CCI 22 amo

What is up with CCI ammo?
We use the CCI quiet-22 segmented in our bolt action 22 for fun.
It is quiet so the neighbors don’t get excited and is easier to use than a break barrel pellet gun.
I went to order another 1,000 rounds and everyone is out of stock with no no option to back order.
Even the CCI web site gives little info..
Anyone know what is going on?

Are there any alternatives that are quiet ?

I went to order another 1,000 rounds and everyone is out of stock with no no option to back order.
I'm not sure, but I have heard there might be a pandemic going on. There's unconfirmed rumors of panic buying as well.
Just watercooler talk right now, though, the news is quiet on the matter...

[troll]

What is up with CCI ammo?
We use the CCI quiet-22 segmented in our bolt action 22 for fun.
It is quiet so the neighbors don’t get excited and is easier to use than a break barrel pellet gun.

Global pandemic panic buying blah blah blah.

Seriously though, I prefer these to CCI quiet. Aguila Subsonic solid point and the very best Eley 38gr subs.

Theres 22 ammo out there just have to poke around. You might not like the prices or the shipping wait times
Best thing to do is get on notification notice from your vendors

Another problem is the quiets are probably a short production run so its not a constant supply like CCI SV.

So when supplies are back to normal by a 5000 round case min.

Last edited:
I've never shot CCI Quiet 22's, however, if you're looking to do some backyard plinking this is a great in stock option. The Aguila Colibri round has only a strong primer and no powder, so they make almost no noise. The Super Colibri has minimal powder and a little more power than the regular Colibri so it's better for rifles/longer barrels. They both won't cycle through an auto but they're great in a bolt action or revolver. I shoot both through a Henry .22 lever action with no problems.

Colibri: Aguila Colibri 22 Long Rifle Ammo 20 Grain Solid Point

Super Colibri: Aguila Super Colibri Ammo 22 Long Rifle 20 Grain LSP

Last edited:
Even during non-flugaloo times, quiets can be hard to find. The Aguila is Sonics are good as well as gemtech if you’re looking for alternatives. I’ll check if I have any left since I owe you!

I’m going to throw a question out there that might hijack this thread. But let’s be honest, it’s a thread that needs to be hijacked. I’ve got some 22LR for my 10/22 that is 40 grain, some that’s 30 grain and some that’s in the 20’s. I noticed CCI gives word labels to their rounds-“target/plinking,” “varmint,” “small game.”
Is there truly a difference between these? I’m a bit of a 22LR noob (obviously). I’ve done some googling and I understand that the grain refers to the size of the bullet not the powder (I was surprised by that). But the target/plinking ammo is 40 and the varmint one is less than that. I would’ve thought it’d be the opposite. Will the target/plinking one work well on small animals too? Looking for any feedback folks can throw out there.

CCI quiet segmented is my go to for quiet backyard shooting out of a bolt or a lever. I got 5k rounds about a year ago and glad I did!

I grabbed 5k of CCI mini mags last fall just because, that I split with another NES'r. Sure glad I did that. Got a case of 9mm blazer brass and a couple of cases of other handgun gun carry ammo, for the same reason. Sure glad I did that too because I sure can't do it again now.

I’m going to throw a question out there that might hijack this thread. But let’s be honest, it’s a thread that needs to be hijacked. I’ve got some 22LR for my 10/22 that is 40 grain, some that’s 30 grain and some that’s in the 20’s. I noticed CCI gives word labels to their rounds-“target/plinking,” “varmint,” “small game.”
Is there truly a difference between these? I’m a bit of a 22LR noob (obviously). I’ve done some googling and I understand that the grain refers to the size of the bullet not the powder (I was surprised by that). But the target/plinking ammo is 40 and the varmint one is less than that. I would’ve thought it’d be the opposite. Will the target/plinking one work well on small animals too? Looking for any feedback folks can throw out there.
So, 40gn is typically for plinking and 36gn hollow point is typically hunting/small game, but nearly all of it is interchangeable.
The biggest factor with .22 rimfire is will it feed/fire/eject in your firearm (semi-auto having the biggest demand on compatibility)

.22 ammo has the widest range of idiosyncrasies of any ammo, at any time, in the history of its manufacture.
Volumes of data/facts/opinions/wives tails could fill the Boston Public Library

It is also one of the funnest rounds you will ever love...
~Enbloc

I've used the CCI .22 Short CB caps, the report is quieter than popping a balloon.
I use these for controlling the rodent/squirrel population in my back yard. I sit on my deck that’s a dozen feet over the yard...I can see all.

I like the CCI blue tips. Noticeably quieter than most standard velocity out of the 617.
I'm told (but haven't tried it out yet) that Eley Contact is fairly quiet, or as quiet as the CCI blue tips.

My son uses quiet bullets and likes them a lot. He also uses Colibri and Super Colibri which are even quieter but not as accurate. I use target shorts.

It may be related to this also...

I like the CCI blue tips. Noticeably quieter than most standard velocity out of the 617.
I'm told (but haven't tried it out yet) that Eley Contact is fairly quiet, or as quiet as the CCI blue tips.
Contact seems to be about 300 fps faster than Quiet with a 42 grain non segmented bullet. Eley does make a version of the quiet but it seems to have the same specs for bullet and velocity as contact... in any case, go here for more information:
They are an Eley distributor and have all the cool stuff needed for serious .22 shooting...

I have been using the CCI quiet .22 for a while in a bolt gun and a Henry lever rifle, but just started to use the CCI Quiet-.22 semi auto in my Ruger 10/22. The standard Quiets are much cheaper than the segmented version. I stocked up on the standard Quiet round (710 fps), but just started using the Semi Auto version (840 fps) and only have 1 brick left.

Are the CCI quiets much quieter then the CCI standard velocity which usually always stays sub sonic? Edit to add, in a suppressed firearm.

Back
Top Bottom