• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CETME Rifles

Was wondering what people's thoughts are on these. I have seen a few at my local gun shop, and toying around with the idea of buying one since ARs are out of this world in prices now and I don't want to build one with a set mag.

Spanish rifles of German origins. No one knows how to check headspace on roller delayed rifles, and you should. Kits used to be dirt cheap.

I assume you're talking about the G3 clones. And I assume you're talking about Century's parts kits builds (C308 and such) and not real CETME-manufactured rifles.

If so, the general consensus is that the PTRs are better. If you just want a G3 clone to play around with for less money, the Century builds will probably work for you. The PTRs are nicer, but usually fetch $1000+.

Spanish variant of the H&K G3. Was a competitor to the FAL. Older bigger brother to the MP5.

They're cheap rifles. Real cheap. Had a PTR91 (HK91 clone). I mean, itll shoot 308 no problem. It's just clunky, front-heavy, short length-of-pull on the stock, heavy trigger. It just comes down to what's in your wallet.

[...] I don't want to build one with a set mag.
Then don't. There's no reason not to build a ban-compliant firearm to the letter of the law as a private individual. The AG's letter was a threat to dealers, and even then it's not real - thus nobody has been prosecuted.

They are good rifles and you will enjoy shooting it Spanish version of the HK by the way the Spanish invented the roller bolt not the German's HK adapted the design

Brass also wont be much good to reload if you plan to from my experience. Gets pretty messed up on the way out.

Stay away from Century Army’s CETMEs. They’re garbage. But otherwise. It’s a cool gun. I don’t like the trigger, or safety manual of arms, but it’s fun for the range.

cetme finished.jpg

I loved my 3.0 iteration Cetme.(my terminology) CIA (Century Intl) made an initial receiver to mate to the "kits" they purchased. The action is a blow-back that relies on rollers to extend upon initial ejection of the shell and then, as the pressure relaxes, the rollers collapse and the bolt moves ejecting the spent shell. There is also a "gas assist" that floats the shell out of the chamber. The grooves that allow the gas to swirl around the shell need to be kept clean. You'll notice a distinct signature of soot in nice, straight lines along the side of a shell that has the gas assist.

There were three iterations of the receiver if I'm not mistaken. CAI isn't actually forthcoming with the history of their builds. The first iteration was poor in that they used a metal that was too soft and the rollers began to deform their detents thus losing the ability to lock up properly. They then came out with a second one that was harder steel but the detents to hold scopes and other critical items in the receiver were not crisp at all. Finally they came out with a stainless steel receiver that has nice, crisp detents and it held it's shape so the rollers would not spread. BTW, you could replace initial rollers with larger ones to help with lockup.

tapco mount side.jpg
Scopes mounted to the CETME in only one way; with a claw mount. The mount literally held onto a detent-rail in the receiver. Once they were squared away they were easy to put on and off without losing zero. There are(were) after-markets out there.

Don't know what version you are thinking about. My adivse is that you bring a feeler gauge with you and measure the bolt gap accessible from the mag well.
headspace check2.jpg

I, personally, thought this was built like a tank; robust, easy to point and shoot. Mags locked up nicely. The real scope for this rifle is made of unobtainium. Do your research. There are some that used Trilux scopes.
You need a cheekpiece to use it because of the height.
trilux complete left side.jpg

Finally, there is also a project you can undertake called a "paddle mount". IT was simply a way to release the mag. (seen here just ahead of the trigger guard) Why CAI did away with it when they designed their receiver may have had to do with drilling that one extra hole that would tempt the Feds.

I never had any flaws with my version. Back when 7.62x51 ammo was cheap (there was a time) I had no problem dumping 20 rounds in as fast as I could pull the trigger. It was designed as a select-fire rifle, of course, so it was setup to handle that and much faster. The history behind this rifle made in a Sewing MAchine factory is fascinating. It was a good thing the Germans didn't have access to this beast during the war.

i bought one from century arms last winter. mags are super cheap and a guy at my gun club gave me a bucket full on top of that. it is fun to shoot. i hate the way you adjust the front sight post. i gave up on the iron sights as they were off by like 1 foot at 50 yards. i put a cheap tactical optic on it and now it is fun (and relatively) accurate to shoot.

i only bought mine because i bought 900 round of mil surplus 7.62 nato and my areo ar-10 didn't like the primers.

i probably paid <700 in December and think it was a great value

Just buy an FAL and be done with it!

Ideally, this.

But I've got a FAL and a C308 and, sacrelige! my C308 gets more trigger time. It's got two critical flaws, and only one can be fixed. That one is the trigger pack, which (I think) is most likely the reason why the PTR is more expensive: the C308 safety is mushy and the stock trigger is nothing to write home about. It can be fixed, though, by the yuuuge CETME aftermarket, which also lets you get a whole mess of stuff you can pick up for cheap. What can't be fixed? The charging handle, with all the ergonomics of flying the Spruce Goose. But you can train for it.

Apart from that, it's durable, accurate, reliable, and altogether a boatload of fun. I'd a million times rather have one than an AR, but then I'm no AR fan. I'd take an AK before a CETME, but there are days that I'd take the CETME before the FAL.

Ideally, this.

But I've got a FAL and a C308 and, sacrelige! my C308 gets more trigger time. It's got two critical flaws, and only one can be fixed. That one is the trigger pack, which (I think) is most likely the reason why the PTR is more expensive: the C308 safety is mushy and the stock trigger is nothing to write home about. It can be fixed, though, by the yuuuge CETME aftermarket, which also lets you get a whole mess of stuff you can pick up for cheap. What can't be fixed? The charging handle, with all the ergonomics of flying the Spruce Goose. But you can train for it.

Apart from that, it's durable, accurate, reliable, and altogether a boatload of fun. I'd a million times rather have one than an AR, but then I'm no AR fan. I'd take an AK before a CETME, but there are days that I'd take the CETME before the FAL.
Side track, x39 is cheap, still available, and almost as good as x51....I am an AR guy but I’m also an AK fan.

The German StG 45 (M) was the first rifle with delayed blowback with roller bearings. It was the work of Vorgrimmler, a former Mauser works engineer. He continued his work on this design in Spain after the war. Not what was said before. Also, he was joined by other former Mauser works engineers. The first rifle adopted after the was the fal as the G1. The G3 was the result of not getting a license from FN. Wonder why? So they went to Spain to get the German designed CETME.

I've had 2 CETME and 1 PTR. The PTR was pretty much the exact same experience. Overall not a big fan. A bit kicky. I much prefer the FAL

CETME is : Centro de Estudios Técnicos de Materiales Especiales,/'Centre for Technical Studies of Special Materials' Unless I'm mistaken they were a design business that specialized in sewing machines. One of the last "wood" rifles and again, select fire.

Back
Top Bottom