Changes in the background checks for LTC renewal

A friend of mine who is in his 60's and lived in two adjacent towns in Ma for his entire life and is a local business owner, has had his LTC for well over 25 years. The LTC has been renewed a number of times with no problem. He recently was renewing again and the State kicked it back as rejected because of an assault case when he was 19 years old. This was over 40 years ago. At the time he took the charge and paid a fine. The local police were really sorry and said there was nothing they could do about it.

This is a lifetime local citizen. A business owner. No other blemishes on his record. Treated like a criminal.

They tried the same thing on me 6 years ago. Suspended my LTC and green card for something that happened in 1986 in Ohio.

City and State had all of the appropriate paperwork explaining the outcome of the court case, fell on deaf ears.

Spent a lot of money to fight the law and I won. Don't let your friend give up. If it is his hobby like it is mine, the money will be well spent.

This is often not really a conviction but a mistake that is entered in error by a summer intern at cjis. As they go through old handwritten probation cards and dockets lots of non conviction dispositions look like guilty findings. It takes some digging but can often be corrected unless it really was a guilty in which case you have to try to vacate the conviction which is much more difficult.

A friend of mine who is in his 60's and lived in two adjacent towns in Ma for his entire life and is a local business owner, has had his LTC for well over 25 years. The LTC has been renewed a number of times with no problem. He recently was renewing again and the State kicked it back as rejected because of an assault case when he was 19 years old. This was over 40 years ago. At the time he took the charge and paid a fine. The local police were really sorry and said there was nothing they could do about it.

This is a lifetime local citizen. A business owner. No other blemishes on his record. Treated like a criminal.
How in Hell is this crap not a full on violation of your Fifth Amendment Rights? The case was adjudicated years ago. At the time it would NOT have caused any revocation of you LTC. At the time many simply settled the case and moved on because it was simply easier to do so. At the time if people knew this crap would be dragged up decades later they most certainly would have handled it differently. Now they don't have that chance.

When that stupid 1999 law went into effect it did not start from that point forward, it went retroactive. This is a clear case of being convicted of the same offense twice, i e double jeopardy, without a doubt. If the offense would not have resulted in an LTC suspension 40 years ago then to make it one today is the very definition of being convicted of an offense twice. I get it, the fact that the Communists in MA don't care about the United States Constitution should not deter someone from taking cases like this to a Federal Court, or even the SCOTUS.

I'll preface my comments with the following: NO way do I agree that a law passed long after the fact should be used to punish (again) those that were already punished and "paid their dues" for past transgressions. Also there should be a measure of "dangerousness" used in making any judgement against a person such that they lose the ability to protect themselves or family for the rest of their lives.

How is that a public safety issue? 40 yrs ago! WTF
In many cases it isn't! To wit, leaning a loaded rifle against the bumper of a car/truck while out hunting . . . something that retroactively burnt probably a few thousand former gun owners in MA!

How in Hell is this crap not a full on violation of your Fifth Amendment Rights? The case was adjudicated years ago. At the time it would NOT have caused any revocation of you LTC. At the time many simply settled the case and moved on because it was simply easier to do so. At the time if people knew this crap would be dragged up decades later they most certainly would have handled it differently. Now they don't have that chance.

When that stupid 1999 law went into effect it did not start from that point forward, it went retroactive. This is a clear case of being convicted of the same offense twice, i e double jeopardy, without a doubt. If the offense would not have resulted in an LTC suspension 40 years ago then to make it one today is the very definition of being convicted of an offense twice. I get it, the fact that the Communists in MA don't care about the United States Constitution should not deter someone from taking cases like this to a Federal Court, or even the SCOTUS.
Because "gunzzz" no courts in Mass or USDC 1st District will adjudicate such a case in accordance with Constitutional law.

When I last had a renewal I was at the local pd. The "cop" was joking about denying some one because his/her sealed, mind you sealed record was too thick. Your masters have a poor sense of humor.
The 1998 law allows LE to OPEN all sealed cases for purposes of denying FID/LTC.

In many cases it isn't! To wit, leaning a loaded rifle against the bumper of a car/truck while out hunting . . . something that retroactively burnt probably a few thousand former gun owners in MA!

I deal with a lot of hunters and families of hunters and it'd be good if I could put my hands on cases where this has happened. I've also heard tell of minor violations picked up while hunting (which might normally result in a slap on the wrist) being used to create lifetime PPs due to the connection with firearms during hunting season. Do you have any specific cites available for this kind of thing? Thanks, Len!

Only lambs without blemish will be granted blessings...

iu

In an another state besides the communist ones or if he is a police officer and this guy is GTG. How is that not 2nd class citizen?

I'll preface my comments with the following: NO way do I agree that a law passed long after the fact should be used to punish (again) those that were already punished and "paid their dues" for past transgressions. Also there should be a measure of "dangerousness" used in making any judgement against a person such that they lose the ability to protect themselves or family for the rest of their lives.

Because "gunzzz" no courts in Mass or USDC 1st District will adjudicate such a case in accordance with Constitutional law.

The 1998 law allows LE to OPEN all sealed cases for purposes of denying FID/LTC.
It happened in 2016, Lynn pd

I deal with a lot of hunters and families of hunters and it'd be good if I could put my hands on cases where this has happened. I've also heard tell of minor violations picked up while hunting (which might normally result in a slap on the wrist) being used to create lifetime PPs due to the connection with firearms during hunting season. Do you have any specific cites available for this kind of thing? Thanks, Len!
GOAL back in the ~2000 time-frame was the source of my info, so perhaps they can point you to more info but I suspect that they won't give out names for confidentiality reasons. I know that over the years people have mentioned being burnt by this, but have no recall on exactly who it was since it was "discussion in passing".

Its fn disgusting, imagine in a few years your posts if non politically correct will be used against you, say you mention that Maura Healey is a twat waffle

I take exception to this characterization.

Have you ever actual had twat waffles? Frigging delicious. Especially with Maple syrup and whipped cream. Please find another term for the lying, cheating b***h.

Shame of it is, if he were up for murder they couldn't bring up the last 3 he committed.

How would this not get reversed in court? The guy had his license for 25 years and now they're going to deny him for something that happened prior to that 25 year period? Only in Massachusetts but i'm tired of that BS.

How would this not get reversed in court? The guy had his license for 25 years and now they're going to deny him for something that happened prior to that 25 year period? Only in Massachusetts but i'm tired of that BS.

Why would it get reversed in court? He was convicted of a crime that precludes issuance of an LTC. The fact that it wasn’t seen in previous background checks is immaterial.

Don’t confuse “right and wrong” or “reasonable” with the “justice” system. The “justice” system isn’t about right, wrong, or justice.

Back
Top Bottom