• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

cerakote over anodize

I'm a big fan of these neato cerakote patterns - but have a type 3 anodized unbuilt unlubed receiver set. Can these pattern dealies be done over ano?
tumblr_n9tdjkOoie1sg1ox1o1_1280.jpg

Clean, fresh parkerizing or Anodizing is the ideal substrate for coatings. I know it is true for Gun Kote, and Dura Coat, and I am pretty sure it is ideal for Cerakote as well.

You media blast the items to have Cerakote applied in order to etch the surface. I use fine, or extra-fine, coal slag to do that. If the anodizing/surface treatment can survive 3-5 seconds of media blasting, then you're set. IME, most anodizing (even typ-3 hard) is removed in 1-2 seconds. You also degrease the items (fully) before etching them.

For making patterns, if you can cut the mask, you can do it. There's a set procedure for doing patterns and such. Once I get a vinyl cutter, I'll start playing around with doing patterns and designs with Cerakote.

I was wondering how they do patterns with cerakote and gunkote as you have to bake them. Do you have to bake in between every color? Still don't get it.

You media blast the items to have Cerakote applied in order to etch the surface. I use fine, or extra-fine, coal slag to do that. If the anodizing/surface treatment can survive 3-5 seconds of media blasting, then you're set. IME, most anodizing (even typ-3 hard) is removed in 1-2 seconds. You also degrease the items (fully) before etching them.

For making patterns, if you can cut the mask, you can do it. There's a set procedure for doing patterns and such. Once I get a vinyl cutter, I'll start playing around with doing patterns and designs with Cerakote.

I was wondering how they do patterns with cerakote and gunkote as you have to bake them. Do you have to bake in between every color? Still don't get it.

Masking [flash] cure is 15 minutes at 180-200F. You do that between color/masking sprays. Full cure is either 250F for 2 hours or 300F for one hour. I have an oven that I built that's fluctuates a few degrees C during the cure bake (1-2C). At some point I'll replace the PID with one that displays degrees F. The one I have now was second-hand so no warranty and such.

You can cure for longer at those temperatures, without harm. I typically add at least 10 minutes to the cure time to account for the parts getting up to temp.

BTW, Cerakote has about 100 colors available.

Back
Top Bottom