• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCW etiquette at a friend's house

Ill answer honestly but I dont volunteer it.
I have some friends/family that out me all the time. My fiances uncle always makes a show of it when he sees me by lifting my shirt or grabbing my side. Hes a bit of a clown but he used to carry and has had to draw when he did hvac service in bad areas. Still a clown though.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Yes so I can check out their gun and waste the next 2 hours talking shop.

"Thank you for telling me, good sir. Please, step into my office." "Hey Ma, can we get some meatloaf!"

Oh, and the answer was 24 rounds of .45 and 16 of 9x18, with more of each in my suitcase. He had a loaded .357 with two speedloaders, and 24 loose rounds.

^ Don't mess with this guy OR his friends.

nortoncloselaptop.gif

Ditto! And why I could NOT live in one of those Southern States were it is a legal requirement to get permission from a homeowner or business owner in order to legally carry on their property!!!

I've got to ask, which state or states are those? I've been doing a lot of research of gun laws in various states and have come a across a couple that have binding signage banning firearms, but none where you need a permission slip to carry if the building isn't posted.

I never mention it, but most of my friends and family probably know that I carry because I am very pro-gun and pro-CC. If someone ever told me to leave my gun at home or in my car before entering their house I would leave and not go back. I am not disarming myself because it makes someone uncomfortable.

Some people feel they must advertise they are armed. I don't understand it. Well I do, but I'm not going there.

Some people think it make's them cool or special and they want everyone to know.

Simple answer is no.

My friends know my position on firearms and they still invite me to their homes.

Some of my friends are weary of guns, some are weary of large dogs, I have both. Those that invite me to their homes accept me as I do them when they come to mine.

We are also the god parents of and watch their children when they go out, maybe because of my dogs and firearms!!

The best way I could describe my mentality is to say that I view a firearm the same way I view a cellphone. I carry one and think nothing of it. It wouldn't even occur to me to mention it upon entering someone else's home, and I would think it odd for someone to mention it to me upon entering my home.

This

"Concealed means concealed."
"I wouldn't be friends with someone who had a problem with me carrying."
"Get new friends."
"...'MERICA!!!"

Now that all of that machismo B.S. is out of the way, a few questions for you gents:

When you go to a friend's house, and you are carrying concealed, do you inform your friends that you are armed?

Would you want a guest in your home to make you aware if they were carrying a gun?

Thanks!

- P -

Machismo?

I am going to welcome with open arms people open carrying into my new place in NH. I plan on doing it all the damn time. If the neighbors don't like it, oh well.

I have no issues with anyone carrying into my place now, or into my new place. As long as they aren't retards and waving it around, I have no issues.

My wife was quite unhappy with me today for OC around the yard - it was hot and I was sweaty so wanted to keep it clean.
Reason she was mad - her anti family was coming over and she doesn't want them to freak out.

My reaction, pull the shirt over when her family got there and pull out the pellet rifle and BB pistol. A little back porch range time is always nice.

I've got to ask, which state or states are those? I've been doing a lot of research of gun laws in various states and have come a across a couple that have binding signage banning firearms, but none where you need a permission slip to carry if the building isn't posted.

I've never heard of requiring permission from a business owner, except some places that are otherwise prohibited (bars, schools); with permission, carry is allowed in those places but otherwise prohibited.

Arkansas and Louisiana both require permission from homeowners before legally carrying. I think there might be another, but I don't recall which; it's not close to either of those. Possibly SD?

I am going to welcome with open arms people open carrying into my new place in NH. I plan on doing it all the damn time. If the neighbors don't like it, oh well. I have no issues with anyone carrying into my place now, or into my new place. As long as they aren't retards and waving it around, I have no issues.

Just missed the group buy:

The really hardcore NHers not only welcome people carrying, but also keep a couple of loaners for visitors, such as folk who had to change planes in New York.

I don't remember the states, but participate in the same discussion as this one on DefensiveCarry.com and it comes up there frequently. Others on that forum have reported that their states require permission for anyone bringing a firearm onto their property/into their house!!

The reason for the "machismo" statement is that I am interested in more than just trite, oft-repeated sentiments. I wanted rationale.

That being said, thanks for a whole host of great answers, everybody. I wish I hadn't revealed to my friends that I CCW....now it's a known fact. Boo to me.

The reason for the "machismo" statement is that I am interested in more than just trite, oft-repeated sentiments. I wanted rationale.

That being said, thanks for a whole host of great answers, everybody. I wish I hadn't revealed to my friends that I CCW....now it's a known fact. Boo to me.

The right to fight for survival is more inherent than anything else in this world. You should not feel the need to justify being armed to anyone.

that's the problem i have. i dont want anyone knowing just so they dont bring it up at the wrong time. like my son did one time in front of a group of people......the looks were priceless! i had a talk with him shortly after......lol

I do not discuss the fact of if I am carrying our not. I don't ask others if they are.

I have one friend that I lock up my gun in the car almost everytime I go to his house. His children are young and like to wrestle around so I don't carry. I don't believe they are mature enough myself to handle it properly. He is ok with me carrying and says if it comes up he will have the conversation but for the meantime I just don't carry at his house.

Maybe this question should be in it's own topic, here goes.

I've seen more than few of you say you lock it up in your car. Doesn't it bother you to leave it unattended in your vehicle?
If I have it out of the safe I abhor leaving it anywhere that it is not under my direct possession and control.

Also, when I moved out of Mass in 2002, IIRC it was illegal to leave it unattended in vehicle. I am guessing that has been changed?

Maybe this question should be in it's own topic, here goes.

I've seen more than few of you say you lock it up in your car. Doesn't it bother you to leave it unattended in your vehicle?
If I have it out of the safe I abhor leaving it anywhere that it is not under my direct possession and control.

Also, when I moved out of Mass in 2002, IIRC it was illegal to leave it unattended in vehicle. I am guessing that has been changed?

I pick and choose where I feel it is a reasonable/responsible area to leave a gun locked up. If the area is bad I should be carrying in the first place. There are options for having a safe (gunvault, etc) to secure your firearm in the car. I am not just disarming and tossing it in the glovebox. It is perfectly legal to leave your gun locked up properly in your vehicle.

My family, friends never know if I am carrying or not. in fact my wife sometimes asks at night if I carried or not, because she could not tell. Concealed means concealed.

i carry my gun everywhere i go, i expect my friends to do the same. if you show up without a gun i suppose i'll let you hold one of mine, but i'll make fun of you and tell you to bring your own next time.

I pick and choose where I feel it is a reasonable/responsible area to leave a gun locked up. If the area is bad I should be carrying in the first place. There are options for having a safe (gunvault, etc) to secure your firearm in the car. I am not just disarming and tossing it in the glovebox. It is perfectly legal to leave your gun locked up properly in your vehicle.

If the area is bad, I give serious thought to whether I want to be there or not. Sometimes I have no choice, but if I can, I'll avoid that kind of place.

I asked if anyone was carrying yesterday at our Party. Only reason, we were going out on the lake and was offering up space in a safe if they didn't want to risk gettting them wet or dropping them in.

Back
Top Bottom