• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cerakote issues

Alright guys, I know I don't post here much, but I have a problem that needs your expertise. It brings me great disdain to have to do this, but I feel like it's been long enough.

Back in about April I had my glock 23 cerakoted at 1776 gunsmithing in Waltham. The guys were awesome and helped me through the color choosing process and the gun came out awesome. I was stoked and couldn't wait to show it off to my friends. However, about 6 holsterings later the cerakote was starting to wear. Now I know with a kydex holster it is bound to happen, but I did my research and from what I found it was thousands of draws later that this happened, not half a dozen. It was also wearing on the back face of the slide just under the rear sight where the only thing that touches that is my shirt. So thanks to a crappy work schedule and being poor, and endless phone calls of no answers, I finally made a trip up there about a month later only to find out they were closing up shop and moving to Florida. But there was a big guy there with a punisher tattoo on his arm, IIRC his name was Gino, who looked at the gun and remembered it being done and told me that there was no way that should have happened so soon and make a call to the guys in Florida and they said as soon as they were set up that they would take care of it. I thought, "wow, now that's great customer service, and I would expect nothing less after how these guys treated me the first time I walked in the door". I was told about July they should be all set. Now July came in went, still no phone service, fast forward all these months and basically through a few private messages on Instagram I was told next month, next month, next month. I have even posted a picture and tagged them on instagram and still no answer as to what is going on. Now here I am 8 months after this was done and it's still worn, I haven't heard a single thing from any of them, and I just want my gun whole.

Has anyone heard from these guys or have any info on what's going on with them?

Is there anyone around Mass that can do a kryptek cerakote pattern? I'll settle for a single, solid color at this point but I just need something done. The guys that bought their equipment told me they would be happy to fix it with a solid color if 1776 would foot the bill but they are just starting out and can't do the patterns yet.

Now onto the pics: don't mind the blueness, it's really grey and black, I just have a shitty old phone
NCM_0600.jpg NCM_0601.jpg NCM_0602.jpg NCM_0603.jpg NCM_0604.jpg NCM_0605.jpg

WOW. All that wear is from a half dozen holsterings/reholsterings??? There's no way that was done correctly. Yikes.

At best I would try and get a refund.... If I got a run around like that after them saying they would take care of it it would send the message to me as "your to far away for us to care and we hope you just fade away" Thats said moving and starting up another business is very very time consuming and many things get pushed off and forgotten. A direct phone call is in order.

I have no idea what they "warranty" is on a cerakote job.
I have used a few different coatings over the years I found the key in all of them is prep work. I have a CZ82 thats was cerakoted by a gunsmith . It has seen many many boarder line abusive range trips, gets tossed in a draw full of other objects know to be abrassive and has held up much better than yours.

hope it works out and hope 1776 has not become so big they cant stay ontop of business.

sound like a bunch of scumbags to me. Glad I never did business with them.

OP you're probably shit out of luck. Just slander the shit out of them everywhere on the intarwebs.

Is there more than one 1776 gunsmithing?
I remember them being in walpole not waltham and from what I've heard they closed up shop and moved to FLA

I'm sure the OP just mixed up the two towns that both start with a "W"...

some google search came up with this
1776 Gunsmithing
Phone: (239) 631 5191
1502 Rail Head Blvd
NaplesCollierFL34110-8492

I have a 1911 that was cerakoted by Lou at business end customs that after tens of thousands of draws from a kydex holster does not look half that bad.

I would recommend him for any cerakote work.

Walpole, Waltham, same thing to me haha yes that's my fault for the wrong town, same people. to be clear that is more than 6 holsters and draws, that gun does still get carried, but most of the damage was done within 20-30 holsters and draws.

At best I would try and get a refund.... If I got a run around like that after them saying they would take care of it it would send the message to me as "your to far away for us to care and we hope you just fade away" Thats said moving and starting up another business is very very time consuming and many things get pushed off and forgotten. A direct phone call is in order.
I tried the direct phone call, the line never gets answered. I googled them thinking maybe they got a new phone number but to no avail. the Facebook page and everything else has been untouched. To me it seems like these guys dropped off the face of the planet. It doesn't make sense to me to move a business halfway across a country without already having something there established.
OP you're probably shit out of luck. Just slander the shit out of them everywhere on the intarwebs.
I realize I am probably SOL but thought I would give this a shot just in case someone here knew something. At this point I am just taking recommendations for a solid shop to do a solid color cerakote job

Lou at Business End Customs did my M&P but he's no longer doing cerakote work. Give northeast arms in Peabody a call.

some google search came up with this
1776 Gunsmithing
Phone: (239) 631 5191
1502 Rail Head Blvd
NaplesCollierFL34110-8492

I have a 1911 that was cerakoted by Lou at business end customs that after tens of thousands of draws from a kydex holster does not look half that bad.

I would recommend him for any cerakote work.
that's new to me, last time I looked there was no listing of a number for florida, only that there was a 1776 in florida but no town or anything. I'll give that a call tomorrow and see what happens. thanks

Walpole, Waltham, same thing to me haha yes that's my fault for the wrong town, same people. to be clear that is more than 6 holsters and draws, that gun does still get carried, but most of the damage was done within 20-30 holsters and draws.

I tried the direct phone call, the line never gets answered. I googled them thinking maybe they got a new phone number but to no avail. the Facebook page and everything else has been untouched. To me it seems like these guys dropped off the face of the planet. It doesn't make sense to me to move a business halfway across a country without already having something there established.

I realize I am probably SOL but thought I would give this a shot just in case someone here knew something. At this point I am just taking recommendations for a solid shop to do a solid color cerakote job

They might have a place to go but that doesn't mean they got their shit together. Who knows maybe the move was a mistake and they went belly up?. Or maybe they just said screw it dumped the 1776 name and are running under a new name?

Either way it sucks and other than them standing behind what they promised to do all ready your only recourse is small claims court?

This is really surprising to me. Don at 1776 treated me well. I have no doubt that if they were still in business, they would fix it.

Its definitely not right. I have a silencer with cerakote on it and its amazing.

Think of it this way. In a year, people will be charging extra for a "battle worn" look.

Back
Top Bottom