• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

changing gun trends

My crusade is to hunt down infidels who blaspheme the 1911. Shame! Shame! Shame!

katm5bep9d971.jpg

And snubbies definitely have their niche. I prefer them as a last resort weapon- you know, throw them at the BG because there is no way in hell I'm going to hit the target with a snubbie.

shame-gameofthrones.gif

Lol except I actually didn't, I complimented it. If you wanted to have a rounded trigger guard, the 1911 did it in the way that was least dumb, but the fact that the trigger is set far back
allows this to happen. 1911 trigger guards dont consume a lot of unecessary space.

I'm wondering what really caused the striker fire over hammer fired trend.

Just seems that everything is striker now a days and only classic style guns(92,226,911) etc are hammer.

Very few newish pistols are hammer fired. (Fnx45, hk45, p30)
In addition to the above comments, strikers are just simpler mechanically.

I'm observing a shift to a lot of what I'll call fashion statement designer rifle cartridges..... For example 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5 PRC. I view these in much of the same light as when everyone wanted a 300 blackout... Now you never hear about that cartridge anymore.

Cartridges like the 6.5 are curious to me and I don't get the sudden shift to them. They do not outperform the cartridges they're intended to replace in the hunting world. Mainly the .270, 30-06, and the .308. They're also generally more expensive, harder to find, and underperform on larger game like elk. The higher chamber pressures mean barrels don't last as long. I don't get the appeal.

Over 100 years and the 30-06 still remains one of the most popular hunting cartridges and rifle chamberings... 100 years from now, will we say the same about the 6.5 options or the bastardized 30 cal options stuffed into a 5.56 case? I very much doubt it.

These are pocket guns, please read what I wrote, for once.
I quoted what you wrote, a couple times. Did you read what I wrote? I took the original trigger on whatever gun it was, CUT OFF THE CORNER (MAKING IT SMALLER). You then said it was bigger, endless arm flapping ad nauseum.

?????

1665860939139.png

Last edited:
Cartridges like the 6.5 are curious to me and I don't get the sudden shift to them. They do not outperform the cartridges they're intended to replace in the hunting world. Mainly the .270, 30-06, and the .308. They're also generally more expensive, harder to find, and underperform on larger game like elk. The higher chamber pressures mean barrels don't last as long. I don't get the appeal.
They didn't come out of the hunting world. They came out of the long range precision rifle matches world. It is my impression that at long ranges they are more accurate.

Not opinion, fact, ugly guns outsell the "nice" looking ones all the time. I mean theres a hard bottom limit Taurus Curves, Shit Points etc, scare some people off based off
appearance but thats the exception, lol. I mean look at this ugly ass hunk of shit- and this little shit-pistol is one of the most popular guns smith makes...

I took it, and drew a line INSIDE the old one.

thats not what it looked like to me

it looks like shite. [rofl]

see above

smaller, opinion

Not sure where you pulled that one out of.

We covered this already. You broke the gun by effing with the dust cover and the RSA, striker etc. You can't make the gun shorter without f***ing it up. There are "parts in there that do things. "

The dude at Kahr (Justin Moon?) that designed those guns would be laughing at you right now. The entire philosophy behind those things was to conserve space. he even has a f***ing patent in those guns for a special camming trigger mechanism... the entire intent of which is to reduce the amount of space things take up. I implicitly trust his judgement a lot more than someone who is trying to screw up a perfectly good design by messing with it for the sake of looks.

Nobody cares this much. If you want a pretty looking movie prop go buy a nice Fort Smith or old pre S&W PPK, you can't get anything more elegant and in that venue where "looks matter" you can use screen magic to make it have 500SW power at up to 200 yards just like in the Bond movies. [laugh]

Not for nothing, but you gotta wonder if Kahr is going to come up with something new soon to leapfrog the PM9 and 365. Sure hope so. I don't think they are just sitting back on their heels. You never know.

Last edited:
Not for nothing, but you gotta wonder if Kahr is going to come up with something new soon to leapfrog the PM9 and 365. Sure hope so. I don't think they are just sitting back on the heels. You never know.

I think they would probably want to but theres also this problem in the industry where if you miss the boat you can't catch up to it and get back on it.

Look at ruger with the LCP Pro Max whatever 9mm. As well as the SW Shield Max Plus whatever its called. Both DECENT guns, but horrible sellers volume wise vs the P365. They were
literally too late to the party and they missed the bus.

Kahr has a lot of nice guns but they have that Kel Tec problem of getting 8/10 of the way there.

Also something like the P365 is going to be a very hard thing to follow, and theres a possibility sig has some patents in play in that gun somewhere that might bar someone from
tickling them for awhile.

Its a bit like "law of diminishing returns" comes to mind.

Kahr hasn't done anything in a long time. I'm a Kahr fan. I still own a few. My PM9 is my pocket gun. But in today's world of P365s and Glock 43s, the PM9/MK9 is looking old. The K9 is a lovely gun, but I don't carry it anymore -- I carry a 43x instead. The market has passed Kahr by and they are a dying brand.

Last edited:
I'm observing a shift to a lot of what I'll call fashion statement designer rifle cartridges..... For example 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5 PRC. I view these in much of the same light as when everyone wanted a 300 blackout... Now you never hear about that cartridge anymore.

Over 100 years and the 30-06 still remains one of the most popular hunting cartridges and rifle chamberings... 100 years from now, will we say the same about the 6.5 options or the bastardized 30 cal options stuffed into a 5.56 case? I very much doubt it.
As another stated, 6.5 “manbun” is the one of most popular cartridge for long range precision shooting. Don’t know many who hunt with it, but I’m sure many do.

From what I gather, 6.5 does everything just a bit better than the cartridges you listed.

.30-06 is more versatile and the best all around hunting cartridge in North America, but the recoil is significantly more than 6.5, so it’s not really the go-to for long practice sessions. 6.5 is also a little bit better with wind resistance and ballistic coefficient.

308 and 6.5 are pretty much the same, for the 99% of us. 6.5 is a bit better in terms of ballistics, but there’s no huge difference that the layman will notice.

The true comparison is .270 in terms of ballistics. It’s really similar to 6.5 at distance, and most of us wouldn’t notice a difference. But the recoil is a bit more, and it’s a long action cartridge.

Most people who shoot F class or whatever want a short action, accurate, low recoil round for long range precision. The 6.5 does all of that, and it is just a bit better than .308, .270 and .30-06. All of these cartridges are fine for just about anything you want to do. However, like many things it comes down to gals and dudes buying new tech.

Biggest issue with 6.5 is burning barrels. Alligator skin crackling in the throat and a noticeable loss of accuracy after a few thousand rounds.

Disclaimer: I don’t shoot long range precision. Iron sights until my eyes give out and then maybe I’ll buy a rifle that has more plastic than wood

Apparently the 6mm PRC has low enough recoil that you don't lose your view through the scope when you take the shot. As a result, you can call your own shots, which is useful in PRC rifle competitions.

I adopted 6.5 grendel because it had similar performance to a .308 and I could slap an upper on the same lower vs carrying another rifle.

If it ever came to it.
It doesn't deliver as much energy, but like others have said it's more accurate at range

Also something like the P365 is going to be a very hard thing to follow, and theres a possibility sig has some patents in play in that gun somewhere that might bar someone from
tickling them for awhile.

Its a bit like "law of diminishing returns" comes to mind.
Similar size with a 1911 style trigger would be something lots of people would go for.

Look at ruger with the LCP Pro Max whatever 9mm. As well as the SW Shield Max Plus whatever its called. Both DECENT guns, but horrible sellers volume wise vs the P365. They were
literally too late to the party and they missed the bus.
Ruger did a great job of packaging a lot into that little pistol, and it does beat the P365 in being smaller in every dimension. The only "problem" is that it is in 9x17, not 9x19mm. With modern ammunition, that difference might not really matter all that much. Size trumps all here for pocket guns.

For non-pocket guns, then 9x19 with whatever capacity the P365 has is probably preferable, with a slightly larger package to hold onto. The PM9 falls in between these two, and the Glock 43 is bigger than all of them.

I see. You wrote K9, not PM9. It's like I forgot they even make the full sized guns still, the compacts are so popular; so I completely missed that, and read it as PM9. Sorry. So, to clarify, you carry a PM9 in your pocket, and a Glock 43 in a holster?

Wouldn't it make more sense to carry a PM9 in pocket, and K9 in holster, so you can use the same magazines? Or do they use different magazines?

Last edited:
I see. You wrote K9, not PM9. I completely missed that, and read it as PM9. Sorry. So, to clarify, you carry a PM9 in your pocket, and a P43 in a holster?

Wouldn't it make more sense to carry a PM9 in pocket, and K9 in holster, so you can use the same magazines? Or do they use different magazines?
PM9 in pocket, 43x in a holster.

Lol except I actually didn't, I complimented it. If you wanted to have a rounded trigger guard, the 1911 did it in the way that was least dumb, but the fact that the trigger is set far back
allows this to happen. 1911 trigger guards dont consume a lot of unecessary space.
I remember your prior transgressions. Aren't you part of the 1911 is for old farts crowd? [rofl]

IMHO a squared off trigger guard only makes sense for compacts and subcompacts if you grip in a manner that requires somewhere to rest your weak hand trigger finger. Full size? It looks cool but I'm not going to use it. Exhibit A:

920896a4.jpg

The P80 folks did a nice job of designing the P45 frame. If completed with reasonable care they function well and IMHO they look great- but that big ass trigger guard is aesthetic, not really that functional.

Ruger did a great job of packaging a lot into that little pistol, and it does beat the P365 in being smaller in every dimension. The only "problem" is that it is in 9x17, not 9x19mm. With modern ammunition, that difference might not really matter all that much. Size trumps all here for pocket guns.

That's not the gun I was referring to. [rofl] Ruger makes a small 9 x 19 (max-9) that tries to compete with the 365 and the ShieldPluswhatever..

Sorry I used the term "LCP" but thats not in the LCP series.

I just hope we don’t trend towards smart guns/Finger prints/biometrics..

My revolver is trapped in this shit safe… My fingerprints don’t work because I have office hands when I originally set it up I had working hands..

Sure it has a combo and a key override.. The key is in one of my other safes… The combos probably something really simple.

The whole safe storage law thing is stupid if you don’t have children.

I couldn’t imagine a firearm that you can just pull the trigger on. Seems to me like the added safety measure makes you less safe…

That's not the gun I was referring to. [rofl] Ruger makes a small 9 x 19 (max-9) that tries to compete with the 365 and the ShieldPluswhatever..

Sorry I used the term "LCP" but thats not in the LCP series.
Let's face it, they have too many models, all with similar names. At least Beretta had Bobcat, Tomcat, etc. so you could differentiate.

Let's face it, they have too many models, all with similar names. At least Beretta had Bobcat, Tomcat, etc. so you could differentiate.
The thing with plastic guns is that you can change the look, specs and/or features quickly and often. 🤪

Isn't modern plastics technology wonderful. [laugh]

This is pure gold, thanks for taking the time to write this out. Was just telling someone the other day, the 94AWB was responsible for making ARs the most popular rifle ever.
The AR exists to give citizens a weapon to make themselves a significant threat to the Federal Government and therefore remain free of tyranny and elitist rule from the throne or an after action invasion by a foreign military.

To deny either of these possibilities is dishonest or naive - both of these actions have and do occur throughout modern history and to suppose these scenarios cant happen in the USA is being challenged in both cases.

My interests are with reloading for the Ruger Predator in .223 Remington for target practice (pleasure) and experimenting with brass bullets and primers all ingredients becoming oddly difficult to find.

Anyone out there finding components becoming skimpy - Alaska here and haven't seen powder or primers in two year... odd?

Idk what caliber I'd want it in. I'm tired of .357 and .38, 9mm would just be a waste, I dont think .44 or .45 would fit, so I guess 10mm because that's what I want everything in these days.
If you miss with a 10 mm and hit with a 22 LR which is the most effective?

You do BOTH? What you said makes sense now. I barely have room for the smallest, so it does not compute for me to do both, especially with bigger one already downsized a little.
No, you are misunderstanding. I rarely carry two guns.

If I am pocket carrying, then I carry the PM9 in a pocket holster. If I am carrying in a belt holster, my next step up in size is the Glock 43x. Next above that is a Glock 19. In warmer weather, I am more likely to carry the 43x than the 19. In colder weather, more likely to carry the 19 than the 43x. The PM9 is reserved for hot summer days when I don’t want to wear a cover garment.

I don’t carry the PM9 in a belt holster — that would be pointless. I don’t carry the 43x in a pocket holster — it’s too big for that.

Back
Top Bottom