• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cell phones and the power grid

At what point will cell phones start to be effected by wide spread power outages? I am guessing that at some point when enough areas loose power so will cell towers and other "points of transfer". Anyone ideas?

Most towers / repeaters are on generator or redundant type power feed systems. If they go down it will because of over usage (because so many land lines are down). That being said. Ice and storm conditions will effect the towers more than the power loss will.

Most towers / repeaters are on generator or redundant type power feed systems. If they go down it will because of over usage (because so many land lines are down). That being said. Ice and storm conditions will effect the towers more than the power loss will.

In an extended power outage, wouldn't the question be how many days of fuel those generators have? I have noticed a significant decrease in reception in my area. I'm sure it's partially due to ice coverage, but I also wonder how much of that is due to the loss of power and how many towers around me actually are running on backup power..

My Nextel was on ROAMING 65% of Friday (central MA).

I was thinking this wouldn't be a good day for responding to a robbery or terror attack.

In an extended power outage, wouldn't the question be how many days of fuel those generators have? I have noticed a significant decrease in reception in my area. I'm sure it's partially due to ice coverage, but I also wonder how much of that is due to the loss of power and how many towers around me actually are running on backup power..

I now know that the tower that services my house will last ~24 hours...

In S. Central NH, the landline phones went down 12 hours after the area power went out. Guess FairPoint either didn't bother to test or fuel the generators at some of their COs. Power was out here for 60 hours or so; some areas still out of course.

We had good cell service the entire time.

Kinda sad when the old bomb-proof Bell facilities are less reliable in today's companies' hands than are cell towers.

Back
Top Bottom