• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCI Small/Large Magnum pistol primers question

Guys I'm just starting reloading, in fact tonight was going to be my first reload session. I picked up most of the powder, bullets and primer from Rileys a month or so ago. I was just about to load my first 9mm round when I noticed the the CCI primers I bought are Magnums (both the small ones for my 9mm and the large for my 1911 45ACP). I think I know the answer but I was looking for confirmation, these are the wrong primers right?

Thanks
Mark

They're not "wrong" but they are overkill for your application. In most cases you won't hurt anything by using them. You might notice a subtle difference in velocity. Start at the start charge and work up slowly, as usual. Bunch of us here have used magnums in non magnum apps with no problems.

-Mike

Glad you asked instead of making a few hundred and giving the impact puller a workout. The manuals are literally a lifesaver and there are many knowledgeable loaders here.

I have used Winchester large pistol primers that were for both standard and magnum loads and some shooters use only magnum primers in their 9mm loads. large rifle magnum primers are slightly taller than standard primers but this shouldn't matter in this case.

Thanks Mike I appreciate the advice. I'll definitely keep the powder charge on the low end.

Regards
Mark

You don't have to -keep- it there, just start there and chrono the results. You may find the difference is a wash between regular and magnum.

What I do when developing a load is make a box of cartridges with graduated increases in charge, usually 5-10 rounds apiece, which will give me enough to sample with.

If you don't have a chrono, get one...or borrow a buddy's, at least.... (but don't shoot it!) Working up loads without a chrono is like searching for something in the dark.

An upshot here is that in 9mm Luger and .45 ACP most book data is extremely conservative, and you have little chance of blowing up any modern handgun in those calibers, even with published max load data in that caliber, even with magnum primers. You have a better chance of winning powerball.

-Mike

Last edited:
I have an additional question here. If I use non-magnum small pistol primers on my 357 Mag loads, how does that affect things? Really, what is the difference between a magnum and non-magnum primer?

I have an additional question here. If I use non-magnum small pistol primers on my 357 Mag loads, how does that affect things? Really, what is the difference between a magnum and non-magnum primer?

Whether or not you use a magnum primer is determined not by the cartridge, but by the powder. The reloading manual will tell you what to use.

For example, if you were loading .357 magnum with Bullseye, the manual would likely call for a standard primer. However, if you were loading with H110, it would probably call for a magnum primer. Generally speaking, you use magnum primers for slower powders, but you should always refer to the manual for the proper primer.

In most cases, magnum primers are hotter and more powerful than non-magnum primers. There is no universal standard for primers, and different manufacturers use different compositions and amounts of priming compound in their primers. You may find a difference in velocity/consistency/accuracy for a load when you change nothing but the manufacturer of the primer (go from Winchester to CCI for example). Or maybe not. Or maybe only for some loads.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom