ccw in states which are open-carry friendly

headednorth

NES Member
I can understand why in a state such as MA, "concealed means concealed". What about states that are more gun friendly in general.(AZ,AK for instance or even parts of NH) If the population in general is more accepting of citizens carrying firearms, is there still a reason, along with legal consequences, to make sure you're keeping it well concealed? Aside from the personal preference of not wanting to advertise the fact that you're carrying, do you really have to sweat the fact that you may not be 100% concealed at all times? (getting in/out of the car, reaching/bending, etc).

Im just curious that if open carry is ok, why there would be a problem with printing, or have your jacket blow open, for instance. Again, aside from personal preference.

IANAL but I dont see why it would be an issue. The only problem that I would see with it is if someone from mass was on vacation there and happened to see it.

Im just curious that if open carry is ok, why there would be a problem

You'd have to tell us why there would be a problem. I don't quite get what you're trying to ask but can tell you that no, most people don't worry about printing or something popping out in a place where OC is accepted. I carry IWB under my shirt 100% of the time but I don't worry about printing or freak out when my shirt gets tucked behind the grip at wal mart. Honestly I don't think anyone cares around here either, unless like you said they're up on vacation from some where else. In that case its pure entertainment for myself [wink]. Hopefully it makes them decide that its a great place to vacation but they'd never wanna live here [rofl]

You'd have to tell us why there would be a problem.

@ jfcasey- Grew up in MA, so maybe Im just conditioned to assume there would be a problem. I would think if people were comfortable around firearms, it wouldnt be an issue. So, "concealed means concealed" is just a non-free state thing? It seemed silly to think its ok to open carry, but printing would be an issue, legally.I think I assumed if you chose to ccw, you were obligated somehow to make sure it stays that way 100% of the time.

@andypieces- I feel the same way about it. No one needs to know.

I conceal because it draws less attention, but on that same note I do not worry about someone catching a glimpse if I'm bending over or reaching for something. Honestly I think you would notice that if you aren't concerned about it, no one else is. If you are constantly adjusting your cover garment to keep things "concealed" you are probably showing a lot of tells and you're gonna have that look people get when they're trying to hide something. In a state where you aren't going to face legal trouble for people seeing your weapon, you are going to be a lot more "concealed" if you aren't always super worried about printing or your shirt getting tucked behind things.

So...I think your question is if you legally carry concealed in a free state like NH (need a pistol revolver liscense) or VT (need nothing), etc and don't cover it well or it somehow shows you think there may be a problem? Dude....chill pill.

There won't be....even if some idiot calls the cops for some reason your not breaking any laws. WTF are they going to do to you? In those states, its much easier to carry and use an OWB holster with just a cover shirt or something.......I don't worry about it at all, do it all the time, and always carry larger pistols too. Where in MA I tend to be a bit more discreet....

So...I think your question is if you legally carry concealed in a free state like NH (need a pistol revolver liscense) or VT (need nothing), etc and don't cover it well or it somehow shows you think there may be a problem? Dude....chill pill.

There won't be....even if some idiot calls the cops for some reason your not breaking any laws. WTF are they going to do to you? In those states, its much easier to carry and use an OWB holster with just a cover shirt or something.......I don't worry about it at all, do it all the time, and always carry larger pistols too. Where in MA I tend to be a bit more discreet....

That pretty much sums it up. Not so much worried about someone calling the popo, was curious if Im in line somewhere and popo is behind me and sees the imprint of a pistol. I was curious if there is more of a legal obligation to keep it concealed if that is the way you choose to carry.

To be honest, now that Ive typed it out, it sounds dumb considering that open carry is ok.

I conceal because it draws less attention, but on that same note I do not worry about someone catching a glimpse if I'm bending over or reaching for something. Honestly I think you would notice that if you aren't concerned about it, no one else is. If you are constantly adjusting your cover garment to keep things "concealed" you are probably showing a lot of tells and you're gonna have that look people get when they're trying to hide something. In a state where you aren't going to face legal trouble for people seeing your weapon, you are going to be a lot more "concealed" if you aren't always super worried about printing or your shirt getting tucked behind things.

Unfortunately, Im in a state where your shirt riding up in a Walmart could cause an actual problem. I do feel more reelaxed in NH, but its hard to turn the mentality on and off like a switch.

Youre absolutely correct about attracting attention when youre worried about keeping things concealed. When Im dressed so that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that things are covered, I just leave it alone and feel confident about it. The first couple of times I carried , I felt a bit nervous and was probably doing more adjusting/ checking than I should have. I probably did look like I was up to no good.

I carry an S&W Chief's Special in an OWB holster. I'm a big guy, so my jeans tend to drop a bit. I always wear my shirt untucked. When I get out of the car, I check to make sure everything's "in place"and hike up the jeans if necessary. If somebody sees something, TFB. I'll turn gun ide to a wall to adjust if I can, but I've walked down Main St Chelmsford and adjusted while walking too. Let 'em call, I'm legal. So far, three years, no troubles. Most sheeple are too f-ing self-absorbed to see anything anyway. Since I don't have an NH non-res permit yet, I OC there as soon as I get out of my car. Nashua, Manchester, wherever. It's legal, f-em!

I carry an S&W Chief's Special in an OWB holster. I'm a big guy, so my jeans tend to drop a bit. I always wear my shirt untucked. When I get out of the car, I check to make sure everything's "in place"and hike up the jeans if necessary. If somebody sees something, TFB. I'll turn gun ide to a wall to adjust if I can, but I've walked down Main St Chelmsford and adjusted while walking too. Let 'em call, I'm legal. So far, three years, no troubles. Most sheeple are too f-ing self-absorbed to see anything anyway. Since I don't have an NH non-res permit yet, I OC there as soon as I get out of my car. Nashua, Manchester, wherever. It's legal, f-em!

After my app was in, but before I had my LTC, I spent time watching people when I was out and about-supermarket,bank, wherever. People generally glance at someone briefly (usually look at their face)and thats that. A lot of people dont look at all. As I said, not really concerned about what others think because 99% wouldnt notice.

I do the car check thing too. I dont think Im all that paranoid, just lived in MA my whole life and wasnt sure how things were outside of it.

No matter what state your in or how friendly the gun culture is there are two things to take note:

1.) There will always be uniformed and nervous people that may call the police and cops are always wary of "man with a gun" calls no matter what. Even if you are doing nothing wrong, expect to be confronted. Now, years can go by and this never happens, or the first time you OC it may. Represent lawful gun owners well in all your actions.

2.) The one HUGE thing to always watch out for. KNOW THE SCHOOL ZONES. Federal law prohibits possession of a firearm within 1,000 feet of any K-12 public school. This is a LARGE area and if you dont know the area you're visiting you could end up in hot water.

I can understand why in a state such as MA, "concealed means concealed". What about states that are more gun friendly in general.(AZ,AK for instance or even parts of NH) If the population in general is more accepting of citizens carrying firearms, is there still a reason, along with legal consequences, to make sure you're keeping it well concealed? Aside from the personal preference of not wanting to advertise the fact that you're carrying, do you really have to sweat the fact that you may not be 100% concealed at all times? (getting in/out of the car, reaching/bending, etc).

Im just curious that if open carry is ok, why there would be a problem with printing, or have your jacket blow open, for instance. Again, aside from personal preference.

Very few people open carry from what I saw in 8 years in AZ. I did see a real cowboy (hat, chaps, smelled like horse from even 5+ feet away) with a small caliber revolver in the local food store, no one freaked out that I saw. My wife asked about it and I told her about open carry. The guy looked at me, nodded and continued on.

I did get pulled over once because my jacket rode up while I was on a motorcycle (to be honest, I was probably going above the posted speed limit also). I had a Baretta 96D hand cannon that was tough to conceal in 120 degree heat. After some discussion, I was on my way.

No matter what state your in or how friendly the gun culture is there are two things to take note:

1.) There will always be uniformed and nervous people that may call the police and cops are always wary of "man with a gun" calls no matter what. Even if you are doing nothing wrong, expect to be confronted. Now, years can go by and this never happens, or the first time you OC it may. Represent lawful gun owners well in all your actions.

2.) The one HUGE thing to always watch out for. KNOW THE SCHOOL ZONES. Federal law prohibits possession of a firearm within 1,000 feet of any K-12 public school. This is a LARGE area and if you dont know the area you're visiting you could end up in hot water.

Good to know. I knew school grounds were a no-go, didnt realize it included 1k feet around.

Back
Top Bottom