CERT Community Emergency Response Team, Nashua, NH

MaverickNH

NES Member
I did a 20hr FEMA CERT Basic course in Nashua NH 3-5 May 2019 (3hr Fr, 9hr Sat, 8hr Sun) Community Emergency Response Team | Ready.gov

The course was quite interesting, based on mass casualty triage and pre-evacuation treatment by non-professional community volunteers. It was pretty basic and was more a preparation for further training for those that choose to join as a CERT member than of significant utility in an actual disaster. If anything, it encourages attendees to have enough preps at home so they don’t need a rescue for themselves and their families within 72hr. It seems FEMA has pretty much admitted that 5-7 days are the new minimum based on past performance, but even getting a small percentage of the public to be self-sufficient for 3 days would be a marvel.

The upside is that CERT members are actually “credentialed” as responders with liability insurance and (limited) workman’s comp if injured on a formal CERT activation. I’ll join the Nashua & Bedford, NH groups to further explore activities and training.

As I work in Boston (Southie) I asked if they have a CERT. The coordinators said no, they have SCREWD - you’re pretty much on your own in case of emergency. Somehow, I knew that was the case before I asked...

Membership in Bedford CERT requires signature of a form with text below, which looks like a CYA rather than any restrictions on CCW above and beyond existing law. My only niggles are:
1. The Red Cross Sheltering Rule prohibiting firearms in a shelter. If on public property rather than private, I don't think thus is enforceable unless codified by NH RSA rather than Red Cross Rules.
2. The prohibition of firearms on school property. Any time I can CCW on school property today should be unenforceable when acting under CERT authority.

Any "enforcement" would be limited to being expelled from CERT and/or property if private.

"Reference our previous discussion regarding the possibility of a Community Emergency Response Team (C.E.R.T) member being activated and responding to a scene with his/her firearm. Since that discussion, I have reviewed the matter in light of the various statutory authority and law regarding carrying a concealed firearm in NH. In further review I also considered the possibility that a C.E.R.T. member, so identified while activated by the Town of Bedford who carried a firearm either concealed pursuant to a license or not concealed may be falsely and incorrectly construed as a police officer or public safety official, which imperils the safety of the particular C.E.R.T. member as well as his/her colleagues. Moreover, while activated, a C.E.R.T. member falls under the liability umbrella of the Town of Bedford; as such, C.E.R.T. members are only authorized to conduct such activity as approved by Bedford Police Department officials, none of which involves the use of a firearm. In addition, as you know, C.E.R.T members have not been certified by the Bedford Police Department's firearm instructor to carry any firearm or have been educated on the Use of Force laws under NH R.S.A 627:1 to 627:9, with a particular focus on 627:5 IV. Notwithstanding the above, C.E.R.T. members do retain their constitutional and statutory authority to possess and or carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm. Therefore, in view of the above Bedford Police Department strongly recommends and requests that C.E.R.T member(s), when activated and under the direction of the Bedford Police Department or Bedford C.E.R.T, not possess a firearm. If the C.E.R.T member chooses to carry a firearm when activated they must be advised that any action they take while activated shall not be considered within the scope of the authority of C.E.R.T. and therefore said member will be held personally liable and responsible for any and all actions and consequences directly or indirectly arising from their activation while in possession of a firearm and the Town of Bedford shall be held harmless in any civil or criminal action arising therefrom. This action is to ensure the protection and safety of all C.E.R.T. members under activation by the Town of Bedford as well as the public and members of the Bedford Police Department. Additionally, an activated C.E.R.T. member shall not carry or have in their possession any weapons per the American Red Cross Sheltering Rules and Regulations 6-6: that states, "Possession of firearms in a shelter is prohibited." Also, no activated C.E.R.T member shall possess any firearms or weapons while on school property. C.E.R.T members, when activated, must adhere to any state and or Federal laws regarding the possession and carrying of firearms."

Back
Top Bottom