• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Champion Shooter

Looking to get into Marksmanship target shooting. I do not have the knowledge required of a great marksman. I was looking for someone to guide me in the sport. What particular weapon is easy to handle, etc...? I am an ISL and BU grad with exceptional vision. South Shore of Boston. Where to shoot/join? Thanks for any guidance that you may offer. Outdoor activities/sport has been my passion in life. Looking to continue on that compass heading. Thank you Sir

Last edited:
Looking to get into Marksmanship target shooting. I do not have the knowledge required of a great marksman. I was looking for someone to guide me in the sport. What particular weapon is easy to handle, etc...? I am an ISL and BU grad with exceptional vision. South Shore of Boston. Where to shoot/join? Thanks for any guidance that you may offer. Outdoor activities/sport has been my passion in life. Looking to continue on that compass heading. .

Research what matches are held in your area, or within your travel radius/range. Go and see some of the matches being held so you can see IF those are what you're interested in. Talk with people that are in the competitions to see what they recommend for hardware/gear. Depending on what your goal is, the firearm won't be cheap. Even a solid target pistol (22LR) won't be cheap once ready for [competition] use. You'll also need to practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and practice some more. Which means burning through a LOT of ammo in the process.

I have my father's old target 22LR pistol still. It's a High Standard Super Trophy pistol that's been worked on to make it even better. Competition grips (tight fit to the hand) along with a different barrel and scope fitted to it. Not to mention having the trigger refined. I can only imagine what it would cost to have a comparable pistol built up these days. My 1911 wide-body pistol (IPSC competition shooting) has at least a few grand invested in it. No idea how much is invested in my father's 1911 (single stack WWII surplus originally) race gun has invested in it. Or how much it would take to build up identical pistols these days.

Last edited:
Starting with a .22 will be the advice that most will give you. It will be much less expensive, at least ammo-wise

There are several clubs in your area, and you will find plenty of help there.

South shore is a big area, if you narrow it down, you'll get more info.

Do you have your LTC yet? If not, I'd not worry too much about what gun to get for at least 3 months....plenty of time to do your research.

Looking to get into Marksmanship target shooting.

That's like saying that you want to get into racing. Motorcycle racing? Horse racing? NASCAR? There are like 500 different target shooting disciplines that you could choose to pursue.

So, what KIND of target shooting are you looking to get into?

1911 is the model number I guess. I would always be willing to travel a good distance to learn.

Start by learning more about firearms. Know the difference between the different designations and move from there. Sounds like you're pretty much a gun virgin. Going from zero to competition shooting is like going from never driving a car to looking to race F1.

1911 isn't the model number . It's the name of the gun. Almost every company makes a 1911 it seems these days.i
ejesama5.jpg

The military model number was m1911 and m1911a1

There a pretty common gun to use since you can have so much done to them .

1911 isn't the model number . It's the name of the gun. Almost every company makes a 1911 it seems these days.i
ejesama5.jpg

The military model number was m1911 and m1911a1

There a pretty common gun to use since you can have so much done to them .

1911 is the design/style designation. You can get them in a wide range of calibers too, from the lowly 22LR all the way up to 45ACP (believe I've seen a 50 cal version around too). IMO, a true 1911 is only 45ACP.

Not only are there dozens of manufacturers of 1911's, but you have both single stack and wide body (or double stack) frames available. There's more parts available than you can swing a dead gun grabber at. [smile]

BTW, I threw up a little in my mouth over the color of that frame. Puke green is not a color choice I would ever go with. [puke2]

What my father had built up, or built himself: Dads_1911_2_sm.jpg
My 1911 'wide body' 1911: View attachment 63127

The cell cam makes its look more like green it's darker then the pics... I did some stuff to the frame and it was the only gun finish I had laying around. I'm gonna get it redone .

I need to get my hands on a double stack

For the original poster, start with .22, get some individual coaching once you've done to basic pistol class.
If interested in 1911, there are a few .22 1911's out there (Colt, Chiappa, etc cheap to shoot and purchase) then move up to more $$$$ .45ACP pistol and ammo..
But any basic .22 pistol is the best place to start.

If you were in NM, my wife and I (both NRA instructors) would be glad to burn some powder with you.

Last edited:
For the original poster, start with .22, get some individual coaching once you've done to basic pistol class.
If interested in 1911, there are a few .22 1911's out there (Colt, Chiappa, etc cheap to shoot and purchase) then move up to more $$$$ .45ACP pistol and ammo..
But any basic .22 pistol is the best place to start.

For the price of a 22 1911 you could just get a kit for a .45 to shoot .22. That way you don't have to build a .22 to match your 45....

To the OP if you are ever on the north shore and would like some one to help you with some knowledge base about target/competition shooting I would be willing to help. Starting out is hard and reaching out perhaps harder. You are doing the right thing by asking, never stop asking because you will never stop learning. You can PM me and I could meet you and or answer some questions over the phone. By the way I am willing to help you probably more because of the 3 last words. By the way God Bless you as well

Last edited:
see if you can catch a CMP clinic - CMP - Club Sanctioned Clinics
Nashua does an awesome job on highpower rifle: http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/2013 HIGHPOWER RIFLE CLINIC.pdf
They do up in Gloucester too: Cape Ann Sportsman's Club Home Page

if you don't mind a road trip, the Army Marksmanship Unit does Pistol & Rifle "Small Arms Firing Schools" in July at Camp Perry in Ohio (near Sandusky & the roller coasters)
CMP - Small Arms Firing Schools
you can learn from the best shots in the country - it's not too expensive, once you get out there

Back
Top Bottom