• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CC without ID?

I understand that there is no statutory requirement in NH to carry your P&R License with you while carrying a concealed pistol, but is there any guidance on whether or not you need ID?

From my own reading of the RSAs, it seems like there's no requirement. But when I read through the AG's law-enforcement manual, I found nothing about it.

Anyone know what SOP would be if a cop found your weapon during a Terry stop, but you couldn't provide your ID or P&R?

In theory they could call over to the issuing department and ask if you were licensed.

How you could satisfactorily establish your identity to his/her satisfaction is up to them.

Because I like being free without having to always keep my papers in order?

Specifically, I was thinking about early-morning jogs. I prefer not to take my wallet, and driver's licenses like to bounce out of pockets.

and the gun won't?

if you can cc, you should have ID. not for the gov... what if something happened to you? at least write your name on your chest with a sharpie.

PS: they make arm bands that hold ID and a credit card or two.

Seems like a good way to convert a minor incident into a major headache for all involved.

Klaus said:
Open Carry.

and the gun won't?

if you can cc, you should have ID. not for the gov... what if something happened to you? at least write your name on your chest with a sharpie.

PS: they make arm bands that hold ID and a credit card or two.

Sorry, I thought I posted this question in the NH Gun Laws subforum, not the 'I'd like help with a logistical issue of keeping track of extra things I don't really need but people think I should have' subforum.

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm really looking for advice on the question I asked. It has other applications too; non-drivers may appreciate not having to keep paying an extra fee to the state for needless ID cards.

The crux of the question is whether the onus is on me to show I'm licensed, or on the cop to show I'm not. Does possession of a concealed firearm constitute probable cause to arrest for unlicensed carry? If it doesn't, then it would seem that the answer is no, you don't need ID.

I don't see anything in the RSAs stating you need to carry the license.

That said, I would suggest that carrying under conditions that require the license (eg, concealed, or in a motor vehicle) and not having the license on your person, is an act of stupidity. Good luck proving you're not breaking the law without having that license in hand.

-Mike

That said, I would suggest that carrying under conditions that require the license (eg, concealed, or in a motor vehicle) and not having the license on your person, is an act of stupidity. Good luck proving you're not breaking the law without having that license in hand.

-Mike

I disagree. There is no legal requirement in NH to have your license or a copy of said license on your person when carrying. Why should you try to meet a requirement that doesn't exist?

The proof that you're not "breaking the law" resides with the LEO. He can verify your license with some research.

As to the OP's question, not having ID on you would only be an issue if a cop insisted on verifying your identity so he could then verify your pistol permit. But since there's no requirement, it shouldn't be an issue.

well I know I saw a video with Dave Riddley OCing and refusing to provide actual paper ID, I guess it would depend on what your time was worth, if it is worth the aggravation and you have an attorney that would back you up have at it.

Specifically, I was thinking about early-morning jogs. I prefer not to take my wallet, and driver's licenses like to bounce out of pockets.

Klaus,

I have several lanyard type wallets that are worn around the neck that are designed for jogging and other events. PM me with your address and I will be happy to send you one gratis. I can't see why you wouldn't carry your license as all you are doing is potentially creating hassles for yourself and potentially bringing undue attention to yourself. Of course, since you live in NH you can always open carry.

If you want to make a point, go ahead...your choice...but I am offering you an alternative...

Perhaps you should ask a lawyer, preferably the one you'll call when you need someone to get you out of jail for carrying without a license. The statute says nothing more than you must be licensed, there is not requirement to carry it on your person, have additional ID to back it up, or notify an officer you're carrying. You're going to get a lot of different opinions about which of the previous 3 things you should do anyway.

Ironically the firearm lawyer Penny Dean had a similar incident you mention, she was carrying her P&R License but no photo ID. It did cost her some time during the stop and that is the best outcome of the situation. If she didn't have a valid P&R License on her person, I wouldn't have been surprised if there was a detention until it could be verified she was licensed. Some people suggest "they can always call the PD and verify" but if you're in a one cop town that's easier said than done and who wants to spend a night in custody to verify something like that?

http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/05/08/19/guest_penny.htm

Write your license # on the back of what ever holster your using?

That's not a bad idea. Alternatively, you could tape a reduced copy of your license to the holster. It's kind of like people who keep copies of NFA paperwork with their NFA items.

heh.

images

I don't carry the "original" folded paper at all,they gave me a shrunk down credit card size copy that I try and carry if I am going out of town. I often (in the woods hunting-walking dogs-dump run)carrying without any CC license-or any id again unless I am driving out of town.That said I live in a small town and everyone knows everyone.
Has there ever been a case where someone was prosecuted for not having it on them when carrying ?

Heck, even the police here in Brookline told me just keep the license in the truck so it won't get ruined in my wallet. Go figure, common sense in use (ie exercising a fundamental right isn't dependent on keeping a sacred piece of paper on you).

Back
Top Bottom