• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Change of address form?

Hey all,

I recently moved. As such, I need to do the BS change of address thing. I was wondering if there was a specific form I had to fill out? If I understand correctly, I need to notify my previous town, my new town and the state record bureau? Also, who do I address the letters to? The chief of police?

Last edited:
NO requirement for use of any special form. NO requirement to send copies of your LTC either. A simple letter suffices to meet the law as written.

Len it seems that every time you correct me on law-type stuff, it's because I'm giving overly cautious advice.

You are correct of course. [wink]

There are some PDs now that DEMAND the form and all the BS associated. I try to abide by the LAW, but dislike bureaucrats "create" new laws by fiat!

One has to wonder WHY FRB and the IA needs a copy of your LTC when both already have a copy in their files! The new PD can bring up the info with a simple query with more info than a photocopy of said LTC, so it certainly isn't essential to their record keeping either.

Second item of note: They are only asking for a copy of the FRONT of the LTC now. Not a requirement of MGL, but, I guess I'll just use the work photocopier and save myself from any hassle in the future.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/change-of-address-notification-rev-08-20-13.pdf

Simple google search.

Len you are certainly right about the MGL requirement, but I've found this form to be quick, neat, and easy to get done. That's just my two cents.

- - - Updated - - -

Also NOTE: you can now call the FRB/DCJIS at 617-660-4722 to notify them of the change of address. Notifications still need to be made to the town, however.

Calling does NOT comply with MGL! It is a question that I posed to Michaela and awaiting an answer. Voice is also a lot easier to screw up the info than in typed form. When I called our FD dispatch (central dispatch in another town) they screwed up the name of the street and "street vs. road" on the phone . . . and that was me reporting a house fire. We have some streets where the street and road both exist and are located ~3 miles apart! I'd stick to "in writing" even if they will accept a phone call.

Second item of note: They are only asking for a copy of the FRONT of the LTC now. Not a requirement of MGL, but, I guess I'll just use the work photocopier and save myself from any hassle in the future.

Use the GOAL form.

http://www.goal.org/Documents/law_faq_pdfs/addresschange.pdf

I've used it for 3 moves. Never sent a copy of my license and never had any trouble.

It is totally ludicrous to send a copy of your LTC with the form. FRB and the IA BOTH have copies of your LTC on file and certainly don't need another one!! No idea what Jason's thought process was when he instituted that form!

There are some PDs now that DEMAND the form and all the BS associated. I try to abide by the LAW, but dislike bureaucrats "create" new laws by fiat!
One has to wonder WHY FRB and the IA needs a copy of your LTC when both already have a copy in their files!

You know why, Len. Just to create one more "hoop" for us to jump through, of course. Like my town scheduling my daughter to come in and submit her app for an FID card, telling her in November to ..."Come in February, 26th at 9am to submit your application and..."

A three month wait - just to submit an APPLICATION...For a friggin FID card!!!??????? Simply unreal. And nitwits think this sort of control is a great plan? Especially after watching Ferguson explode? Simply unf*ckinreal.

Last edited:
You know why, Len. Just to create one more "hoop" for us to jump through, of course. Like my town scheduling my daughter to come in and submit her app for an FID card, telling her in November to ..."Come in February, 26th at 9am to submit your application and..."

A three month wait - just to submit an APPLICATION...For a friggin FID card!!!??????? Simply unreal. And nitwits think this sort of control is a great plan? Especially after watching Ferguson explode? Simply unf*ckinreal.

Agreed. My Wife and I have to go thru this same BS each and every time we go for renewal. And the chief and all the ranking officers know both of us on sight. I worked for this chief for 4 years. My last renewal I dropped the paperwork the beginning of October with an appointment the beginning of December. My Wife's paperwork was dropped off the end of February with an appointment the beginning of May. Some PDs like their tough reputation. My guess is that some of them will return your paperwork if you Mail it to them (as allowed by the new law) once this section takes effect on 1/1/15. It should be an interesting time for Comm2A.

BTW, the process for an FID is identical to that for a LTC, so it doesn't surprise me that your Daughter is getting treated that way.

Calling does NOT comply with MGL! It is a question that I posed to Michaela and awaiting an answer. Voice is also a lot easier to screw up the info than in typed form. When I called our FD dispatch (central dispatch in another town) they screwed up the name of the street and "street vs. road" on the phone . . . and that was me reporting a house fire. We have some streets where the street and road both exist and are located ~3 miles apart! I'd stick to "in writing" even if they will accept a phone call.

It is totally ludicrous to send a copy of your LTC with the form. FRB and the IA BOTH have copies of your LTC on file and certainly don't need another one!! No idea what Jason's thought process was when he instituted that form!

Not to argue with you Len, but I not only received voice confirmation when I called, but I just double checked the MA Registration site and was able to validate that my information was updated, and correct. It's done. I have a letter in the mail to my PD to tie up that end, but it's that simple now.

Not to argue with you Len, but I not only received voice confirmation when I called, but I just double checked the MA Registration site and was able to validate that my information was updated, and correct. It's done. I have a letter in the mail to my PD to tie up that end, but it's that simple now.

I'm just saying that the law is very specific and anything other than Certified Mail does not comply with the law. I realize that FRB is trying to be helpful to us. My concern is that we are not in legal compliance and at any time someone could make it a problem for us when/if leadership changes.

ETA: It's not an argument, it is a concern that I have. It's like all those juvies who got in trouble but the judge/lawyer told them that they NEVER had to disclose that they were ever in court. That hasn't worked out well for those that followed "expert advice"!!

Last edited:
I would also like to point out that one letter is not to the chief where you currently live, but rather the issuing authority of your current license. For most people this is your current city or town, but if you moved twice since your license was issued, it might not be.

Telepathically uploaded via Google implants.

No problem. Don't forget to make front and back copies of your LTC for each letter as well.

FYI
The Form say to make a copy of the FRONT only of your LTC/FID.

- - - Updated - - -

I just called FRB/DCJIS and changed my address in 2 minutes, in case anyone is curious.

Sorry, just saw you said that already.[wink]

It is a good idea to keep your certified mail return receipts at least until your next renewal in case the PD in your new town "lost" you change of address and accuses you of not having filled it out in a timely manner.

Last I asked a few years ago EOPS policy was NOT to re-issue the LTC with the new name! I do believe that they record it in the system however.

Back
Top Bottom