CCW Sig 320rx with protective cover for optic

I'm finally using the caliber exchange kit I got to convert my 320 to a 320rx. The red-dot optic comes with a black plastic cover to protect it. The cover does not seem to snap into place that tightly and obviously having to remove the optic cover in a defensive situation adds another step that slows response time. However, I'm wondering if carrying without the optic cover will destroy the optic over time (or cause it to always be "on", destroying battery life). I've practiced with handguns for years, but only recently had my restrictions removed in MA. This is not my main carry gun, just want the ability to carry it if I'm going to the range for practice.

I'm finally using the caliber exchange kit I got to convert my 320 to a 320rx. The red-dot optic comes with a black plastic cover to protect it. The cover does not seem to snap into place that tightly and obviously having to remove the optic cover in a defensive situation adds another step that slows response time. However, I'm wondering if carrying without the optic cover will destroy the optic over time (or cause it to always be "on", destroying battery life). I've practiced with handguns for years, but only recently had my restrictions removed in MA. This is not my main carry gun, just want the ability to carry it if I'm going to the range for practice.

Does it carry ok with the optic on? I have never had a pistol with an optic, it seems like it would be uncomfortable to carry. If this is an issue does the optic come off allowing use of iron sights for carry?

It doesn't actually feel that bad to carry with the optic on. It shoots great. I bought the 320 compact and then ordered a caliber exchange kit with a new slide that had the optic milled on. When I shot my qualifier for NRA pistol instructor I used my 320 compact (without optic) because I found it so nice to shoot.

Carrying pistols with optics raises a number of complex issues. There are many threads about this subject. One issue is whether an optic is really helpful for making quick close range shots. This is not the subject of this thread, but I recommend reading up on this area. In short, highly qualified people have differing opinions on this subject.

Now let me address the specific question in this thread. If you want to carry a pistol with an optic, then all aspects of robustness of the optic need to be considered. The physical toughness of the optic, as well as battery life and reliability of the electronics all count. I believe that with proper maintenance, the best quality optics have reliability approaching that of iron sights. However, if you are not confident yet with your specific setup, then I would not rely on it for duty purposes. I would recommend to use it only for training until you become fully confident in the hardware, and in your ability to use it. I would consider it OK for carry to and from the range provided you are aware of your current abilities. You should make your own assessment whether to also carry a backup pistol, or whether to just carry something else and carry the optic sighted pistol to the range in a case.

Keep in mind, the reliability of the entire package of pistol and sights, as well as your ability to use the whole package, is what counts.

Also, as I noted above, the best small optics have reliability comparable to an iron sighted pistol. But in my opinion, most small optics are only reliable enough for recreational purposes. The small optics I would trust are all in the $500 range. Extensive hard use in training will eventually tell you whether the equipment you have is good enough. If the optic is damaged during training or carry to the range, then it is probably a good thing that you found out early.

Last edited:
It doesn't actually feel that bad to carry with the optic on. It shoots great. I bought the 320 compact and then ordered a caliber exchange kit with a new slide that had the optic milled on. When I shot my qualifier for NRA pistol instructor I used my 320 compact (without optic) because I found it so nice to shoot.
How much did it ended up costing the complete built including the pistol?

The cover is not for carry.

Yes, people carry with optics without an issue.

From what I can gather, the “expensive, but the thing will just work” approach is to get a Type 2 RMR and have a slide milled by a shop like ATEi, who will custom cut it for YOUR RMR body, which directs the stress through the front and rear surfaces of the RMR housing (as opposed to the screws and bosses). Then you can rack the slide off anything and unless you can break the hood, it will work and retain zero.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AHrG2SQ2010

I don’t know how durable the Romeo is, my third hand info is “less,” but it may not be unacceptable for carry.

Back
Top Bottom