• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Changing sights that were red loctite'd???

BillyBoy

NES Member
I recently bought a handgun that has some aftermarket sights installed. I really dislike them and want to change them out. I was told by the previous owner that the original owner (i'm the third owner) used red loctite when he installed the sights. Now I know red loctite is considered a permanent loctite so my question is, am I stuck with these sights or is there a way to remove the sights without damaging the gun?

I have a older 45watt soldier iron.......get stupid hot if you let it sit for 20min, has freeded up loctite and rusty bolts

Gun is a Glock 26 Gen 3. Sights installed were the Trijicon XS sights. I was on their website and it looks as though the red loctite is required during the install.

Just came across this, http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375808. Looks like people put it in a vice grip and bang it out.

Yup, I knocked my factory sights out--sans sight tool. I put the slide in a vice with a thin piece of leather to prevent scratching. I've never dealt with the XS sights but it looks like they have metal set screws with loctite? If so, I'd hit it with a soldering iron, right on the screw, let it cool some then try to back them out. If you feel resistance then stop--you don't want to gall the threads or strip the screw--then hit it with heat again. Once the sets are out it should knock out relatively easily. I believe they knock out left to right, but measure the channel to see if one side is narrower than the other.

If you don't have a soldering iron you can get one for like $9. Else in a pinch you could use a lighter, but you'll probably cook the sights.

My front sight installed with a narrow socket hex driver from inside the slide. If that's what you need, they have them at You-Do-It Electronics in Needham (at least they did a few years ago).

Back
Top Bottom