• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCW in North Carolina versus Mass

Summer is brutal, let me put it that way.

That was my guess. I spent a year working down at the Savannah River Plant back in '85 or so. The first two weeks of June it was over 95 every day and high humidity. Coincidentally, at that time the contractor was having a dispute with the company that serviced the portable toilets
4F4

Taxes & income are all over the place. Housing on a whole is cheap compared to MA...I bet my house would've cost me double up there. If you come down here w/money then you'll be waaaaay ahead of the game. I live off of disability so I don't pay much attention to the job market...but there is everything here ("Big Green" Remington HQ is here and FN is in SC).

What are your taxes down there? Income? Property? How does it compare to MA?

I wouldn't describe summer as brutal, but I grew up in NC. If you don't like to sweat, don't live in NC for the summer. One difference that some people might not consider is that every house here has central air. My [parents'] house was 70 degrees even when it was 101 outside.

If you're near the beach, you should probably buy your bug spray by the case though. And when they tell you to evacuate for a hurricane, do it. It's a great place though, especially if you pick the right town to live in.

Speaking of Hurricanes, anyone following the Stanley Cup?

As mentioned,the biggest pains in NC are not being able to carry any place that serves alcohol-so much for any nice dinner-or any place that charges admission from movies to museums but there are also some dumb laws such as not being able to carry in a bank and having to notify an officer that you are carrying,such as if you're asking for directions or going through a licence/DUI/seatbelt check.Public gatherings are also unlawful to attend while CCWing.As for signage forbidding carry,every mall I ever went to in NC had them but there were not nearly as many obvious signs as in Texas,which was a bit of a surprise.

For most practical purposes,as long as you live in a green town of course,the ability to actually carry is better in MA than NC.What one can buy to carry,has to pay in order to carry etc. are different issues but to me,being able to eat wherever I want while carrying or being able to go in the bank is cheap peace of mind.

Asheville area

Hi all you NC guys --

I am thinking of semi-retiring in the Asheville area (probably west of the city, but within a 20 minute drive or so). I like the mountains, like white water rafting, hiking, bike riding, and generally, the outdoors. I have been to Asheville twice, and I have mixed feelings about it -- I have heard that it is very liberal, but maybe not so much outside the city. I am not looking for a conservative conclave, but would like to live someplace 'moderate.' Interestingly, I was born in Charlotte, but left when I was two, and now, full circle, probably returning to western NC to live out my life. I do want a gun-friendly place along with the outdoors, as well as OK with cost of living. Any thoughts, info, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom