• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CC in police station?

Let's say the police station is posted. I'd be willing to bet large sums of money that they'd consider it a "posted govt building" which makes it prohibited and successfully jam up anyone found carrying there.

There is no legal status to a "posted government building". In a courthouse, the offense would probably be violation of a court order. In another building (statehouse, for example), it would be a creative exercise to find ANY statute that someone who walked though the metal detector with a gun was violating. All references to suitability incorporated herein by reference.

Yes, I was well known at the Fitchburg PO for being "that guy that gets bullets in the mail." [rofl]

-Mike

I get bullets in the mail. I also get baby chicks in the mail. The thing is, when you get baby chicks in the mail that arrive at 4:30 am at the Worcester Post Office, The post master calls, and asks, "when can you get those chirping chicks out of my G&^@*&@^* Post office!!!!!!" He was actually nice about it. He said they sounded hungry and would appreciate it if I came and got them as quickly as possible.

Yes, I'm sorry for totally derailing the thread, but I'm known as the guy who gets chicks in the mail.

I get bullets in the mail. I also get baby chicks in the mail. The thing is, when you get baby chicks in the mail that arrive at 4:30 am at the Worcester Post Office, The post master calls, and asks, "when can you get those chirping chicks out of my G&^@*&@^* Post office!!!!!!" He was actually nice about it. He said they sounded hungry and would appreciate it if I came and got them as quickly as possible.

Yes, I'm sorry for totally derailing the thread, but I'm known as the guy who gets chicks in the mail.

Yep, I used to get those calls when my packages of bees would arrive at the PO.

So...are these the Russian Brides that they have on the internet?

[laugh]

I've actually purchased ftf from an officer and met him at his desk at the station. Did the transaction, loaded it up and stuffed it in my pants before walking out. No problems!

Wow. You got special treatment. I was sitting inside the interrogation room. We filled up the paper FA10 and fondle the pistol for a while. After signing paperwork, I closed the caring case and walk out. Smooth transaction. [wink]

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

There is no legal status to a "posted government building". In a courthouse, the offense would probably be violation of a court order. In another building (statehouse, for example), it would be a creative exercise to find ANY statute that someone who walked though the metal detector with a gun was violating. All references to suitability incorporated herein by reference.

No such law in MA. Fail.

That's interesting. I got that info in the safety class. It was taught by a guy who I'd really expect to be in the know because he's heavily involved in the gun rights fight. He used a powerpoint presentation and in the slide explaining prohibited places he had a bullet point stating "Posted Government Buildings" and he cited Boston City Hall as an example.

When I first moved to MA, I got my LTC fairly quickly. I had a couple of guns to sell. I didn't want to meet the guy at my home, and since I was still in the process of joining a club, I called the Arlington PD.

I spoke to a real gentleman of an officer. His last name was either Heatherman or Heatherington. I asked him if I could transfer a gun in the PD lobby. I told him the gun would be cased, with a chamber flag in it and that neither of us would handle the gun. I would simply open the case, show it to the buyer, and close the case.

He thought that would be fine. If memory serves me right he told me he would be at the front desk until 4.

I got there about 3:30 and met the guy. Unfortunately Heatherman had left and when I opened the case revealing a nice like new Glock 34, the punk ass kid working the desk just about freaked out. He asked what I was doing in his best command tone. I told him I had run it by Heatherman and had gotten his approval.

Then the guy (from behind his 4 inches of bulletproof glass) explained to me that I was a threat to him and needed to put a trigger lock on the gun. So rather than just closing the case, I had to then HANDLE the gun and remove the chamber flag so I could put a trigger lock on it. IDIOT.

A good time was had by all.

I mentioned this to another Arlington cop that I know and he laughed. He commented that most of the young guys have never seen or fired a gun prior to the academy. They aren't "gun guys". Sad.

I recently asked another Arlington cop I'm acquainted with how Heatherman was. "Retired" he answered.

Too bad.

Don

@Rob Boudrie... Rob, i need a clarification then on the subject. Renewing non resident at DCJIS, letter specifically states NOT to bring guns in the building. Moreover, as this was never checked before, NOW there is a metal detector at the entrance. I leave mine in the truck safe, but have mags with me. Had to take rounds out of the mags and put them in envelopes provided :), also did the same with my knife and multitool :) AFAIK in RI one cannot bring firearm in any government building, although I can be on the "grounds" with CCW. Was told by RI DEM that I can carry in any state park or management area, but buildings are off limits, i e take a piss outside. :)

FWIW
I teach my BFS courses at my local PD, not only Do I CC and OC there, but I usually bring in long guns too.
When I was getting my NV Non Res permit, I had to OC into the Sheriffs office to get photographed for my CC permit. [grin]

I've open carried into the Old Saybrook Police Dept to pick up an applicaton for a CT pistol permit. The guy didn't even notice.

My friend and co-director at CT Carry Richard Burgess open carried into the Old Saybrook PD to file a FOIA request for info relating to his detention for open carrying in the Old Saybrook Starbucks. The guy tried to get him to provide ID. Rich refused and left. There is audio of this somewhere. I'll try to find it.

Don

haha---"one more thing- I need to see your pistol permit" "NO YOU DON'T" straight out of star wars--these are not the droids you're looking for

walk in and announce to the guy at the desk "i have a gun and I know how to use it!"

you know, in the interest of full disclosure.

FIFY

Given the focus on mandatory training it is clear to me that they value the fact you are skilled and trained in its use.

Also, you don't want to hear "just" the word gun, so make the declaration in a loud and clear voice as you enter the lobby. Repeat if one of the police officers looks at you quizzically and asks what you just said.

He used a powerpoint presentation and in the slide explaining prohibited places he had a bullet point stating "Posted Government Buildings" and he cited Boston City Hall as an example.
He was correct, however, there are multiple definitions of prohibited - "prohibited by state law", "prohibited by federal law"; "prohibited by judicial order"; "prohibited by rule/policy"; and "prohibited by CMR".

Many instructors don't bother to differentiate between the multiple types of prohibition.

He was correct, however, there are multiple definitions of prohibited - "prohibited by state law", "prohibited by federal law"; "prohibited by judicial order"; "prohibited by rule/policy"; and "prohibited by CMR".

Many instructors don't bother to differentiate between the multiple types of prohibition.

Rob,
In my class, I differentiate between State, Federal, and property owner's rule/policy.

Can you give me an example of prohibited by judicial order? I'm trying to understand better.

By CMR, do you mean code of Mass Regulations? Do things like a prohibition on carrying in a state forest while hunting fall under that area?

Thanks,

Don

Rob,
In my class, I differentiate between State, Federal, and property owner's rule/policy.

Can you give me an example of prohibited by judicial order? I'm trying to understand better.

By CMR, do you mean code of Mass Regulations? Do things like a prohibition on carrying in a state forest while hunting fall under that area?

Thanks,

Don

Judicial Order - carrying in courthouses.

Carrying while hunting is a C. 131 hunting law prohibition.

Back
Top Bottom