Cerfur's beginers guide to fishing in mass!

Been sick for the past few weeks so this is far from perfect I will add on but I wanted to get it out before trout stocking starts on the cape

this ended up being to long so it is in two posts split up fresh and saltwater

Let's get the disclaimer out of the way first. I don't work for Masswildlife I am not a EPO or a attorney This is for informational purposes only! Always check the local and state laws! The laws are constantly changing

Of course if you are going to be looking for fish with fins and you are 15 or over you are going to need a fishing license!
The good news it's shall issue!
And you don't need a class... Its available at mass fish hunt... There are two types fresh and salt water... Get them here

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/licensing/

The freshwater license is valid in Massachusetts only...

The saltwater license has reciprocation in NH RI and CT… more info here

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dmf/recreational-fishing/recreational-saltwater-permits.html

I have decided the most logical way to split this up is buy salt and fresh water. Then buy species, If you are looking for locations there will be an additional write up on locations in the green members area! I will not leave a guide "spot burning” locations for anyone to see So if you want more info on where to fish GO GREEN!

I really cant go over everything as far as laws and size limits to bring fish home however its all here for fresh water:
http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/
Here for saltwater http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/fishing/saltwater/

Fresh Water

Equipment/Tackle

a
few quick words on fresh water tackle

The amount of fresh water fishing Tackle available is insane! The biggest thing to keep in mind some fishing equipment (especially lures) are made to catch fish some of it is made to catch fisherman!

Freshwater Rod & Reel

There a few different options here but if you're a beginner I would highly recommend a spinning combo in the 50-120 dollar range from a dicks or bass pro if you're a beginner or getting back into fishing after a long time..

If you plan to target mostly panfish rainbow trout and brook trout a light action rod will be best.

medium action is a great all around rod for just about everything fresh water in the state.

medium/ heavy or heavy action is great for throwing big baits at largemouth or big water spots where you don't have a boat or a boat is not allowed buy boat like wachusett reservoir..

Lead sinkers/jigs:

a few years back they ban all lead sinkers and jigs in Massachusetts waters under an ounce... It was for the children no doubt..
Like in waterfowl hunting the best alternative is tungsten if you can afford it... For the rest of us there is steel...

Line: Often over looked it connects you to your fish! This is not the place to go cheap! A high quality line matched to your rod and reel will allow you to get the most out of your cast and make sure it gets back to you!

One of the biggest mistakes I see from inexperienced and even long time weekend warriors is either cheap or too heavy line... Go with the highest quality line with the thinnest diameter that will still allow you to cast without losing your rig...A common misconception is you need 50 pound test in case you catch a 50 pound fish nothing can be further from the truth! I have caught a lot of 30+ pound stripers on 15 pound test and lighter mono over the years... In applications where casting is not involved heavier line is more acceptable.. There are applications for heavy line when casting but for 90% of the time if you are standing on shore lighter is better!

There are 4 major types of line

(mono filament): tried and true been around the longest of the modern lines. On the plus side Its cheap, easy to use and cast and available almost anywhere! Its has decent invisibility.. The main con with mono is stretch.. It can act like a rubber band at times.. This can translate into less line feel when working a lure and it can make it harder to set a hook!

Also all mono is not created equal the cheap bargain spools are absolutely worthless..They are often to stiff have horrible memory and diameter this also goes for the "free line that comes spooled on some of the rod and reel combos available at big box stores..
However a good quality mono is generally where I go to for most freshwater fishing... Also my brother is considered by many to be one of the best recreational saltwater fisherman in the state of Rhode Island and uses only mono...

Braid/super braid:

Some Braided line like Dacron has been around forever.. however 95% of the braid around today is of the super braid variety. For the most part it started showing up in the early to mid 90s under the spiderwire brand and now just about every line manufacture has at least one super braid product. On the plus side its incredibly strong and thin! It also Has absolutely zero stretch...
Some of the cons are, Price...It can be quite expensive compared to mono..Also you will want to put some backing on your reel before you lay on this stuff as it can have a tendency to slip.. Its highly visible and 90% if the time you will need a leader of some type. You also may need to learn a few new knots as some of the traditional knots can slip when using braid.. Also there is a huge variance from brand to brand in performance. Depending on what its made out of..Some are very soft and have low memory while others are quite stiff and can almost be kinked..Try a few see what you like.. I personally use power pro...
Braid is my line if choice for saltwater surfcasting..

Fluorocarbon... Looks like mono but is ultra clear and virtually disappears underwater.. It also has less stretch than traditional mono. The main use I have for it is leader material for finicky freshwater fish or as a leader for fishing with braid... It is used as a primary line as well. However personally I find it far more expensive than mono and in my opinion does not perform as well as braid or traditional mono in most situations.
However you will almost always find me fishing with a fluorocarbon leader salt or fresh surf casting or trolling.

Steel: I use steel line a lot on conventional reels when jigging for.stripers from a boat. This is basically the only application I use it for. However it is a extremely effective technique and will be covered later on in the guide.
Lead core… Used to get down into deep water when trolling from a boat! (they now have downriggers for this and are far more common.. However if you're on a canoe or don't have the funds for downriggers this is a great option!
Knots... Best suggestion I can give here is hop on to YouTube look up knot wars.. However my jack of all trades is the San Diego jam knot. heres a youtube search for it knot wars https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=knot wars&sm=3https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=knot wars&sm=3

Fresh water

Trout
Surprisingly Massachusetts has one of the best if not the best trout stocking programs in new england Stocking Rainbow, brown, brook and the brown/brook hybrid the tiger trout.
The fish get put out from march through may. The mass wildlife website has a weekly stocking report on their website! Many ponds are stocked every week in the spring! The hatcheries are also open for tours!
Its easy to find a good trout spot every trout stocked pond in Massachusetts is listed on the mass wildlife website.
This is a put and take fishery don't feel bad about taking a few home for dinner!

Native Brook trout: a few rivers hold native brook trout in mass they are very small, rare and beautiful... Look around the brooks in the wachusett mountain area... However I not a advocate of bringing these home for dinner.. But shit this is merica as long as your legal go ahead... I will be the guy with the frown on his face...

Best techniques...

Power Bait: Probably the most popular method a small hook with a gob of this smelly dough fished off the bottom is highly effective on freshly stocked rainbow/brook trout! I actually prefer the power eggs over the traditional, as it always stays on the hook.. No matter how haírd you cast... I like orange power bait but it comes in every color thats in the crayola crayon box

Rigging power bait (with a slip rig)

You will need

egg sinkers various sizes
egg hooks or small hooks, or special power bait hooks... whatever you have or prefer
12-16 inch Fluorocarbon leader.. 4-8 lb test
Powerbait/eggs
Barrel swivel

tie the hook on end of the leader the other end gets the barrel swivel thread the egg sinker on to the main line and tie the line onto the other end of the barrel swivel.. you should have a hook leader swivel and a egg sinker sliding up and down the main line..
Throw on a gob of power bait or a couple power eggs main thing here is drop it.in the water make sure the power bait is.floating the hook off the bottom.
Worms: Use the same rig as for power bait.. However get your hands on a "worm blower" (about 3 bucks at Walmart) and inflate your worm son it floats your hook!

Shiners: You can use again the slip rig posted above or just.hang them under a bobber. Also a dead shiner inflated with a worm blower on a slip rig is deadly on big brown trout! You will not get a lot of browns this.way but my largest browns have all come from this method.

Artificial lures...

Spoons/spinners: small copper spoons, and kastmasters make great lures for fresh stocked trout of all types! A walk through any fishing department will also carry a ton if trout spinners. Easy to cover lots of water just remember a snap and barrel swivel to make sure your line doesn't end up a twisted mess..

Crank baits: Skinny small crank baits work well in trout.. Not the big fat honking bass type but the small skinny type. My favorite the yo zuri pins minnow..

Fly fishing...

Really there is so much here I don't know where to begin.. Getting into fly fishing to many can be a commitment that many people simply don't have the time or energy to do.. However if the "fly guys" are doing far better then you there is a alternative! You can attach a clear slip bobber to your line followed by a fly leader or a fluorocarbon leader and a fly This will allow you to cast the fly on your traditional spinning gear.. I use primarily nymphs on ponds and rivers and its very productive.

Salmon: A quick note
Broodstock: We for a few years had a salmon stocking program in Mass that officially ended this year..(a handful of lakes got a handful of fish) But in the past 3 it has been a joke as the CT river hatchery in Vermont was taken out buy a tropical storm. There are a few still roaming around out there!
Landlocked: Only found in the quabbin and wachusett reservoir.. Tips and techniques will be covered in that portion of the guide (hopefully we have a few volunteers who know a lot more the I do)
Atlantic: Atlantic salmon found mostly in the CT River are protected you should release them with care immediately it is illegal to even so much as take a picture with one.
Panfish
Not stocked that I know of anywhere in Massachusetts but live in most places.that are wet.

Crappie: Also known as lamp lighters, strawberry bass, calico bass and I am sure a few other names to me they are the best eating fish in fresh water.. They taste something like a flounder or fluke..

There are 100 crappie lures out there and they take live bait as well! Here is a great how to from youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZY1Bq5X4KE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sunfish/yellow perch/white perch etc.

Worms bobbers and kids! Need I say more?

Yellow perch are great eating right after ice out but as the year goes on they start to taste like mud!

Largemouth Bass/small mouth bass
They are everywhere! Will bite almost.anything! Turn on ESPN and there's a bunch of southern guys showing you how to catch them! For me I like rubber worms and Sanko worms.. Wait for the water to warm up in may before you try top water lures! Get up early or fish late in the day for your best chances.

Northern Pike

Have been stocked in a few ponds and lakes in Massachusetts these can be found here.. My experience with these "gators" has always been through the ice. The Massachusetts section if the iceshanty.com forum will give you all the info you will ever need to know! There are a ton of passionate and knowledgeable guys on there... Just don't hop on and ask for there honey holes.

Pickerel

Usually one of the easiest fish to find right after Ice out also known as slime darts. There the pikes baby brother however no stocking needed these fish are everywhere its wet! Try a spinner a spoon or a live shiner.

Last edited:
Saltwater

One of the main reasons I have not left the people's republic of Massachusetts is the salt water fishing! Bar none Massachusetts and Rhode Island have some if the best salt water fishing in the country! A little know how and you can be in some serious fish... Also let's clear something else up right away, You don't need a boat! I have caught countless 30# plus fish and a few in the 40s with two feet firmly planted on the ground (or a rock) A kayak will increase your chances further for a relatively small investment..

Surf Casting Gear (with striped bass,bluefish, weak fish, bonito and false albacore in mind)

A solid surfcasting rig is important! Now you can get fishing with a combo setup from big box store for 50.00 dollars but you may be frustrated to say the least! But if that's what you are willing to spend or what you have to invest it will get you fishing!

However

A great spin cast rig for plug/bait fishing around 300 bucks!
A 10 to 12 foot tsunami trophy series rod ($100-$120) and a Penn spinfisher v ssv 7500 through 9500 reel $180-$200)
I own almost as many rods as I do guns but this is a great place to start Surf casting without breaking the bank..

If you're the type who has or doesn't mind spending a few bucks for a rig... I like

St Croix Mojo 10 to 12 foot ($220-$280)

And a van staal reel vs 250 or vsb 250
($700-$900) one has a bail one is bailless..
There are a thousand other rigs out there I am sure a few guys will chime in on what they like...

Spool these up with some power pro... start with the 50# test stuff and once you get a season of surf casting under your belt if you want more distance you can drop down to the 30# to get some more yards.. However when you throw heavier plugs its easier to break the lines as you drop down... I typically bring two rods one with 30# and one with 50#

Bait fishing

I am not much of a meat hucker however chunked mackerel, pogys and native squid are all good choices..
use the same slip rig mentioned earlier in fresh water just with heavier weights hook and line..

trolling

Basicly I troll one way I “Pull Wire” I use a fairly large conventional reel filled with steel line and about a 15 foot heavy fluorocarbon leader and a bucktail or parachute Jig.. White with a red pork trailer.. Get to a speed just fat enough to keep the jig off the bottom and jig…
When your arm get tired hook up a umbrella rig and just troll at a slow pace… However get ready as Umbrella rigs can have a tendency to catch more than one fish.. Hell of a time getting two 30+ pound stripers at one time

Plugs...
There are a million but what's in my tackle bag now.
Swim shads: tsunami and storm from their smallest for early season schoolies up to the big 9 inches
needle fish of various sizes
Creek chub poppers
bomber crankbaits.. various sizes and colors... Pearl is a favorite color of mine.
Roberts casting plugs both red and white and chrome.. 3oz ranger and 4oz big shots
Ballistic missiles red and white 3oz
Point Jude tins of various sizes and shapes..
Atom poppers
Hopkins spoons
Gibbs pencil poppers
Slugos and hogys
White Buck tail jigs and Red pork trailers
deadly dicks
Some of the plugs above will run you a buck or two (small swim shads) most are 8-12 but a few are 15-30..
If you're just starting out avoid dropping $30 on a plug as there's a good chance you will lose it within the first hour of fishing! I have caught plenty of good fish on cheap lures!
Leaders
On everything but blue fish I like fluorocarbon in the 50# to 80# test range.. I like a 36-40 inch leader most of the time this will allow you to easily grab the leader and get the fish on the rocks or beach..
Blue fish need steel leaders usually I go with 36 inch 60# test ones..
never use steel with stripers or a snap swivel for that matter... I don't know why but it seems stripers hate steel this goes for hard tails as well (bonito-false albacore)
When to fish
Stripers mid May - October best times being may 15 through June 30th and September 15 through October 15

Where to fish...
www.onthewater.com
Read the fishing report.. I cant tell you how awesome of a tool this is!!! They will tell you where when and how to fish! report comes out on thursday nights!

Ground fish (fish other the the ones mentioned above)
Tatouage.. (make awesome fish tacos)
Buy a bunch of tatogue rigs (you will break off a few) at your local bait shop and a bag of green crabs find a nice Rocky area and have at it...

Black sea bass... (also good eating)
Same as tatogue only use clams
Fluke
Taste great! However I am not a big fluke fisherman and there's a lot to it! I hope someone can fill in here!

All other ground fish
Use sea worms

Squid
The first thing to show up in the spring..
A lantern and some squid jigs and a dock or jetty is what you need...
www.squidfish.net and read the
Newport RI thread this should give you everything you need

There is so much here I can cover.. If you're a beginner and have any questions just post them or PM me I will be happy to help you out…Something you want me to elaborate on just post!! If you want a spot and you are a green member send a PM I am going to try to get a fishing spot thread going in the next week or so in the members area!

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to come fishing with me just send me a pm I am in southeastern Mass and fish buzzards bay the cape and aquidneck Island in RI.. I took a lot of first timers out hunting this year and still get requests to hunt something thats legal even today.. We had a great time!

Feel free to add send me a PM with anything you would like to add to the guide I know a couple of guys offered to help out!

Tight lines everyone!! I hope I inspire a few of you to get out on the water!

Last edited:
Great write up, well done.

Something that's helped me catch more fish is I like to start with fast moving baits first.
Fan my casts, try different depths, and cover as much water as possible. After a strike or a fish, I'll immediately slow down and concentrate on that spot with a soft plastic bait. That works well for me, but requires multiple set ups. There's nothing worse than wasting time tying different lures when you can just grab another one and get to work.

Patients is key!! I never had it at first, I always needed to crank and toss. The more casts the better is not always the best option. I now love slow baits like soft plastics, because I've reapped many rewards that way.

Great post! I used to freshwater fish when I was younger, but now that I live closer to Boston/the ocean I've been wanting to try some simple saltwater fishing.

Great post, +1.
My 5 year old daughter thanks you for attempting to teach her daddy how to show her how to fish. Just picked up an old canoe and the wife and daughter are excited. Thanks.

Just as a reminder to everyone, expert and novice alike, please make sure your first piece of equipment for everyone is a LIFEJACKET. Accidents can and do happen, and they can happen to anyone......
Thanks for reading.......

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin"
SAMUEL ADAMS

Damn I can't wait for Striper season. I cross the canal 10 times a week but I just never got into fishing the ditch much. Barnstable harbor on high tides with sand eels or chunk mackerel is where I excel. Just a few months away my fishy friends.

The canal in the spring during the herring run... I am there at least a few days a week! After that not so much.. I will definitely look to bring a few members over in may easy for a beginner to get a nice 25 pound fish or 3

Should I worry about a license for my wife?
I'm going to get mine and she's probably going to be with me now and then with my kids (5 and 2 years old ) but it's mostly going to be me and the 5 year old fishing.
I usually go to private bogs to fish but I'm sure I'll hit public spots now and then.
Thanks guys

Great write up

Yeah I'm not worried about paying the money. I just didn't know if it was the one license one rod/reel thing or if they would busy my chops no matter what.

If your wife has no pole in hand you are fine your license allows two poles in the water controled buy you and your 5 year old can also have two...

Back
Top Bottom