• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCW in North Carolina versus Mass

I'm currently down on the outer banks of North Carolina. It's amazing how many place down here have signs that say that concealed weapons are prohibited. I'm not sure about NC (I was too young when I lived here and I didn't bring one with me), but I know in Ohio those signs carry the force of law.

It makes me realize that although it's much more difficult to get a license in MA, we're much less restricted as to where we can carry.

The outer banks is libtard territory. That is why. Drive in land, those signs likely go away. I don't know what NC law is regarding the signs but I have heard there are lots of place in NC where you are statutorily prohibited from carrying, which may or may not correspond to your signage spottings.

I have a friend who moved from Holliston MA down to Kannapolis NC a few years ago. He had an LTC up here and he got his CCW down there. He tells me that to buy a long arm from a dealer requires a NICS check, but NOT for a handgun, because you need the CCW permit to buy a handgun, but only a DL is required for a long arm. Somehow that dosen't make sense? I thought it was a federal law that a NICS check be run for ALL firearm purchases from an FFL. [thinking]

I lived in NC on and off for about 16 years.

The only place I saw those signs were at the main entrances to the mall. Interestingly, the signs were absent on the outside entrances at Sears, JC Penny, and Belk. The signs were also absent at the mall entrance from those stores also. It was not a bad thing to walk through the power tool section of Sears to get to the main part of the mall!

In NC, it was 10x easier to get a carry permit and buy handguns than it was in my native NY. I recall one time where the nice girl at the Sheriff’s Office put a rush on purchase permit because it was close to Christmas. When I went to pick it up she asked me, "Would you like four or five permits instead of the just the one? That way you don't have to do all the paper work again next time." Of course, I accepted!

The NC statutory prohibitions from carrying are somewhat quirky. For example, you are prohibited from carrying anywhere that serves alcohol and charges admission for entry. Which means dinner at Outback and a night at the movies is verboten.

+1 Jose.

I lived in NC up until 4 years ago, and carried there, I think I only ran into 2-3 of those signs, not including most of my employers.

I don't have to worry about it here because I'm not allowed to carry :)

At gunshows in NC, there's the sherrif standing at the door signing CCW permits before you pay the 2 dollar admission :)

What about the weather? Lot of hurricanes and what not right? How is it further inland? What about taxes? High? Low?

What happened Jim? You lose your job as NH's ambassador to all disaffected gun owners and looking to move to NC or are you just scoping out the competition? [grin]

How come you left? Gun laws? Or was it more than that? I'd always thought NC would be a lot better than MA but I guess not in some ways.

I lived in the “coastal plains” of NC. It was flat, humid, and prone to hurricanes.

I grew up in the Adirondacks and wanted to get back to the mountains / snow without going back to the PR of NY. I miss the ‘dacks, but not NY.

It was time to change jobs and my wife asked if we could live closer to family in NY / RI.

Besides the aforementioned peculiar carry prohibitions, NC gun laws were good. It is a class three state to boot!

I didn't think the taxes were outrageous.

Western NC near Boone reminds me of the 'dacks. In fact, that is where The Last of the Mohicans was filmed. However, as I said, NC was too far from family. Otherwise, I would have considered moving to the western part of the state.

I have reluctantly driven through MA and visited friends there. From their comments and from what I have read on this board, NC is better than MA by a long shot.

I lived in Nevada (S. of Carson city) for a short time also. Other than the fact that there are a very few trees, it was a great place to live also.

I've been here in NC since Oct. 2001 and have got my CCW back in 2002. A NICS check is only required for long guns *unless* that person either has a CCW or pistol purchase permit. The purchase permit is a backround check done by the sheriff's department and is considered the "waiting period" for buying a handgun, but can also be used for a long gun as well which will bypass the NICS check. A CCW can also be used instead of the purchase permit for both long guns and handguns and only the 4473 needs to be completed...no NICS. NC is also a NFA friendly state...I just received my stamp for this on Monday:
SBR2.jpg

This is my other SBR:
pdw1.jpg

I also submitted a Form 4 for an AAC M4-2000 suppressor which will go on the 556 SBR and my AR-15 A2 carbine. Overall NC is very gun friendly, but most of the coastal reigon, Raleigh and Charlotte are enemy territory.

I have a friend who moved from Holliston MA down to Kannapolis NC a few years ago. He had an LTC up here and he got his CCW down there. He tells me that to buy a long arm from a dealer requires a NICS check, but NOT for a handgun, because you need the CCW permit to buy a handgun, but only a DL is required for a long arm. Somehow that dosen't make sense? I thought it was a federal law that a NICS check be run for ALL firearm purchases from an FFL. [thinking]

That state went way off the deep end a long time ago.

I left when I was 19. The things that were important to me then are not the things that are important to me now.

New York - a place where 42% of the population occupies 0.64% of the land area.

Some states exempt CCW holders from NICS checks, BATFE qualifies some permits as exemptions from a NICS check.

IIRC without a CCW you can get a handgun in NC, but you have to go beg to the sheriff to buy one or some garbage like that. (they have purchase permits like they do in NJ).

-Mike

No! GOAL did us in several years back. They said to go for this license period as it would help us.

Well, everyone in the state wanted 6 years, because it defeated the requirements for a NICS background waiver.

Other states like Alaska would issue cards so that their citizenry do not have to a NICS check. In Massachusetts we set it so that you must have a NICS check. Do you really think GOAL or anyone is trying to help you?

Bill

Actually GOAL has done more for us in MA than the NRA. The NRA has basically written this state off.
Jim as far as NC goes, I would move there, it is about as far south as I would go.

What are the implications of that? About the only place in NC that I'd be interested in retiring to would be the coastal region.

What I bet he means is that there are more libtardsin those regions, but nothing more than that.

NC gun laws are uniform statewide.

No! GOAL did us in several years back. They said to go for this license period as it would help us.

Well, everyone in the state wanted 6 years, because it defeated the requirements for a NICS background waiver.

I don't recall GOAL ever stating a NICS exemption as a part of licensing reform.

Further, NICS exemption via permit is a lot more complicated than you think it is- the state's requirements have to be in line with the feds requirements for doing this, and then there is likely poltiical BS on top of it, such as the AG's office being in on the agreement, which is likely to happen around the time hell freezes over.

Bear in mind that even some pro gun states do not have this exemption, because of the way their
licensing systems are structured, or the qualifications they have in place for obtaining a permit are lesser
than the "federal template."

ETA: See LenS's post here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=335778&postcount=4

-Mike

Last edited:
CCW

here in SC you need a permit to carry concealed and they mean concealed.
no fids.but if you want to carry you just put it in the glove compartment with out a permit.18yr olds can own a pistol,cant by from FFL but can do FTF.
most have shot gun in the truck.and hunting is a way of life.sept 1 to jan 1 is
deer season unlimited bucks.we got 7 last fall.just throw in truck and take to processer.we counted 29 deer in back of garage one late after noon.I wish i had a camera the other day when the fox walked away fom back of house with a mouth full of spaggetti sticking out both sides.
the coast has the hurracains,I am mile off I95, 90 miles from coast.pay is low.
expence is about the same taxes on realestate is low. at 65 they give you 50,000 of the assest value.my 90 acres house and 60 x24 garage are $220 yr.and the farmer who rents my crop land pays that +.

The coastal communities are pretty much resort towns/very upscale and they feel more "civilized" than everyone else. The local LE also doesn't want to unsettle vacationers. Raleigh & Charlotte are liberal strongholds. Pretty much elsewhere in the state it is not uncommon to see people open carry, gun racks in pickup trucks...with guns actually in them, and even if you carry concealed and are "printing" no one freaks out. If you retire down this way, you can do extremely well 20-30 miles from the coast. South of the Outer Banks is beautiful and the fishing is off the hook. The gulf stream is only 60-80 miles out and the inshore is on fire from mid spring to late fall. Coastal hunting is excellent because there is little hunting pressure in that reigon.

What are the implications of that? About the only place in NC that I'd be interested in retiring to would be the coastal region.

The coastal communities are pretty much resort towns/very upscale and they feel more "civilized" than everyone else. The local LE also doesn't want to unsettle vacationers. Raleigh & Charlotte are liberal strongholds. Pretty much elsewhere in the state it is not uncommon to see people open carry, gun racks in pickup trucks...with guns actually in them, and even if you carry concealed and are "printing" no one freaks out. If you retire down this way, you can do extremely well 20-30 miles from the coast. South of the Outer Banks is beautiful and the fishing is off the hook. The gulf stream is only 60-80 miles out and the inshore is on fire from mid spring to late fall. Coastal hunting is excellent because there is little hunting pressure in that reigon.

I want to be close enough to the coast to go fishing whenever I want.

How hot and humid is it in the summer near the coast? And how far from the coast do you need to be to be safe from storm surge during a hurricane?

How hot and humid is it in the summer near the coast?
VERY.

I don't get this softness towards heat and humidity. It is what it is. Drink water, dress correctly, and thrive in it.

Maybe I am lucky that I grew up in the tropics.......

VERY.

I don't get this softness towards heat and humidity. It is what it is. Drink water, dress correctly, and thrive in it.

Maybe I am lucky that I grew up in the tropics.......
I grew up in Chicago. Even dressed in shorts and a light shirt, heat and humidity eats me up.

Sorry for starting this thread and disappearing. I was at the beach, and there wasn't a lot of internet access out on the pier or in the surf.

I grew up inland in NC, in the Raleigh area. Two laws about where you can carry in NC that are very annoying are that you can't carry in any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises (so basically any restaurant) or in any place that charges admission (movies are the worst).

I wouldn't describe the outer banks as liberal. Not compared to say, Chapel Hill. Of course if you compare them to Farmville or Roxboro, then they're liberal.

You're the first person I've seen that has ever heard of Roxboro! My parents live in Timberlake just outside Roxboro and everyone always has to ask where it is. I tell them take 15/501 until you find a ghetto in a backwoods town. haha

Summer is brutal, let me put it that way. Actual storm surge won't go past a few miles on the crystal coast, outer banks is another animal.

I want to be close enough to the coast to go fishing whenever I want.

How hot and humid is it in the summer near the coast? And how far from the coast do you need to be to be safe from storm surge during a hurricane?

Back
Top Bottom