• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cerakote and similar. Is it rugged?

I carry a Colt .45 combat commander in blue. The gun rusts if I so much as breathe wrong on it.

I'd like to get the gun cerakoted so that it will be weather resistant.

Are these coatings rugged and long lasting, or do they peel, scratch or chip
?

Any recommendations on good suppliers in the Northeast?

Thanks

Peel? No.
Scratch? Yes. Not really any more or less than blueing.
Chip? No.

Probably better than worn blueing at rust prevention.
It will be more durable if it is parkerized then cerakote in your choice of color.
Lou at Business End Cusotoms is who you seek

As I will attest first hand--get it professionally done. Tried my hand at two part Duracoat. Brought gun down to steel, prepped surface, de-greased, applied several thin even coats, and let cure for 2 weeks (non-bake version). Came out looking legit, but then still chipped by ejection port after my second range trip. I think a professional baked Cerakote is what I should have done. I can live with the wear marks, but regret not just doing it right from the start.

>>Any recommendations on good suppliers in the Northeast?<<

Old Glory Guns & Ammo in Greenville, NH. They do a great job of Cerakoating.

I carry a Colt .45 combat commander in blue. The gun rusts if I so much as breathe wrong on it.

I'd like to get the gun cerakoted so that it will be weather resistant.

Are these coatings rugged and long lasting, or do they peel, scratch or chip
?

Any recommendations on good suppliers in the Northeast?

Thanks
Steve at Northeast Arms on Route 1 in Peabody does cerakoting.
@sschevy

Some pics of his cerakote work in this thread:

I had my Dan Wesson 1911 hard chromed (satin finish) and it's held up VERY well to holster wear and general range use. Not super cheap though. And you'd have to ship it to a refinisher as I'm not aware of anyone around here that does HC work.

i've had Tim at a G&N gunsmithing in Wrentham do cerakote work for me. always has come out great.

I don't know about the CErakote. I never got into it because it requires baking. However, I have personally sprayed several firearms with Duracoat and that stuff is pretty good. Both are a painted-on finish. So neither will be as durable as say anodizing or chrome plating. But my 1187 Remmy is Duracoated in flat dark earth and it's seen nearly a decade of hunting and you would be hard-pressed to find any major flaws in the finish after getting banged up in the woods during spring turkey and whitetail in the fall.

Neither is indestructible. No finish will stand up to deep scratches, gouges, etc...

Steve at Northeast Arms on Route 1 in Peabody does cerakoting.
@sschevy

Some pics of his cerakote work in this thread:

I had my Dan Wesson 1911 hard chromed (satin finish) and it's held up VERY well to holster wear and general range use. Not super cheap though. And you'd have to ship it to a refinisher as I'm not aware of anyone around here that does HC work.
that hard chrome is a nice look, my boss had his 1911 done by Greg Derr and hardchromed it. I like it.

Which would be more rugged? Satin chromed or cerakote?
Definitely hard chrome.
I highly recommend precision custom plating out of FL. The owners used to work at APW Cogan and Ford's refinishing and started their own company (precision custom plating). They're VERY well respected in the CZ and 1911 world.

The company I used for my DW 1911 was Metaloy plating which I wouldn't recommend as I think they're in financial trouble. They did good work though.

Is there a post or news item that Metaloy is in trouble?
I think they had a fire or something?

Also just passing this along regarding Precision Custom Plating:
20 for 2020

PCPE logo

Your first pistol
Both on plating and engraving

20% off

See services

Good deal there. Save yourself $60 or so assuming you get the whole gun HC'd

Last edited:
If you're looking for a darker finish than hard chrome check out ion bond or black-t. I'm hoping to have a 1911 done in ion after some work on it. Evolution armory in NH does it.

Back
Top Bottom