Cerakote in AR Barrel

Okay, so I built an AR using a BCM 18" stainless barrel. I thought I'd be smart and had the barrel professionally cerakoted by a local place that does work for Sig. Well, it looks like they may have used a pipe cleaner to block the gas port (total guess on my part), but it looks like there's some cured cerakote inside the barrel around the gas port. From what I can see, it looks like a small splotch. If I didn't know better, I'd think the gas port hole was over sized by the look of the cerakote. I can easily get a bore brush down the barrel so it doesn't seem to be obstructive.

Question, would this be safe to shoot?

Cerakote is very thin and I bet that will be gone within the first shot or two......but......I'm no gunsmith. If it were mine, I would just shoot it without any worry.

Okay, so I built an AR using a BCM 18" stainless barrel. I thought I'd be smart and had the barrel professionally cerakoted by a local place that does work for Sig. Well, it looks like they may have used a pipe cleaner to block the gas port (total guess on my part), but it looks like there's some cured cerakote inside the barrel around the gas port. From what I can see, it looks like a small splotch. If I didn't know better, I'd think the gas port hole was over sized by the look of the cerakote. I can easily get a bore brush down the barrel so it doesn't seem to be obstructive.

Question, would this be safe to shoot?

You could also ask the shop *scratches head*?

You could also ask the shop *scratches head*?

Yeah, I did that. He said it wouldn't be a problem, but he also said he's not an avid shooter so I took his comment with a grain of salt. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on the forum just for peace of mind.

Yeah, I did that. He said it wouldn't be a problem, but he also said he's not an avid shooter so I took his comment with a grain of salt. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on the forum just for peace of mind.

Gotcha - Yeah I'd probably second guess him too then. I figured if he sprays barrels for Sig, they would've given him the heads up A. clean up your act, B. looks good after a test fire. Guess not.

Back
Top Bottom