• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCW Ruining Shirts

I carry a Glock 36 and sometimes a full-size 1911 IWB at 4 o'clock-ish with a polo shirt or open button-up shirt draped over. Problem is they're starting to look moth-eaten from rubbing against chair backs. Getting dirty looks from my fashion advisor.

Appendix carry may be an option for the Glock, but not my favorite option. Ideas?

Hmmm that is a good question. I can see exactly what your saying in my mind but wondering what the best solution would be minus changing to a different ccw/holster setup. Deeper concealment or slight change of placement on your body albeit less comfortable until you get used to it might be an option. I was going to suggest a pocket carry style gun or small revolver but if your used to a 36 or full size 1911 I take it your not quite into the small stuff ;)

Most of my shirts have small holes right there too. Only thing I have found that helps are thicker tshirts like Dickies brand work tshirts. They seem to hold up fine, and protect whatever I am wearing over it.

Most of my shirts have small holes right there too. Only thing I have found that helps are thicker tshirts like Dickies brand work tshirts. They seem to hold up fine, and protect whatever I am wearing over it.

Ditto. I like abrasive stocks on my carry 1911s, so they wear through my work shirts. I notice that darker shirts tend to show the wear quicker. Either buy some heavy duty ones, or buy el cheapo and just stock up a few times a year!

How about tape the area inside your shirt right around the gun/holster? Hockey tapes might do. You'd have to replace the tape regularly. This would mitigate the wearing on the shirt. As far as the shirt getting dirty, I have no idea.

No offense, but are you a bigger guy? I carry every day with in the waist band holster with thin dress shirts and have never have a problem. And for lack of a better phrase I sit on my ass almost all day in front of a computer.

No offense, but are you a bigger guy? I carry every day with in the waist band holster with thin dress shirts and have never have a problem. And for lack of a better phrase I sit on my ass almost all day in front of a computer.

I am having the same issue with wear on clothing and I am a thin build. I carry my M&P 9C at the 4 o'clock position in a Galco King Tuck and it seems the corners of the rear sight rub the shirt when sitting and has even worn small holes in the shirts. It does depend on the material as my t-shirts are much tougher and show less wear. I have tried adjusting the cant and it has not helped. I spend a majority of my time in a cube.

Just took a close look at my sights and they are covered by the holster so they don't come in contact with my shirt. Perhaps you should try a different holster

I had the same issue when wearing a t-shirt over my IWB holster at 4-4:30 or so. I solved it by moving my holster over to 3:00 so I'm not leaning back against it when I'm sitting in a chair. It took a little time to get used to wearing it in that position, but it came with the added benefit of making drawing much easier.

could run in a 5.11 undershirt, only a gunnie would know what it was, and it would keep the firearm close and from moving around too much. sweat would be rough on the gun though as the shirt is mostly underarmour-type fabric.

Carharrt shirts seems immune to this. Or wear a T-shirt underneath the collared shirt, let that take the wear.

Yep. I always wear an undershirt even in extreme heat. I've been carrying my XDs in a white hat horsehide for months now and it's broken in nicely without ruining any shirts. My belt seems to take some wear though but once I burn through this one I'll get an Amish belt.

Appendix carry a G36 Ted? Ehhhh, that's a little large for that. But if it works try it.

How about tape the area inside your shirt right around the gun/holster? Hockey tapes might do. You'd have to replace the tape regularly. This would mitigate the wearing on the shirt. As far as the shirt getting dirty, I have no idea.
Like it!

Worth a look!

Nope. Unless you count height. I'm 6'2" 220lbs and reasonably fit. Mesh back desk chairs aren't the problem, I think. More likely wooden restaurant chairs/booths.

I like the t-shirt liner idea best!

Yep. I always wear an undershirt even in extreme heat. I've been carrying my XDs in a white hat horsehide for months now and it's broken in nicely without ruining any shirts. My belt seems to take some wear though but once I burn through this one I'll get an Amish belt.

Appendix carry a G36 Ted? Ehhhh, that's a little large for that. But if it works try it.

Great idea Al. Going to try that!

Also, Business, I think that dress shirts are actually a bit tougher than the combed cotton of my Land's End Polo shirts. Haven't had this happen with my Oxford or Pima dress shirts.

Last edited:
Hmm, never had this problem, then again I always wear undershirts (aka, "wife beaters") as well, and my holster might be different.

-Mike

Just took a close look at my sights and they are covered by the holster so they don't come in contact with my shirt. Perhaps you should try a different holster

There is leather on the inside between the sights and my undershirt, but on the outside there is nothing between the sights and my polo/t-shirt. I have not seen a holster that has leather on the outside of the sights, only the inside.

Back
Top Bottom