CEO Who Defended AR-15 Sales Ban Now Leaving DICK’s

Reptile

NES Member
Ed Stack, the CEO who defended banning AR-15 and “high capacity” magazine sales at Dick’s Sporting Goods, is stepping down from his position.

Breitbart News reported DICK’s banned the sales of “assault-style rifles” and “high capacity” magazines two weeks after the February 14, 2018, Parkland high school shooting.

On April 17, 2018, Breitbart News reported Dick’s was destroying their unsold “assault rifles,” rather than sending them back to their respective manufacturers. Dick’s also chose to destroy their unsold “high capacity” magazines.

On December 3, 2018, Rush Limbaugh referenced the Parkland High School shooting and noted the establishment responded to the incident by trying to make it look like “all of America hates guns” and “Americans want guns gone.” He suggested Dick’s bought the media’s claims hook, line, and sinker, saying, “Dick’s tries to capitalize. They go public announcing they are stopping selling guns, ammo, pictures of guns, whatever it is.”

He added, “Now the bottom’s falling out and they’re warning investors.”

But CEO Stack stood his ground, and in March 2019 made clear he was alright with $150 million loss over the gun control stance.

Bloomberg.com quoted Stack saying, “The system does not work. It’s important that when you know there’s something that’s not working, and it’s to the detriment of the public, you have to stand up.”

Dick’s stock has since returned to pre-2018 levels, and with the New York Post reportingStack credits a pandemic-driven fitness boom with helping the business’s recovery.

WIVT 34 reports Stack is stepping down from Dick’s. He will be succeeded on February 1, 2021, by Lauren Hobert, currently the president of Dick’s.

i've been in dick's once several years ago to grab a couple of nikon prostaff rimfire scopes they had on sale for a pretty sweet discount. i like to break balls over this skinflint business but i'm the biggest one here. i busted our boycott to save some bucks. i admit it!

Isn't there some procedure to follow when a Firearm is destroyed, lost, stolen etc. I am sure they followed Federal law right? How could a person find out? Must be a paper trail somewhere. I have a suspicion that the only thing Dick's destroyed was their reputation in the sporting goods community.

Good!
It suprises me that Dicks could get away with dropping a profitable part of their business and destroying good inventory. I always thought their first responsibility is to the stockholders.

It is, I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit over the quarter of a billion dollar loss. Since there hasn't been, it must have been legal, I'm just not sure where that legality would have been outlined.

It is, I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit over the quarter of a billion dollar loss. Since there hasn't been, it must have been legal, I'm just not sure where that legality would have been outlined.
I wonder if it would have been perfectly appropriate to bring it to court but no one had the balls to bitch about destroying guns and magazines. "If it saves just one life..."[rolleyes]

All Dick's has to do to bring in an avalanche of customers into EVERY DICK'S STORE EVERYWHERE is very, very simple...

Use it's buying power to stock its shelves with AMMUNITION, and offer $13 a box 9mm as a loss leader...

All Dick's has to do to bring in an avalanche of customers into EVERY DICK'S STORE EVERYWHERE is very, very simple...

Use it's buying power to stock its shelves with AMMUNITION, and offer $13 a box 9mm as a loss leader...

You'd get the fudds, and the people going for the loss leads, but that wouldn't keep customers.
People are really pissed at dicks. Its not just the destruction of the firearms, it's the hiring of 3 anti-gun lobbyists to actively lobby against the 2a.

You'd get the fudds, and the people going for the loss leads, but that wouldn't keep customers.
People are really pissed at dicks. Its not just the destruction of the firearms, it's the hiring of 3 anti-gun lobbyists to actively lobby against the 2a.
Lol. It was just a little sarcasm. Nothing will bring back Dicks for the sportsman...

My kid worked at Dick's in the Lodge. He bought a bolt-action rifle. Then they came up with the AR/must be 21 thing. He brought the rifle back for a refund, and gave his notice. "If you can't trust me to buy this, how can you trust me to sell this?"

Store manager was decent about it.

Back
Top Bottom