Changing combination on Stack On Elite Gun Safe - Mechanical dial

icyclefar

NES Member
I have a Stack On Elite 24 gun safe with a mechanical dial. These dials are made in China for Stack On, they do not use a "change key".

Does anyone know the procedure for changing the combination on their mechanical dials?

I do have the current combination, so entry is not an issue.

I have removed the inner door skin, the dial has three plates with punched holes throughout. Each plate has a pin in one hole. I am assuming the the location of the pin corresponds to the number on the dial.

If someone has the instructions on changing these it would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I know I could call a lock smith, but what fun would that be. [smile]

I've thought about changing the combination on one of mine, to match my other safe. It looks to me like it can be done by cutting new notches in the plate and possibly having to move some pins and tabs if the current locations make it impossible to enter you new code. The downside I see is that unless you fill the old notches then the plates could become week and the old combination would also still work. Given your background, I'm sure you could do it.

Did you call and see if custom plates can be ordered with a new combination keyed?

These dials were designed to allow them to be changed. I'm pretty certain all that needs to be done is to move the pin locations. My guess is that stack On provides a "map" of the holes in the dials to correspond to the desired numbers. Just looking to see if someone out there might have the instructions.

I have a small in-wall safe (not my gun safe) and wanted to swap out my dial-lock with a touch-pad. I got a locksmith to quote me a price. Summary, the cost to swap out the lock (parts+labor+BS) was more than a new safe + installation. So guess what.....

Watch how the dial moves with the back off and then move the first number's pin by one notch on the plate. You should be able to figure out if it went backwards or forwards and by how many numbers at that point by observing it from behind. Make sure you mark the original location and if you understand how it works now, change it to what you want.

I know there are certain "zones" you need to keep the numbers out of depending where it is on the sequence. I would only change the numbers from their originals by maybe 10 or so just so you dont have problems.

Do this at your own risk as I think this will work and I am certtainly not a safe expert.

good luck

I myself would not chage the factory number until you know of the bad number areas in the combinations or somone like Rob shows up and chimes in...

The Sack-On locks are a bit different from the more common S&G in that you can try two numbers, then test all possible third digits by moving to each one and attempting an opening - thus giving you what is, in effect, two numbers of security. I would therefore not expect the change procedure to be the same as on the more common locks.

I have the same safe. I pulled the inner panel and removed the looking nut. I simply rotated one of the plate and pin assemblies. I then watched as I rotated the dial until I knew the new combo. I didn't choose the numbers I wanted, but it was different then the previous factory setting . It was not that hard at all.

I have the same safe. I pulled the inner panel and removed the looking nut. I simply rotated one of the plate and pin assemblies. I then watched as I rotated the dial until I knew the new combo. I didn't choose the numbers I wanted, but it was different then the previous factory setting . It was not that hard at all.

That is essentially the answer.

You have two options.

You can take the middle plate in the wheel pack and flip it

OR

You can swap the inner and outer plates

Either way you will need to decipher the new combination by watching the wheel movements prior to putting the door back together.

I got a quote from a local locksmith to change my combination on my Stack on safe. He wanted $125 including travel to my home.

I have a Stack On Elite 24 gun safe with a mechanical dial. These dials are made in China for Stack On, they do not use a "change key".

Does anyone know the procedure for changing the combination on their mechanical dials?

I have removed the inner door skin, the dial has three plates with punched holes throughout. Each plate has a pin in one hole. I am assuming the the location of the pin corresponds to the number on the dial.

If someone has the instructions on changing these it would be greatly appreciated.

I was at a loss on how to change my combination. After a little thought I figured out that this type of lock is capable of being changed to one other combination and it is very easy. Open the safe door and remove the panel. Leave the door unlocked so the combination plates do not turn. You will see the nut surrounded by the “locking fingers” that keep it from unscrewing. There is a cross bar that is fitted into two nubs. We want to clock the crossbar to the right and put it on the two other nubs. To do this, pull the lock fingers away from the bolt with your fingers. Unscrew the nut 3-1/2 turns. Pull the cross bar toward you so that you can rotate it to the right. Use the dial on the other side to help you rotate the cross bar to the other two hubs. Tighten the nut exactly 3-1/2 turns and bend the locking fingers over the nut. To determine the new combination lock the safe by pulling the lever WHILE THE DOOR IS OPEN. Turn the dial 3 times to the right then look at the innermost combination plate while turning the dial to the right until you see the long slot line up with the horizontal unlock bar. Write down the number that the dial is on. Next look at the middle combination plate while turning the dial to the left until you see the long slot line up with the horizontal unlock bar. Write down the number that the dial is on. Finally, look at the closest combination plate while turning the dial to the right until you see the long slot line up with the horizontal unlock bar. Write down the number that the dial is on. WITH THE DOOR OPEN, lock the safe with the lever then open it with your new combination. If it does not open smoothly look at the plates you might have to add or subtract 1 to one of the combination numbers to get it just right. Lock and unlock the safe with the door open to make sure the combination works well. To get a general idea of what we are doing look at this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZjHVWeK9q0

After thinking about some more I believe that a total of 4 combinations are possible since there are 4 nubs on the plate closest to you. The pins serve two purposes. One is to get all of the plates rotating at one time, and the second is to determine what individual numbers will make up the combination. Since the individual numbers don't matter to most of us, you don't need to mess with them. The combination dial on the front of the safe only turns the plate closest to you. The pin from that plate makes contact with the middle plate after one right turn. Both plates now turn together until the pin on the second (middle) plate makes contact with the inside plate after another turn. When you change the combination all three numbers will change by the same amount. My combination changed by +20 by moving the cross bar one nub to the right. For example if your previous combination was 10-80-90 your new combination will be 30-0-10.

Back
Top Bottom