CCW Thwarts Crime

This is from another forum I belong to, and may have been posted here, but I didn't see it.

I thought it was worth sharing!

Mods - close it if it's a dupe.

Concealed Weapon Keeps Man Safe in Attempted Carjacking
December 6th, 2006 @ 10:00pm

/Samantha Hayes Reporting/

A Salt Lake City man says his gun saved his life today when a man
threatened to take his car. It's a story that adds fuel to the debate
over Utah's concealed weapons law.

The suspect in this case has not been caught-yet. It's probably fair to
say he'll think twice before ever threatening to steal someone's car again.

<http://media.bonnint.net/slc/54/5490/549077.jpg>

Even when running errands, just like he was doing this morning, Mike
Taylor is on guard.

Mike Taylor, Concealed Weapon Carrier: "The police have their hands full
with everything and I don't think they could be every place at once."

So Taylor was ready when, he says, a man threatened to steal his car.

Mike Taylor: "Finally he told me he was going to kill me and take my car
for himself. At that point I felt like he was going to kill me and I
feared for my life so I drew my firearm and called police."

He never fired a shot. Clark Aposhian, Bureau of Criminal Identification
Chairman says that is what usually happens.

Clark Aposhian, Chairman BCI Board: "We have not seen any type of
pattern of abuse or escalation of these types of robberies. We haven't
seen blood in the street that a lot of my adversaries or detractors
would talk about."

Maura Carabello, with the Gun Violence Prevention Center, believes
Utah's permit laws are lax.

Maura Carabello, Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah: "They could
injure themselves, often not well equipped psychologically; they often
don't know how to shoot or handle a weapon with proficiency."

She says what happened to Taylor is the best possible outcome, but not
always the norm.

Maura Carabello: "My reaction in general, though, is we are lucky. We
are lucky the permit holder is safe."

Taylor says he has carried the permit for six years; he didn't think
he'd need to use it this morning.

Mike Taylor: "I just came down to get my hair cut this morning."

"...often not well equipped psychologically..."

WOW! That is the biggest slap in the publics' face I've seen in a while. I really hope people are starting to see through this crap.

The anti's just keep coming up with snappy catch phrases don't they ?

I'd say Mr. Taylor had to be well adjusted phychologically and very well balanced morally for him to NOT have pulled the trigger !

Maura Carabello, Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah: "They could
injure themselves, often not well equipped psychologically; they often
don't know how to shoot or handle a weapon with proficiency."

Substitute your favorite/least favorite minority (OTHER than white males!) and just imagine the abuse she would get from the media.

[puke]

I have to admit that I am probably not well-equipped (psychologically) to deal with the ramifications of pulling the trigger on someone. But, I should point out that therer are a few other things that I am not well-equipped to deal with, psychologically:

Getting my car stollen from me in a carjacking
Getting murdered while being the victim of a carjacking

Compared to the psychological trauma of finding myself DEAD all of a sudden, shooting an assailant is a walk in the park. It sounds like Mr. Taylor followed a similar line of reasoning.

I have to admit that I am probably not well-equipped (psychologically) to deal with the ramifications of pulling the trigger on someone. But, I should point out that therer are a few other things that I am not well-equipped to deal with, psychologically:

Getting my car stollen from me in a carjacking
Getting murdered while being the victim of a carjacking

Compared to the psychological trauma of finding myself DEAD all of a sudden, shooting an assailant is a walk in the park. It sounds like Mr. Taylor followed a similar line of reasoning.

+1

Anti-gunners are seeing their fantasy world crumbling around them and need to lash out. I feel sorry for them and they amuse me.

You should see the editorials in the Ohio big city papers after the legislature overrode the governor's veto of a bill that strips municipalities of their ability to regulate firearms in virtually every way. [rofl]

I thought this was a great story. Not because of the anti-gun turd, but because of the BCI Chairman.

He never fired a shot. Clark Aposhian, Bureau of Criminal Identification Chairman says that is what usually happens.

Clark Aposhian, Chairman BCI Board: "We have not seen any type of
pattern of abuse or escalation of these types of robberies. We haven't
seen blood in the street that a lot of my adversaries or detractors
would talk about."

Utah has been in the news a lot lately about the stess that all of the non-resident permits have been causing the system. So, for a BCI (the Utah issuing authority) to come and say that permit holders have caused basically ZERO crime, is extremely positive.

Compared to the psychological trauma of finding myself DEAD all of a sudden, shooting an assailant is a walk in the park.

Yeah - that would definately put a crimp in your day.

Could I shoot someone? I don't know, and I hope to hell I never have to find out. However, I have been a victim and I'll be damned if I'm ever one again.

One downside of things in Utah that most people haven't noticed is that they've made it much more difficult to obtain or renew certification as a Utah CCW instructor. Rather than just signing off applications and entering our instructor numbers, as was required in the past, we now have to purchase a stamp to use on all applications (nobody there coulod really give a reason why this would help address any problem, but that the law). In addition, all instructors need to take a BCI class when applying or renewing, which so far has only been given in Salt Lake City. They say they're about having more around the country, but there hasn't been any announcements of where or when since the new law took effect July 1. My certification runs to 2009, but I won't be renewing if it requires a cross-country trip. Right now there are only 9 Utah instructors in Massachusetts, and another 9 in the rest of New England. [sad]

Ken

To quote that great actor/philosopher Jerome Horowitz, "I don't want to be dead, there's no future in it".

As to Maura, I'd much rather be alive to have problems coping with the trauma of shooting a Goblin than be dead. I'll manage somehow.

Nitwit.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom