• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCW on a boat on the CT river

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Hey all...I'm heading up to Littleton to take my Bass Boat out for the first time tomorrow. First, I was never 100% sure how the law ended up with regards to NH CCW on a recreational vehicle, in this case a boat. Also, NH shares the CT river with Vermont. Assuming I had a paper permit (I do), and it's legal to carry CCW on a vessel in NH, does that mean I have reciprocity with VT as well?

Vermont doesn't require a license for non-resident to carry concealed or open, unless there is a special rule for a vessel, which I doubt.

Last edited:
Hey all...I'm heading up to Littleton to take my Bass Boat out for the first time tomorrow. First, I was never 100% sure how the law ended up with regards to NH CCW on a recreational vehicle, in this case a boat. Also, NH shares the CT river with Vermont. Assuming I had a paper permit (I do), and it's legal to carry CCW on a vessel in NH, does that mean I have reciprocity with VT as well?

For clarification NH does not share the CT river with VT. The entire river is in NH the state line is the shoreline on the VT side

For clarification NH does not share the CT river with VT. The entire river is in NH the state line is the shoreline on the VT side

Yeah...I guess I knew that but was concerned if I needed to dock on the Vermont side for any reason...

I can't answer your question directly but I'd check the boating laws in both states and see if there are any laws/rules governing guns on boats.

I can't answer your question directly but I'd check the boating laws in both states and see if there are any laws/rules governing guns on boats.

Thanks Len....I looked and couldn't find anything specific. I think this falls under the jurisdiction of the NH F&G. Their laws are so convoluted it's impossible to decipher them...maybe that's what they want.

If you get drunk pull out your gun and start shooting things up make sure you point it at the NH side of the river. Other than that you should be OK.

No carry law of any sort in Vermont; never have been. Long as you're over 18 and don't have intent to commit a felony, you're good.

I feel that this news story informs this thread somehow: [rofl]

2 arrested after alleged shooting off ferry from Block Island

Posted Aug 24, 2017 at 12:56 PM
Updated Aug 24, 2017 at 1:56 PM

NEW LONDON, Conn. (AP) — Two men have been arrested in Connecticut after one of them is accused of firing a gun off a ferry coming from the vacation spot of Block Island in Rhode Island.

The Day reports the two men were arrested by New London police after they arrived on the ferry Wednesday.

Police said the crew reported at 9:14 p.m. that the men were involved in a shooting off the ship’s stern. No one was hurt.

Police say they seized a Glock 43 9mm handgun.

Fifty-three-year-old Michael Richard, of Blythewood, South Carolina, and 55-year-old Michael McMahon, of Hamden, were charged with weapons and other charges. Both were released on $10,000 bond, and were due in New London Superior Court Sept. 6.

Messages left at phone listings for the men were not immediately returned.

Unlike these dopes, keep it holstered, and I think you'll be fine.

I feel that this news story informs this thread somehow: [rofl]

2 arrested after alleged shooting off ferry from Block Island

Unlike these dopes, keep it holstered, and I think you'll be fine.

I was at a local match last night and the daughter of the match director was on that boat. She took video of them on her phone which included one of them climbing the flagpole of the ferry and cutting down the flag because it offended him because it was tattered. He and his friend were both shooting and passing the gun back and forth. When the police showed up they grabbed the wrong guy, and then initially ignored her until she manged to yell loudly enough "you have the wrong guy - I have video".

Back
Top Bottom