• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Changes coming to UTAH non-res permit.

Looks like the Governor of Utah is expected to sign off on changes to that state's non-resident permit - http://le.utah.gov/~2011/bills/sbillamd/sb0036s01.pdf

Highlights:

- If your own State permit does not honor the Utah permit or does not have reciprocity with Utah - you cannot get a Utah permit

- Current UTAH permit holders will be affected by this law when they try to renew their permit anytime after January 1, 2012

I am confused. the pdf at your link shows the reciprocity part crossed out farther down in the body.

For a second time, I will point out that the restrictive reciprocity language is crossed out in the body of the document link posted. Am I the only one who read the doc and wonders what this means?

For a second time, I will point out that the restrictive reciprocity language is crossed out in the body of the document link posted. Am I the only one who read the doc and wonders what this means?

Read it again. I think the part that was crossed out was redundant.

This hasn't passed, has it? It seems to be a mean spirited piece of legislation aimed at punishing those of us that live in Fudd States. It does nothing to assisit the law abiding gun owners.

Looks like the Governor of Utah is expected to sign off on changes to that state's non-resident permit - http://le.utah.gov/~2011/bills/sbillamd/sb0036s01.pdf

Highlights:

- If your own State permit does not honor the Utah permit or does not have reciprocity with Utah - you cannot get a Utah permit

- Current UTAH permit holders will be affected by this law when they try to renew their permit anytime after January 1, 2012

Better renew your Utah permit on the last week in December of this year if you're in MA.. to "maximize" its life...

I've been searching around and the consencus is that we, in MA, will still be able to renew as long as we have a current license in our home state. Here's what I got off a Calguns board:
So the fix is in, and we have nothing to worry about. This amendment passed the Senate 28-0. This now applies to only those who LIVE in a free state that has a reciprocity agreement with Utah.

For those (of us) who live in the USSR of Kaliphorhniah, or other states (where the Constitution is void or prohibited by law), you can still get your permit from Utah.

I talked with Rep. Oda, and he (and Valentine) had no problem with putting in this fix so we can continue to renew, and others could get their Utah permit. Even if you live in a shall issue state, but that state doesn't have a reciprocity agreement, you can get your Utah permit.

This bill affects ONLY THOSE who live in states that have reciprocity agreements with Utah. The bill is like saying "HAY, those who live in shall issue states that have reciprocity agreements need to get a permit from your own state before getting one from Utah".

I hope this clears this up.

I've been searching around and the consencus is that we, in MA, will still be able to renew as long as we have a current license in our home state. Here's what I got off a Calguns board:
So the fix is in, and we have nothing to worry about. This amendment passed the Senate 28-0. This now applies to only those who LIVE in a free state that has a reciprocity agreement with Utah.

For those (of us) who live in the USSR of Kaliphorhniah, or other states (where the Constitution is void or prohibited by law), you can still get your permit from Utah.

I talked with Rep. Oda, and he (and Valentine) had no problem with putting in this fix so we can continue to renew, and others could get their Utah permit. Even if you live in a shall issue state, but that state doesn't have a reciprocity agreement, you can get your Utah permit.

This bill affects ONLY THOSE who live in states that have reciprocity agreements with Utah. The bill is like saying "HAY, those who live in shall issue states that have reciprocity agreements need to get a permit from your own state before getting one from Utah".

I hope this clears this up.

Wow, that's really good news. I sure hope it works out that way. I am not doubting you, but you know how forums can be. [wink]

That's the way I read the bill, too. While the "general description" of the bill (which has no legal effect) says that it would limit non-resident permits to those with resident permits or licenses from states that recognize the Utah permit, the only actual language to that effect in the bill itself is stricken out.

The bill will, however, make it harder to get a Utah license by making things more difficult for Utah instructors. We currently have to go out to Utah for a short class every time our certification comes up for renewal. Utah BCI currently conducts these classes every month, and they're always filled several months ahead of time. This bill explicitly limits these classes to twice a year. The bill also ups the instructor fees significantly, and also requires all instructors to hold a Utah license, meaning more paperwork and expenses for instructors who don't currently hold one.

As with the previous revisions to Utah law that first created the instructor classes and the "instructor seal" requirement (now effectively gutted), this looks like another clever solution desperately in search of a problem.

Ken

Well, Ken, that ain't so nice. There will be a shortage of Utah instructors because of this, I believe.

Be a good time right now to get the Utah license while the class is being offered. Who knows how many classes there will be down the road.

I think Florida will end up picking up the slack.

Jon Greene just got certified last month or earlier this month, which would mean that GOAL should be running classes at least until 2014. My certification runs until next May. Maybe I should start looking to book my refresher class the day this is signed.

Ken

I just got off the phone with Utah. As has been previously mentioned this law will not affect Mass residents. All this law will do is require that residents in states that recognize the Utah permit must get a permit in their home state before they can get a Utah permit.

Here are two examples of who the law will affect:

As it stands now a Texas resident can take the 4 hour Utah class and skip taking the 10 hour Texas class. This is changed with the new law.

Another example is from PA. As it stands now a PA resident, living in Philadelphia, can sidestep their licensing authority by just getting the Utah permit. This law will prevent this.

This law will not affect anyone in a New England state.

At the Mass Firearms School we run several of these classes every month. We also add shoot don't shoot judgmental shooting to the class. Green's get a 15% discount ($85).

Mass Firearms School
www.MassFirearmsSchool.com
[email protected]
781-559-3064

I just got off the phone with Utah. As has been previously mentioned this law will not affect Mass residents. All this law will do is require that residents in states that recognize the Utah permit must get a permit in their home state before they can get a Utah permit.

Here are two examples of who the law will affect:

As it stands now a Texas resident can take the 4 hour Utah class and skip taking the 10 hour Texas class. This is changed with the new law.

Another example is from PA. As it stands now a PA resident, living in Philadelphia, can sidestep their licensing authority by just getting the Utah permit. This law will prevent this.

This law will not affect anyone in a New England state.

At the Mass Firearms School we run several of these classes every month. We also add shoot don't shoot judgmental shooting to the class. Green's get a 15% discount ($85).

Mass Firearms School
www.MassFirearmsSchool.com
[email protected]
781-559-3064

Excellent, thanks for the clarification. I need to do this soon.

Well just like PA, looks like UT will be getting my application this year. Thanks for keep an eye on this.

Even if the OP's interpretation of the bill was correct, it probably wouldn't matter. First only a small fraction of bills introduced make it into law. Second, the expected judgment in Peterson v. LaCabe will be binding on Utah and would prevent Utah from discrimination in the issuance of non-resident permits based upon state of residence.

For those of you on the North shore / Woburn Area,

Down Range Firearms Training will be offering classes on a weekly basis. We are located at 76R Winn Street, Suite 3C, Woburn, MA 01801. Please call or email us if you would like to attend the Utah CCW class.

Thank you,

John Jouvelis, Training Coordinator
Down Range Firearms Training
76R Winn St, #3C
Woburn, MA 01801

Contact info:

Matthew DeVito, President
[email protected]
781-520-0116

John Jouvelis
[email protected]
781-606-1382