CCW

I'm not sure, and things do change. Maybe this will be helpful:

http://www.rifol.org/pistolpermitstudy.php

RIFOL-pistolpermitstudymap_-_Copy.jpg

All town are actually required to give you a permit. It was won in a court case already. They are not supposed to deny you. It is written as "shall" issue as a permit whereas the AG office is written "may" give you a permit. I had a relative that used to work at the AG's office dealing with the gun permits. Still though, towns still try to jump around the law and deny you or send you to the AG's office. That's RI for ya.

That is not entirely true. The licensing authority is only required to issue a permit if you meet the statutory requirements in 11-47-11. They actually have some discretion in determining whether or not an applicant meets the criteria, but this is limited to the "suitability" requirement. If you meet all the requirements they Shall Issue the permit. This has been abused in the past, but a bill was introduced yesterday that will make a big difference if it becomes law.
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText16/HouseText16/H7390.pdf

This is true as long as you meet all the requirements they will issue a permit. I applied for an out of state permit for RI through the AG. Sent in all paperwork and received a letter 6 weeks later saying my permit was ready to be picked up.

PMoney,

Do you mind sharing the reason(s) you used for needing a permit?

I too live in Mass, but would like to get an RI permit. My club is very close to the border, and I am in RI a lot helping family. I also hold a C&R FFL, so I think I can qualify, I just hear so many negatives that I am afraid to end up with a denial that I will have to list each time I renew my other permits.

Any advice you are willing to share is appreciated, PM is fine if you prefer.

Thanks!

This is true as long as you meet all the requirements they will issue a permit. I applied for an out of state permit for RI through the AG. Sent in all paperwork and received a letter 6 weeks later saying my permit was ready to be picked up.

Even NYC will issue a permit if you meet all the requirements.

The issue with the non-resident AG permits is that one of the requirements is "need".

..and even if you do "demonstrate a need" (arbitrary definition depending on the day..) the AG "may" issue a permit.

The AG will issue if you meet his definition of "need".

RI is the only town where the issuing official signature was "real" rather than a stamp. A friend of mine used the AG (or previous AG) as an attorney many years ago, and the AG called him "I noticed your name when I was signing the carry permits".

A great bill was introduced last week that will improve on the licensing process in RI. It will standardize the process and also set up an appeals process. There is a good chance it will pass, so hopefully everyone who is interested in a RI permit can contact the legislators and request that they support the bill.
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText16/HouseText16/H7390.pdf

This is nice on page 5

"23 (l) No licensing authority shall require any additional forms, standards, information, or
24 other additional requirements unless specifically requested by, or provided by, the applicant.
25 11-47-12. License or permit fee. -- A fee of forty dollars ($40.00) shall be charged and
26 shall be paid for each license or permit to the licensing authority or the attorney general upon
27 issuance issuing it. No additional fees or costs of any type shall be charged for any reason, except
28 that any actual fee charged by the Federal Bureau of Investigation to process fingerprints may be
29 charged to the applicant. Every license or permit shall be valid for four (4) years from the date
30 when issued unless sooner revoked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10-4 and thanks.
What qualifies as a "gun collector?"
I have 2 long rifles and two pistols that have been in the family for 70+ years. Does that make me a gun collector?

Picked up the packet, lined up the letters of rec. One of my letters is coming from a retired law enforcement officer who is still in the security business.

I appreciate the chatter.

10-4 and thanks.
What qualifies as a "gun collector?"
I have 2 long rifles and two pistols that have been in the family for 70+ years. Does that make me a gun collector?

Picked up the packet, lined up the letters of rec. One of my letters is coming from a retired law enforcement officer who is still in the security business.

I appreciate the chatter.

Do you have a "guns", Check. You gather firearms together as a hobby, making a "collector" Check.

In the Mosby decision, he considered himself a collector and there was no scrutiny applied to the term so therefore it doesn't really matter. Remember, collecting has to start somewhere, with just one item.

I will say, Getting a C&R presents a rock solid case of being a collector and allows you to mail order SKS's

Back
Top Bottom