• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCI AR Tactical 22 lr

based on the website http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/products.aspx it just has a tiny bit less velocity than the mini mag.
It is a more rounded bullet which to me explains the difference in velocity.
Other than that I dont exactly understand what makes that a tactical bullet and "better" for an AR.
I would also ASSUME that there should be no problem/difference shooting that in bolt action?

rounded feeds better, so more likely to run reliably in a semi. everything works in a bolt, so thats a correct assumption.

"Specifically tested for S&W M&P 15/22"

The Tactical bullet has a different profile than most standard round nose. It's got a taper to it.

It's also supersonic for only a short distance, while other rounds go subsonic further out. That transition to subsonic can destabilize the bullet - the "transonic zone." You'll find many people prefer the standard velocity rounds for that reason.

Marketing?

For whatever reason, it's the ONLY ammunition I've found that reliably runs my wife's Sig Mosquito.
Which apparently self-identifies as an assault pistol...

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0956
I don't like when they don't tell you what was redesigned?
Cleaner powder? Less lube, more sensitive primer? What?

You need to ask yourself what ammo did these manufactures design their new model guns around?
The 22lr is a pretty basic design that been around for 100 plus years. Now all of a sudden newer 22lr firearms need special ammo BS.
No 22lr firearm should need "special" ammo. I have 3 22s that are 50 years old and will run on 22 short , long and LR all being of SV.
Fine if it runs better in your gun so be it.... the velocity difference is a tad confusing...

For all practical reasoning the sub sonic transaction is right around 1100fps altitude and environmental factors not included. But 1100 is a base.
CCI claims 1.5" @ 100 yards
Now this stuff drops to subsonic with in 50 yards so the bullet and destabalize at that point and open your groups up.

Also I will say if they used a MP22 AR for testing at 100 yards and get 1.5" groups
Not only do I say pretty darn good both for the ammo and the MP22.... I am a little doubtful though that they used a MP 22 for accuracy testing.

If it works well in your rifle and accuracy is good then buy as much of the same lot # as possible.

Last edited:
"Specifically tested for S&W M&P 15/22"

The Tactical bullet has a different profile than most standard round nose. It's got a taper to it.

It's also supersonic for only a short distance, while other rounds go subsonic further out. That transition to subsonic can destabilize the bullet - the "transonic zone." You'll find many people prefer the standard velocity rounds for that reason.

Ahhhh, but Subsonics are what they should be using.

Marketing?

For whatever reason, it's the ONLY ammunition I've found that reliably runs my wife's Sig Mosquito.
Which apparently self-identifies as an assault pistol...

I put a FIAL on the manufacture for this one. Unless they specifically design a gun for HV it should run on SV bulk box ammo.

I put a FIAL on the manufacture for this one. Unless they specifically design a gun for HV it should run on SV bulk box ammo.

I don't wanna turn this into a "shit on" or "praise" the mosquito thread but they give you 2 recoil springs for different ammo, which i've found to solve the issues many people have.

I see the CCI AR Tactical 22lr as the bulk version of the minimags. If you're shooting M&P 15-22, you're not really looking for precision beyond 50 yds anyways. It is marketing. Same with the Choot Em. They are the 36 gr HP minimags. But somehow, three individual sleeves cost less than the same three sleeves together in a Swamp People box.

I don't wanna turn this into a "shit on" or "praise" the mosquito thread but they give you 2 recoil springs for different ammo, which i've found to solve the issues many people have.

Rep sent. I bought the Mosquito used, didn't know that it had different recoil springs available, and this is the first time anyone's mentioned that.

I've got a small number [1] of .22's, and when I get a new one, I run different ammo through it to see what it likes. Then I make sure that I keep at least a couple bricks of that ammo on hand for that gun.

[1] Small number - if you're a liberal it's a "damn arsenal"; if you're a shooter it's "not nearly enough"[2].
[2] (3) Buckmarks, the Mosquito, a SP101, a 617, a Marlin, a 10/22, a Savage Mark II, a CMMG dedicated AR and an Advantage Arms kit [3].
[3] Nope - not nearly enough - but I'm working on other calibers right now...

then I say bravo to the manufacture then....

I see the CCI AR Tactical 22lr as the bulk version of the minimags. If you're shooting M&P 15-22, you're not really looking for precision beyond 50 yds anyways. It is marketing. Same with the Choot Em. They are the 36 gr HP minimags. But somehow, three individual sleeves cost less than the same three sleeves together in a Swamp People box.

the AR tactical from all that I have seen does have a different profile bullet.....slightly thinner on the nose (to combat fouling ?) With 22lr semi auto rifles being made since 1914 theres noting new in the 22lr rifle world.... if manufactures are not designing the feed system for your standard 40 grain round nose SV LR they are not doing it right.

theres nothing the manufactures are doing to day that has not been done in the past
John M Browning gave us the first commercial 22lr semi auto rifle in take down version right out of the gate the browning SA-22 fine shooting gun also. from 1914

then I say bravo to the manufacture then....

Sarcasm noted based on the history but for bulk ammo, golden bullets seems to be a good choice, and of course Sig recommends minimags only.

- - - Updated - - -

Rep sent. I bought the Mosquito used, didn't know that it had different recoil springs available, and this is the first time anyone's mentioned that.

I've got a small number [1] of .22's, and when I get a new one, I run different ammo through it to see what it likes. Then I make sure that I keep at least a couple bricks of that ammo on hand for that gun.

[1] Small number - if you're a liberal it's a "damn arsenal"; if you're a shooter it's "not nearly enough"[2].
[2] (3) Buckmarks, the Mosquito, a SP101, a 617, a Marlin, a 10/22, a Savage Mark II, a CMMG dedicated AR and an Advantage Arms kit [3].
[3] Nope - not nearly enough - but I'm working on other calibers right now...

before you try any changes with the sig i'd definitely try golden bullets, having great success with them

Sarcasm noted based on the history but for bulk ammo, golden bullets seems to be a good choice, and of course Sig recommends minimags only.

- - - Updated - - -

before you try any changes with the sig i'd definitely try golden bullets, having great success with them

then thats even better that the sig recomends HV ammo thats fine.
Although I find it hard to believe they actually list mini mags in the owners manual. Although from what i have learned about the sig is it comes with a recoil spring installed from the factory for HV loads and a extra spring for SV loads.

Also if you are getting good results with rem golden turds, god bless.

its all fun.... some guns work better than others with certain ammo.

also note that what one manufacture calls HV can be different from another. one company can call thier 1100fps HV while another might run 1250, 1325 ect

I found this funny and I just noticed this after checking out my friends MP AR 22 a factory recomendation on what not to use

Through our testing, Smith & Wesson has also found that there
are several brands and types of .22LR ammunition that do not
perform consistently or reliably. Consequently, Smith & Wesson
DOES NOT RECOMMEND that the following brands or types of
.22LR ammunition be used in your M&P15-22 rifle:
• Remington Golden Bullet • Remington Thunderbolt
• Remington Target 22 • Winchester Wildcat
• Any and all sub-sonic brands and types
Please call Smith & Wesson Customer Service at 1-80

Last edited:
My SR22 loves these and the Mini Mags. No issues with these (much better than any of the federal .22 I've tried so far)

Other than that I dont exactly understand what makes that a tactical bullet and "better" for an AR.

I can tell you it feeds better in my .22LR ARs than some of the other ammo I've tried. Fewer misfeeds.

since I dont have an AR and I just found a "source" to get both, and the price is identical, I got 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mag and 300 Rounds of CCI AR 22
Also bought 3 boxes of each of the following to try in the 223 bolt action:Aguila, MFS, Armscor USA, PMC Bronze.
Cant wait to go to the range once I feel better.

Although I find it hard to believe they actually list mini mags in the owners manual. Although from what i have learned about the sig is it comes with a recoil spring installed from the factory for HV loads and a extra spring for SV loads.

also note that what one manufacture calls HV can be different from another. one company can call thier 1100fps HV while another might run 1250, 1325 ect

I found this funny and I just noticed this after checking out my friends MP AR 22 a factory recomendation on what not to use

you would be wrong,

011.jpg

and you probably haven't tried the new turds. they're fine except for the fact they wanna charge $9.99 per 100.

you would be wrong,

011.jpg

and you probably haven't tried the new turds. they're fine except for the fact they wanna charge $9.99 per 100.

Awesome...love new info. I agree at 10$ 100 for golden turd I rather just buy CCI.
Remington ammo has been such a let down for me in the past I gave up.
I have some 70s vintage steel cased crap I rather shooot

Sadly my experience and subsequent belief is the factory decided to give you two recoil springs because the factory could not get the gun to run reliability either. I really wanted to love the mosquito, but after countless hours, and dozens of spring and ammo and magazine combo's I got tired of attempting to get it to run reliability.... Bought a Ruger SR22 and it eats everything I commonly use...

Last edited:

Wow, never saw that S&W recommendation again the Golden Bullets, but I've fed mine an almost exclusive diet of those as I had more of those stocked than anything else. They've always ran flawlessly in my rig, with the exception of the occasional dud round that is to be expected with most any bulk .22s.

...I just noticed this after checking out my friends MP AR 22 a factory recomendation on what not to use
[snip]

1-80.

Dang.

Nothing beats the pleasure of doing business with a company so old that they were in on the ground floor when Alexander Graham Bell handed out phone numbers.

tumblr_kw4eqwmOEY1qzfipuo1_400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom