• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCW in Texas

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
So I just came back from a business trip to Houston. I stayed in a Marriott Courtyard for a week and every time I entered the main lobby I couldn't help but notice a sign they had posted.
"It is unlawful to carry a concealed weapon on these premises without a Texas concealed carry permit. Anyone found to be carrying unlawfully is subject to arrest and up to a $10,000 fine"

At first I just shook my head and assumed the hotel was anti gun. But the more I thought about it I guess you could take it either way... They are saying it is fine to carry concealed as long as you have the permit... I am not sure how hard it is to get a CCW in Texas but it can't be as bad as Mass.
Nice state but god awful hot and humid in the Houston area... No way I would live there year round.

Well, it seems like they are only calling out "concealed" carry without a TX permit, so I have to wonder if someone was open carrying if that would be an issue?

While getting the license may be easier, texas has crappier cc laws then us, including legally binding signage.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I saw those kinds of signs a few times when i lived in Arizona, open carry is legal with just a drivers license and extremely common. Can't carry anywhere that serves alcohol (even restaurants) though.

Are you sure it wasn't this sign?

weapons.pdf

I assume the hotel had a bar and/or restaurant that are licensed to dispense alcohol for on-premises consumption. Unlicensed possession of a firearm on TABC licensed premises has a penalty enhancement, making it a felony.

So I just came back from a business trip to Houston. I stayed in a Marriott Courtyard for a week and every time I entered the main lobby I couldn't help but notice a sign they had posted.
"It is unlawful to carry a concealed weapon on these premises without a Texas concealed carry permit. Anyone found to be carrying unlawfully is subject to arrest and up to a $10,000 fine"

At first I just shook my head and assumed the hotel was anti gun. But the more I thought about it I guess you could take it either way... They are saying it is fine to carry concealed as long as you have the permit... I am not sure how hard it is to get a CCW in Texas but it can't be as bad as Mass.
Nice state but god awful hot and humid in the Houston area... No way I would live there year round.

A MA LTC-A is recognized as a valid CHL in Texas.

http://nraila.org/legislation/state...-handgun-license.aspx?s="Reciprocity"&st=&ps=

I also have a copy of the proclamation somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it. I carry a copy on me when I am in Texas (not that I need to - everyone around my place knows me and knows that I carry - so do they)

ETA: Signage is binding in Texas

Getting a resident CHL is a matter of a class in safety and qualifying at a range with an instructor. Texas is SHALL issue

Last edited:
I knew that, but if the signage indicates that you must have a TX CC permit, then would that indicate that a reciprocal would also be legal, or only a true TX permit? To me that is a gray area.

The Governor of the State has by Executive Order deemed a Ma LTC-A to be accepted the same as a Texas CHL. I doubt there is gray area. It is Texas and a Free State. You've been in MA way to long. They don't think owning a gun and carrying it is evil.

I travel all over Texas and have never been challenged about carrying. I got stopped on I-10 my a Texas State Trooper. This was back when you had to declare that you were carrying concealed. He asked for my LTC. He looked at it and handed it back to me and then said "Do you know how fast you were going?" After a 10 minute lecture (and no ticket). He asked "what you carrying?" I had a G30 on me at the time. He said we have Beretta's as an issue. We then spent 30 minutes talking about our handguns...[laugh] Different world down there, Bro.

Last edited:
I knew that, but if the signage indicates that you must have a TX CC permit, then would that indicate that a reciprocal would also be legal, or only a true TX permit? To me that is a gray area.
It is NOT a grey are at at all. If you have a license from a state recognized by Texas then you are entitled to carry as if you had a Texas license. Period. End of story.

It's a freaking unofficial sign on a door that has absolutely no force of law since it doesn't comply with Texas Penal Code Section 30.06. Whatever it says doesn't mean shit.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: Signage is binding in Texas

Only if it strictly complies with all the requirements of Section 30.06

It's a freaking unofficial sign on a door that has absolutely no force of law since it doesn't comply with Texas Penal Code Section 30.06. Whatever it says doesn't mean shit.

There is official, binding signage other than 30.06, you know. I posted one of them above. The other is a 51% notice.

The Governor of the State has by Executive Order deemed a Ma LTC-A to be accepted the same as a Texas CHL. I doubt there is gray area. It is Texas and a Free State. You've been in MA way to long. They don't think owning a gun and carrying it is evil.

I travel all over Texas and have never been challenged about carrying. I got stopped on I-10 my a Texas State Trooper. This was back when you had to declare that you were carrying concealed. He asked for my LTC. He looked at it and handed it back to me and then said "Do you know how fast you were going?" After a 10 minute lecture (and no ticket). He asked "what you carrying?" I had a G30 on me at the time. He said we have Beretta's as an issue. We then spent 30 minutes talking about our handguns...[laugh] Different world down there, Bro.

This is a very typical Texas driving and carrying story. Most people with experience will recommend you ALWAYS declare here, just because it will get you shooting the breeze with the officer. Also, we have a trooper who lives in our complex. I have had several beers with him off duty at a local bar. Good people. They get a very underserved stigma. Contrary to popular belief, tickets don't pay their salaries here, and they are mostly around to be helpful (I've seen more Texas troopers on the interstate helping stranded cars/blowouts etc. than I have ticketing stops, and that's no BS.).

Last edited:
ALP only I would assume?
I would also assume a neutered LTC-A is also neutered in every other state?
Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

That's debatable. Texas doesn't draw distinctions like they do In MA. I would imagine out in the sticks a LICENSE TO CARRY means just that. I have an ALP so I've never had a problem or was questioned. They mostly look at it and it says LICENSE TO CARRY. I don't think they look at the restriction part. The proclamation signed by Gov. Perry makes no distinction or specifies that restrictions in MA also apply in Texas. The way it's written pretty much gives you carte blanche. This is a free state we're talking about not MA. Firearms are not evil in Texas. Everyone has at least one! [laugh]

That's great information to have, and great story too, thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

It is NOT a grey are at at all. If you have a license from a state recognized by Texas then you are entitled to carry as if you had a Texas license. Period. End of story.

- - - Updated - - -

It was the binding signage law that I was referring to as a gray area, but I only knew it as a general term, not the specifics of that Penal Code that you cited, thanks.

True, however, it does not mean what is on the sign is inaccurate. The sign could simply be re-iterating the provisions of an existing TX law.

Unlicensed carry in TX is generally a misdemeanor, however, unlicensed carry on a premise licensed to sell alcohol for on-premises consumption is a felony (and prohibited even without a 30.06 sign if the business derives 51% or more of its revenue from the sale of alcohol). My guess is that the sign advises patrons that the hotel is subject to enhanced penalties due to their alcohol license, as that license probably allows consumption in common areas of the facility.

Last edited:
And if you are in a populated part of Texas good luck staying more than 1000 feet from any school and moving between point A and point B. With the sprawl of their cities and suburbs, they have elementary schools like every 5 blocks. Will you get prosecuted for the GFSZA? Likely not, but according to the charmers at BAFTE your MA LTC does you no good for Texas exemption for CCW permit holders and the GFSZA. Or any other out of state permit.

I visit my brother in the greater Houston area and always CCW, but between restaurants, school zones, etc it is a hard balance to strike.

Being a MA licensed CCW in MA is actually about as good/easy as it gets compared to most other states. They all are far more restrictive on where...

I saw those kinds of signs a few times when i lived in Arizona, open carry is legal with just a drivers license and extremely common. Can't carry anywhere that serves alcohol (even restaurants) though.

First off, you don't even need a drivers license to carry openly or concealed in AZ. You just need to not be a prohibited person. Second, regarding the prohibition on carrying where alcohol is served, that's one of a very few reasons why obtaining the optional carry permit can be beneficial. With the permit, you can carry in such places.

Well, it seems like they are only calling out "concealed" carry without a TX permit, so I have to wonder if someone was open carrying if that would be an issue?

There is no open carry in Texas on public property.

This was back when you had to declare that you were carrying concealed.

Free Willie, when did that change?

First off, you don't even need a drivers license to carry openly or concealed in AZ. You just need to not be a prohibited person. Second, regarding the prohibition on carrying where alcohol is served, that's one of a very few reasons why obtaining the optional carry permit can be beneficial. With the permit, you can carry in such places.

And, in a bizarre twist, a MA LTC is better than an AZ one in that state as it can prove you are a "non-resident". Being a "non-resident" is a valid defense against the criminal charge of carrying in an alcohol service establishment in AZ that has a no guns sign posted. (Really - strange but true)

There is official, binding signage other than 30.06, you know. I posted one of them above. The other is a 51% notice.

The one you posted is simply a penalty enhancement.

As for the whole binding signage language BS, F it. I'd rather survive to deal with that later than die.

And whatever supposed "superiority" MA has in CCW laws is more than erased by having to blow uncut dudes at the police station to exercise your "rights".

And whatever supposed "superiority" MA has in CCW laws is more than erased by having to blow uncut dudes at the police station to exercise your "rights".

In the totality, you are absolutely correct - even though there are specific instances of MA being less restrictive.

At least in TX, one does not need to think "Will it cost me my LTC is I exercise my right to remain silent?".

It was the binding signage law that I was referring to as a gray area, but I only knew it as a general term, not the specifics of that Penal Code that you cited, thanks.

The sign you saw was not a declaration of the TX Penal Code. It doesn't mean anything.

Stop overanalyzing things.

I can't believe Ohio is actually better than Texas when it comes to gun laws.

Ignoring a no gun sign on private property is the lowest of misdeamenors and there is no 51% bullshit to worry about.

If you have an Ohio CHL or a license from a state which we recognize, the fact that alcohol is served by the drink wherever you are means absolutely nothing when it comes to being armed there.

Back
Top Bottom