1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

CCW Scenario

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by senorFrog, Jan 31, 2006.

1. senorFrog

senorFrog

2. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

That guy looked like he was in rough shape!

I think a drawn gun may have dispersed the gang. If not the little punk with the pipe would have had to made a decision on how he wanted things to go down. No matter what course of action you take, you would be the bad guy regardless of how badly you were beaten with a steel pipe.

3. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

1.) I'd do my best to neutralize the threat! [twisted]

2.) I'd call 911, give the best descriptions possible and NOT get into the fray. 15-20 to 2 is still piss poor odds and you'd probably be looking at serious jail time in MA if you jumped in and drew a gun and started "neutralizing the threat" at that point. [If one lived in a free state, not MA, this might well be very different.]

Edited to add: In 1.), I'd be fired and looking for a new job. You can bet that UPS does NOT allow drivers to be armed or to defend themselves, no matter what the danger might be.

4. SnakeEye

SnakeEye Banned

id call 911, but in massachusetts I would not stop to help..
    and not becuase of any lack of desire to, but out of a fear for my longterm legal and financial well being.
    Even righteous actions are severely punishable in this state.
    and if i did help,because of this fact , i dont think i would stick around for the law to arrive or report it. ridiculous that thats the way it has to be, but im not going to be punished for helping a fellow human being from the savage clutches of city dwelling monsters. id be happy knowing i saved a life.

5. BigWarden

BigWarden

I fear past experiences with "Brown" may cloud my judgement.

I'd call the cops two days late, and tell them that some guy is being attacked, but send them to a location down the block.

6. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    I want to tell you all a little story. I don't intend this to be a show of bravado or anything. It is a story that i am not at all proud of, and to this day, the event scares me by the level of violence that I came to inflict. I share it only because it does relate to the incident and it may be a type of response that could occur regardless of what I may wish to happen.

When I was in middle school, I got picked on all the time because I was the perfect big ol' geek who wouldn't fight back. Went on for years and I actually just grew used to it. Came to the point where some jerk would punch my shoulder and it really didn't hurt. I found that if I didn't respond, they tended to leave me alone.

One day, walking home from school, the 'gang' decided I was going to be their entertainment. Don't know to this day what really happened as it is all a blur, but I just snapped. Images i rememeber were almosot as if I was out of body watching it happen.

In the end, the 'leader' was in the hospital for over a week and others had some serious injuries. I hit several of them hard enough to break ribs. Strangely, all I had were some minor bruises - mostly from the impact of my attacks.

My parents and I attended all kinds of meetings and visits to 'councilors' for a while. I don't know what the result was, but my parents always told me that I didn't do anything wrong. I still remember one person (might have been a shrink) asking me if I was sorry for what I did and told him "NO". I was far more scared that I had lost control than of any injury I inflicted. While the verbal teasing never stopped completely, nobody ever put a hand on me again.

If I was the UPS driver... I fear - and yes, it is a fear I have had since that day - that things would not turn out well at all. Perhaps maturity and training I have had will help to temper the response, but I saw the result of the last time I confronted a gang and felt the "fight for life" feeling. Its not something I ever want to have to experience again.

So, my reaction to stories like this is "thank god it wasn't me and I didn't have to find out how i would react".

7. C-pher

C-pher

I think that the hard part to wanting to fight back is that we're so ingraned to not hit kids.

And even with kids hitting him, he might have been worried in the back of his mind that if he attacks these kids, it's instant jail and lawsuit for attacking a minor.

Just a thought.

8. Adam_MA

Adam_MA

I was reading that, and getting that scene from "A Christmas Story" in my head... The one where Ralphy was pushed over the edge by the bully, and went to town on his face... :D

Adam

9. KMaurer

KMaurer Moderator NES Member

I can relate to that, Chris. The only time I got into any trouble in high school was when I got sucker punched. Some idiot was trying to start something with me, but I just blew him off. As I turned around to walk away, his sidekick, who had walked up behind me threw one that broke my nose. I'm not sure exactly what the sequence was from there on, but about 10 seconds later I was headed for the vice principal's office (who had got me a tour of Camp Pendelton the summer before). I told him that, regardless of what my face looked like, he probably wanted to suspend me until everything got sorted out because the other two guys were in much worse shape. The only thing I had was the broken nose. I think the other two ended up with two broken noses, a broken collar bone, 5-6 cracked ribs and a badly dislocated knee between them. Thank heaven nobody was in to the touchy-feely counseling crap back then; I don't think I could have taken that psycho-babel. The three of us were out of school for a week; I spent the time at home, they both spent the first 2-3 days in the hospital.

I'm not proud of it, but regardless of what I caution people in classes, I doubt I would be able to stand by (or drive by) while somebody was assaulted in front of me. You got to look in the mirror in order to shave.

Ken