CDL truckers and carrying firearms across state lines

Bill Nance

Banned
Someone I know has a CCW from the west coast and is a long-haul trucker.

He want's to know if he can keep a gun and ammo on him in states that recognize his CCW permit and can lock the pistol/ammo away in states that don't. His destinations (delivery addresses) include NYC among other places.

Aside form state/local laws I seem to recall something forbidding CDL drivers from carrying while driving, but that may be wrong.

Anyone able to clarify his rights? I told him to talk to a lawyer before he does it, but I'd be interested in knowing the answer as well.

If he has NYC as an endpoint, forget it. You can't use USC 926A with a commie state as an endpoint, CDL or otherwise. He'd be able to use that though, (with gun properly secured in no-carry states) if he was just passing through on his way to another non-commie destination as the endpoint.

I don't think a CDL per se restricts your carry ability in any way, provided other laws are followed. There may be other peculiarities, for instance, though... for example, if you have a TWIC (basically, it's a card CDL holders use that transport hazardous materials) and you use it to enter a facility, who knows if there are laws governing carriage of firearms into those facilities..... there -might- be, but I'm not sure offhand.

-Mike

Last edited:
Bringing this back i would like to keep a pistol in the truck for emergency situations. Would i be fine if i keep it in a small safe most of the time?

It would be interesting to see how many long-haul truckers do NOT have a firearm in their truck somewhere.... [thinking]

Please realize that "end point" that Mike was referring to is ANYPLACE you stop for longer than food/gas/bathroom break . . . so if you stay overnight in your rig at a truckstop in NY state, you lose FOPA and could end up in jail for a long time.

Stopping in NYC to drop a load would make NYC an "end point" and screw you royally as well.

Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom