN'T THEY STORMING THE NEWS STATIONS WITH GUNS AND DEMANDING THEY BE PUT ON THE AIR!

>.>

Are you serious?? Why aren't you on the phone to the home numbers of your reps? Your ass is on the line as much as anyone else's, stand up and do something about it. Amongst the 5 people is ONE political lobbyist, the rest are support staff.

What ever happened to women's "take back the night" demonstrations?

What year was that? Were these women the women who are labeled "Feminazi?"

Women, many of them are quite busy raising kids, feeding husbands and working full time. They just can't get out at night like they used to do.
During the first week of August, Boston Police have a "Night Out" program where residents are urged to turn on their outdoor lights and keep watch. That one night makes such a big difference! [laugh]

What year was that? Were these women the women who are labeled "Feminazi?"

Women, many of them are quite busy raising kids, feeding husbands and working full time. They just can't get out at night like they used to do.
During the first week of August, Boston Police have a "Night Out" program where residents are urged to turn on their outdoor lights and keep watch. That one night makes such a big difference! [laugh]

They are too busy supporting Carlos Danger.

I spoke with Rep Kim Ferguson last night. Not as a GOAL staffer but as concerned voter in her district. GOAL has been all over this for several years. Safety minded legislators have also spoken to GOAL's Executive Director. Now we need GOAL members and nonmembers to call their Reps and Senators. Be the polite squeaky wheel. When that doesn't work, just be a loud, concerned, activist squeaky wheel.

From GOAL's FB page:
Hi everyone, in case you're wondering, Mike, our Comm's guy is out this week, thats why our social media has been so quiet. Also there will be no Friday News this week. He will be back on Monday. Thanks all!

Just shown on channel 5 they had 3 reps at the whistle hand out. They are demanding change, they will introduce legislation for better security at ATMs. You can't make this shit up anymore.

I advise all women to carry pepper spray illegally. Order it online or buy it over the border, OR have someone buy it for you. Or learn how to use a knife and carry one of those. The fact is in a lot of instances, it really won't do anything as people are so distracted and lack situational awareness to begin with. I know of zero cops who enforce pepper spray regulations in any case other than when it is used in an assault.

Mike

Just shown on channel 5 they had 3 reps at the whistle hand out. They are demanding change, they will introduce legislation for better security at ATMs. You can't make this shit up anymore.

ATM security could be increased by duress codes - a standard feature on some entry systems and safe locks. A duress code is a secondary PIN that works, but also triggers a silent alarm.

And, it doesn't take a gov't regulation - if one major bank starts doing this, the others will probably feel a need to do so as well to compete.

If you look in the "Amy Lord" thread you'll see that a bill to eliminate permits for Mace has been reported out of committee with an "ought to pass" recommendation. That's a huge hurdle, but not the only one.

Where is GOAL? Working the issue in the State House, where changes will be made. The media can help, but dealing with the media is always a two edged sword. The energy is better spent in the State House.
I believe GOAL membership is 15-20,000?

Back
Top Bottom