• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCI Shotshell 22lr

DJBrad

NES Member
Anyone have any experience with this ammo out of a rifle or pistol? I bought it with the purpose of doing some small game hunting last year or pest control with Walther P22Q. I’m sure it would sting a human quite well.

102995EA-7804-453E-9D64-9A68BB4E6DC4.jpeg

Anyone have any experience with this ammo out of a rifle or pistol? I bought it with the purpose of doing some small game hunting last year or pest control with Walther P22Q. I’m sure it would sting a human quite well.

View attachment 340673
Those things will barely kill a mouse at 10 feet even with the 38 special version. Sting a human? I guess it will enough to piss em off real good!

I've used the .22 stuff out of a revolver killing rattlesnakes. They work. Not going to do much to a clothed person so don't waste them for that purpose.

I've loaded and tested the .38/357 version and the .44spl/44mag version shot shells in 7, 9, and 12. All will give good shot coverage pattern on about a 14x14 cardboard with clean through penetration at 25 feet. image.jpeg

Last edited:
They work ok out of my smooth bore Remington 22 garden gun for killing chipmunks in the garden.
i forget who makes them but I prefer the brass crimped one with out the blue plastic.

They work ok out of my smooth bore Remington 22 garden gun for killing chipmunks in the garden.
i forget who makes them but I prefer the brass crimped one with out the blue plastic.
Federal and Winchester make the brassed crimped ones.
The shot size is limiting . 9s would be better but so few can fit.
The 22lr shot shell will work much better from the smooth bore garden guns.
as kids we used to shoot wasps and flower heads

They wouldn’t run in my p22. Every couple rounds the capsule would break on the feed ramp. I do have some for my 44 mag for snake control when hiking.

I've used the .22 stuff out of a revolver killing rattlesnakes. They work. Not going to do much to a clothed person so don't waste them for that purpose.

I've loaded and tested the .38/357 version and the .44spl/44mag version shot shells in 7, 9, and 12. All will give good shot coverage pattern on about a 14x14 cardboard with clean through penetration at 25 feet.View attachment 340679
Nice! Do you always use wadcutter brass for these loads?

Never heard of them before but they look cool!

These (or similar) have been around forever. Somewhere in the Heaps, I have some, that pre-date plastic: the shot containers are wood! IIRC, they're .38.

As far as I can tell, they're pretty much For Novelty Use Only, as damn few people have smoothbore .22s, but everyone wants to see what they can do. Once.

Think about it....you buy regular 22 by the brick....these are 10 or 20/pack. That's pretty much a lifetime supply. [laugh]

I prefer the .45 version. NOT the one that has the blue plastic bullet but the one with the aluminum shell that almost looks like a it has a bullet shape molded into the shell.
Those will work the action of the 1911. I use them when I go deer hunting in my side arm in case I see a partridge. I basically have a tiny semi auto shotgun..

RC

if you are going to use against a person, aim for the face and you'll probably blind them

That's true......but I'd rather they not be able to testify against me. [thumbsup] that's why I always use hollow points or fmj.

I have 2 boxes in .22magnum (NAA Black Widow) for snakes only. Haven’t used them yet, wil find out if they work when I come across any snakes. 🤷‍♂️

Out of Walther p22 they call it ”an accurizing package“

iirc they sell the same thing a .223 and market it as accurizing Package for mini 14s.

I worked on a clean up crew in Arizona along Lake Pleasant back in the late 1980's and the crew leader used them for rattlers in an old Ruger Bearcat a couple of times.
All close up headshots. Was never sure why he just didn't use 40 grain LR. He was so close he couldn't miss...

Everyone on the crew wore snake gaiters anyway...

Had a mouse infestation in a storage trailer a few years ago. Loaded up my 9 shot High Standard Sentinel Deluxe with shot shells, pulled my riding mower into it and left it running. About a minute later, mice started bailing out and it was like a shooting gallery! Nice thing about the shotshells is that they really don't damage anything in the background.

DO NOT USE THEM IN A RUGER.

My buddy was and those little balls get into the trigger and lock everything up. I brought it home to MA where I tried to wash and blow them out cause the local guy in ME scratched the crap out of his gun.

I ended up calling CS who were great BTW and the first words out of the woman’s mouth were “shot shells”. She walked me thru it and sure as shit the tiny balls were bouncing on the kitchen island.

View attachment 340673
Waste of money. Us southerners use .22LR hollow points for venomous snakes and small vermin. The tiny shot charge in those CCI shells give them an effective range of only a few feet. A snake can strike one half of the length of its body, so that is far too close for comfort!

never saw those before, pretty interesting. i'm a t/c contender aficionado also, lol, thought i've seen everything.

I actually have a few live ones kicking around here somewhere, and some of those special extra long shotshell capsules to reload them.
They came in a mystery box of reloading stuff I got at a gun show sometime in the 80's, but I never did find the specific powder charge data to load them. I think it also requires a unique seating die too, but I don't have that either.
Problem is, they don't pattern worth a crap unless you have the special .357 T/C barrel with the screw-on choke, which I never had either.
I tried a few from a regular rifled 10" .357 T/C barrel, and the results were disappointing.

i vaguely remember something like that now that you mentioned it....

They also made a similar choke accepting barrel in .45LC/.410, which was far more common than the .357 version.
I had one of those and it patterned very nicely, but without the choke the pattern was rather random and useless.

Here's a pic I found of the .357 Hot-Shot barrel with the choke and choke wrench in the box:

wm_3806457.jpg

Back
Top Bottom