Ceramic tumbling media

I have read a few posts on Ceramic tumbling media, but has anyone tried it and what kind of results did you get. I read on The High Road a guy was using walnut shell and a dollop of liquid Turtle wax. I have been using corn cob but I have found it doesn’t last as long as I though it would. I did see that Cebelas had their own brand but I could not find it listed on the website.

I have experience with ceramic media (wet) with other parts, but not cartridge cases. It's good stuff and it lasts a long time. It's expensive too.

The reason I haven't used it for cases is that it needs to be cleaned when it gets dirty.

The problem is, in our application, the 'dirt' is mostly lead residue from the lead styphnate priming compound.

The less you're exposed to this stuff, the better. I'd rather throw it away in the corncob than try to clean it out of ceramic.

I have experience with ceramic media (wet) with other parts, but not cartridge cases. It's good stuff and it lasts a long time. It's expensive too.

The reason I haven't used it for cases is that it needs to be cleaned when it gets dirty.

The problem is, in our application, the 'dirt' is mostly lead residue from the lead styphnate priming compound.

The less you're exposed to this stuff, the better. I'd rather throw it away in the corncob than try to clean it out of ceramic.

That is a very good though, I do not want to mess around with lead dust and ceramic dust. Can not be good for you Thanks
Mark

I've been running two tumblers with corn cob and never had to replace it so far. Brass comes out looking better than new, have you tried NuFinish?

Tried a bunch of additives and it did not extend the live to the media. I have tumbled about 3500 - 223 and 2200 - 308 plus assorted 45 and 38. Since I started, I have used 3 -14lbs bags of Corn cob

Best additive was made by fritz metal poilish.

Last edited:
I resize, decap and ultrasonically clean my brass 1st. Then I tumble to polish only, so lead dust residue is kept to a minimum. My ultrasonic cleaning solution is 50% water / 50% white vinegar. I add 1 drop of dawn for each 8oz of fluid. Now I add a squirt of D-lead soap also. After 30 minutes I rinse thoroughly then put the loose brass in a Denim pant leg, tie the ends and tumble dry in my drier with some shop towels (just to keep the noise down). I figure at the rinsing stage damn near all the lead has got to be gone.

Yes, you can!!

Louis O. Beede in Lowell, MA has 50 pound bags for that price!!!ss

That's where Bob_J got his!

I'm about to pick up a 50 pound bag of the walnut media from them for $32.

Anyone want IN on a group buy?

Just ordered two buckets, can't get it much cheaper than that. 40lbs for $44.02
Thank you EC
Semper Fi
Tackleberry

Actually Duke, he got two 40# bags for $44.02 including shipping.

You must spend that on gas money to get to Lowell.

Hahaha.... I like the walnut stuff. Besides......
Going to my daughters place on Long Island soon, and would be going right by Beede (just off I495). Will stop and re-supply. Called them today, and they have all media sizes still in stock.

I'll also stop at my supplier for the corn for my corn popper (50 pound bags!) in Lawrence and get some of that as well on the way.
Nothing like the fresh popped "REAL DEAL" movie theatre type popcorn.

And, nothing like the shininess of brass polished with walnut shell media (plus the magic NuFinish car polish with turpentine added)

Thank you very much, I ordered it on the 29th and it was at my house on the 31st. 2 40 pound bags inside boxes for 44.02 total. How can you go wrong. Thank you very much EddieCoyle

Check in on the media at Grainge. (Ordered it from Drillspot but it came from Grainger) It is 3 dollars more a bag from Grainger and you will have to pay shipping. Thank you again EC, this is a great find. I put it into 4 plastic buckets from Home Dept what was left over filled my tumbler.

Just a word of warning for anyone who's going to go to Beede....... As I discovered this past week, when I was going to cruise in there on Friday, on my way down 495.... They are open regular business hours Monday through THURSDAY. Their attendance there on Fridays is spotty at best, and you can't count on them being there after 2 on Friday. Beginning of Sabbath or something like that. Bummed me out when I discovered that I wasn't getting my supply updated this trip.

I used to get my media from Beede until I learned that DrillSpot has the same stuff (except in a better grit size) for less money ($22/40#), and it's delivered to your door.

I understand that for corn media. But DrillSpot doesn't have any walnut shell, and Beede does.
My only reason for even being interested in going back to Lowell (I grew up in Lowell.....Christian Hill area) . . . .

I like going up to Beedes for a couple of reasons. One, it's local and I found the people there are nice to do business with and two, if you go up one
or two exits there is a kickass Portugese bakery across the street from Cason's power equipment on 3A. I usually load up on Portuguese breads and
rolls when I am in the neighborhood so any excuse to be in the area is a good thing. [smile]

Casons is on Gorham Street, right near Moody street, just before going under the railroad bridge.
That bakery is somewhat new to me, but I'm not surprised that there's good Portuguese baked stuff there.
Have made a mental note to get some Portuguese sweet bread (the locals call it "Massa".... my favorite!) when in that area next time. Thanks for the tip!

BTw, my fav way to eat massa is to slice it thick, spread real butter on it, and brown it in a skillet and eat while still toasty and hot! French Toast with massa is to die for. Damn, now I want some!!

Jim- did you get the larger or smaller sized corn cob?

Even this size seemed small:
Nominal Dia. (In.) Max. 0.0551
Nominal Dia. (In.) Min. 0.0236
Nominal Dia. Microns Max. 1400
Nominal Dia. Microns Min. 600

I'm not home to check, but I got the next size down from the 10/14 that was clogging the flash holes of my .223 cases.

I'm not home to check, but I got the next size down from the 10/14 that was clogging the flash holes of my .223 cases.

Ok- the "larger" stuff is still 14 to 20 grit... the smaller stuff is 20 to 40 grit... hmmm. Both seem tiny compared to the walnut I used to use.

How was it clogging the flash holes? Do you think it even matters?

Ok- the "larger" stuff is still 14 to 20 grit... the smaller stuff is 20 to 40 grit... hmmm. Both seem tiny compared to the walnut I used to use.

How was it clogging the flash holes? Do you think it even matters?

After tumbling the lube off, little pieces of media ended up stuck in the flash hole. It's easy enough to get out (using a universal decapping die in station 1) but it doesn't happen with the smaller grit. Anything large enough to not clog the flash hole was clogging the cases.

That's why the only time my brass sees the media is the initial cleaning, while the primer is still in place.

The brass has to get deprimed, and the depriming pin is the same size as the flash hole. The depriming pin goes THROUGH the flash hole, thereby cleaning out anything that might otherwise have been stuck in there. Or, am I missing something?

I don't tumble after that.

Tumble to clean and polish, then reload.

Rifle cases need to be lubed to resize, even with carbide dies. IF you tumble to remove that lube (at least before loading), you run the risk of getting media in the flash hole.

Back
Top Bottom