1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Changing a Circuit Breaker.....How?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Paul455, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

my recent experiences show that things really have changed lately. tools are different, materials are different, and there are NEW safety standards and practices you should follow.

Like the whole arc fault thing....never heard of it until a few years ago.

Found out recently that OSHA requires you to wear a hard hat when using a nail gun. Presumably someone figure out how to nailgun their skull....

Ways to waterproof doors and windows have drastically changed recently.

Chemicals and materials that used to be common, are now considered to be totally dangerous. Like Methylene Chloride paint remover, asbestos insulation, heck even dust from concrete cutting operations will kill you! Fumes from "great stuff" foam insulation are dangerous too!

NOBODY sweat solders copper pipes for plumbing anymore...its either sharkbite if you are a duffer, crimp if a pro, or pex pipe.

and on and on.

So i guess what i am saying...you have to try to keep up on the latest methods and safety procedures. things DO change.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019

2. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

If you don't use the same brand breaker as the panel, you need one that is classified for that panel. Pros know which ones these are; DIY types guess.

The general way to cut full power to a house is to cut the seal off the electric meter and pull it. And no, I don't know what the electric company does when they find a missing seal.

W.E.C likes this.
  3. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

A friend was seriously hurt in an unfused main disconnect. He was badly burned and disfigured. Out of work for several years recovering. Luckily not killed.

4. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    I was installing a GFCI breaker, and the [email protected]#$ thing kept tripping.

Hell, I even read the instructions!

I found a tiny nick in the black wire, in a box, at the far end of the run.

Fun.

5. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

6. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

7. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

AHM and xtry51 like this.
  8. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

9. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

10. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

remember a high power microwave source i had once for testing components. It came with a long rexolite rod with a metal hook at the end, and a braided wire hooked from the end to the power supply chassis. You use the hook to discharge the 10KV capacitor that powered the microwave tube! It was an old unit, with no instructions on exactly how to use it (except for a sticker warning of XRays!). We gave it a wide berth in the lab

11. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Do you mean cover on the panel? Pretty hard to close a breaker if the door is closed.:D

12. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

I have some Klein Tools does that make me an electrician? ;)

upload_2019-6-29_7-44-17.png

upload_2019-6-29_7-46-41.png

When there's a tool there's a way.

Palladin likes this.
  13. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Yes.

Years ago, I was working for a company, mainly doing conveyor installs. Lots of wiring, as well as mechanical stuff.

One day, I was on a ladder, in a drop ceiling from the chest up....along comes a tin-knocker, who upon seeing the Klein screwdriver in my back pocket, says, "Hey Sparkey....."

See...the tool makes the trade. [laugh]

AHM and mibro like this.
  14. n1bsbri

n1bsbri NES Member

Known by the cool kids as a "Jesus Stick". [smile]

Spanz likes this.
  15. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

AHM likes this.
  16. TLB

TLB

Yep. With the costs these days, even more valuable...

17. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

The former president of the Hopkinton club was a professional electrician with a good reputation.

One day he was doing contract work for a cable company, hit the 13.4kv line while in a bucket truck, got thrown out (he didn't waste time hooking up a safety harness), burned himself, hit his head on the truck on the way down and became an aware but immovable vegetable. Until he died of pneumonia a few years later he communicated by lifting his had or finger a couple of inches when his caretaker ran his/her fingers across a letterboard. Truly a fate worse than death.

And he was a pro.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  18. M1911

That’s horrible. But replacing a circuit breaker isn’t the same as working in a bucket truck around a 13.4kv line.

xtry51 likes this.
  19. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Yep you are good to go. Those are older tools, so just stay under 440 volts
    :)

AHM likes this.
  20. mibro

mibro NES Member

Whenever I've had stitches I've always pulled them out myself. Never actually done the stitching though.

It's not - for you. It's the Dunning-Kruger types that light themselves up.

I've told this story before but the last time I had pros in to redo my recessed kitchen lights they left a box in the middle of my kitchen ceiling. I reminded them I'd asked them to redo the wiring so as not to leave a ceiling box with a cover, came back an hour later and they'd flipped the box and plastered over the hole. Doh. The pros hide behind their licenses to do the shittiest job possible imho. It's only a code violation when I do it.

21. M1911

Before we renovated our kitchen, we had an electric range. The wires from the breaker box to the range were apparently to code when the house was built but undersized by current code. So I paid an electrician to replace that line.

You know what that electrician did? He pulled the new wires from the breaker box to the back of a kitchen cabinet. Put a box in the back of the cabinet where he tied the new wires into the old, with the old wires still going to the outlet for the range.

The whole point of this exercise was to improve safety by replacing the entire line, which he didn’t do and then he hid it from me.

I didn’t find out what he did until we replaced the range a few years later. As you might imagine, I’ll never give that hack another dime.

mibro likes this.
  22. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

440 scares the crap out of me. Serious arc potential, or so I have been told.

23. yanici

yanici NES Member

Yep. Had 480 blow up in my face on two different occasions. I was operating the circuit breakers. One time turning it on and second time turning it off. It is a very loud, violent explosion. The time I got it while turning one off I got serious welder's flash and went blind for at least 10 minutes. My glasses had molten copper embedded in them. I believe both instances were caused by faulty or dirty breakers.

24. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Forum Curmudgeon NES Member

Years ago in Albuquerque, there was an electrician on a construction site who would impress the young guys by checking if the service was live by swiping his finger real fast across the terminals in the temporary service box.
    He got away with it until his first commercial job, where the power company had previously installed a transformer for 480V service.....he lost that finger...and his job!

SgtHal75 likes this.
  25. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

The standard procedures pros use is to work on a hot 110/220 panel if pulling the meter would be required to deactivate the entire panel. Thsi advice falls into the "easy to give, sometimes difficult to follow" category.

26. qqac

qqac

That's why you shouldn't hire pros. Remember the DEA guy? "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to carry a Glock 40" and then he NDs.

27. Winchester73

Winchester73

Don't forget the soap.

The whole point of this thread is that electrical work can be dangerous. You can do it right every day for 30 years and than that one time you become careless or complacent you get hurt or worse. There are no second chances with electricity.

Just like guns.

Electricians are a learned trade, just like anything else. The difference from other trades is that a mistake can be fatal or result in a fire. When's the last time a plumber drowned somebody?

SgtHal75 and M1911 like this.
  28. M1911

Plumbers have burned down houses ...

xtry51 likes this.
  29. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

Toast

jron likes this.
  30. ront02769

ront02769 NES Member

Tell the never sweat deal to the last three plumbers that I’ve dealt with installing the all in one baseboard heat and home hot water systems that hang on a wall. Unbelievable number of pipes, shut offs, etc, on the wall, all sweated....although the hot water switches to pex to make its rounds to the fixtures. And these guys would sweat it and wipe it clean, not a drip or bump to be found. Outstanding work.

Winchester73 likes this.