Changing my views in Home Defense and CCW

Took the downrange firearms CCW and home defense course tonight. the first of its kind for them , loved being a beta tester.

For me you never really realize just how much talking to someone over the phone (911) while trying to protect yourself. really screws you up. im not one of those people who if asked to do something , half asses it. i move at the speed and stress level as i would normally. and my lack of training really shows. I loved it because it shows and makes me recognize it.

for CCW i learned about styles of carry, holster options, and choices of guns. Granted due to my friends , i have in my opinion made great choices in carry weapons. Mainly glocks, and a M&P shield. i want to try out appendix carry since matt and ian showed me as a test attacker if im trying to go for the gun, how to defend from it. it has saved me from buying a ton of future holsters and not liking them.

i definitly feel like i should head to a range that allows you to move around more and practice the basics, not gun safety per say, just getting better at knowing when to shoot with both eyes open , and when to close one eye for those accurate long distance shooting. i for one, will admit i have never shot my guns from a close to the body position aka (high ready position.) I would always keep my gun pointed down arms extended when practicing moving through out my own home,i have now since started changing my ways because of the class. because sometimes i won't have the space to shoot with my arms extended and i want that gun as close to me to control it and keep it from getting grabbed. i would love to do some close quarters stuff in the future.

over all a great experience for a new class.

Sounds similar to the NE Shooters defensive handgun offering (2 days). Very eye opening.

It's been a while, I need to take another class - where did they hold the one you took?

Congratulations on taking the course, obviously education is important with firearms. As you state, pratice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature. Enjoy the sport in a safe manner, and be able to protect yourself and your loved ones if ever needed. [grin]

I was also in this class. Overall, a great experience. Great group of instructors. They all come from different backgrounds which is great. This class is an excellent platform for people who already took the basic pistol course and are like "now what do i do?" Lots of hands-on with a crazy amount of bang sticks, flash lights, holsters etc. We did a little bit of role playing where they put us in possible real-life situations and tossed a few curves at us to see how we reacted. Even though we knew some of what was about to happen, most of us did something that we know we shouldnt have done, but when put in a stressfull situation, sometimes things go wrong. It was great to get those mistakes out in a safe environment so hopefully they dont happen in real life. This class makes you realize that going to the range, and shooting at paper targets 50 feet away just isnt enough. I'd definitley be interested in more classes put on by these guys. Though the class ran around 5 hours, it really didnt feel that long. Again, the instructors were great. Kept thing very interesting. Definitely a required class for those of us who want be able to perform in a safe and efficient manner when confronted with those intending to do harm to us.

Back
Top Bottom