1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

CC compromised

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PennyPincher, Oct 2, 2019.

1. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

Last week I was traveling. I ALWAYS use a CC for gas purchases. Not only do I get 4% back on that but it's one of the most likely places to have your card compromised. Thankfully, it's the one account we have where we actually have 2 different card numbers - 1 for him and 1 for me.

I went to Guadalupe Mountains last week, ended up with what I believe to be altitude sickness and left after less than 24 hours. I took 2 days to drive all the way home (8 hours drive) as I felt like crap the first day and left late in the day with a headache. I had stopped to get gas and use the ladies room. I didn't really need gas so when the pump wouldn't authorize my card (it looked like it got "hung up") I went inside, made sure there was no charge or hold and decided "screw it" I can get gas later. An hour or so later I actually stopped, filled up no problem and got a room for the night. Haven't had any issues with the card.

So today I go to see what type of "damage" my trip last week cost and I see 3 small charges - 1 from IN, 1 from OH, and 1 from something called Elsie Ridge US. I contacted the CC company and they have already sent off a replacement card as I am traveling again next week. They also took those charges off.

Be vigilant. Don't use debit cards at gas pumps or anywhere you don't control the card.

xtry51 and Choctaw like this.
  2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Short of them putting a fake reader on the pump, it's near impossible to get your card stolen at a gas station. It's a swipe and pretty secure. Unless it's like Bubba's Gas or something.

The biggest places to get cards stolen are restaurants and hotels. These are places where they physically HOLD your card. Read the 3-digit code on the back. Yada yada.

But yeah, don't use your debit card as a pay card. I know plenty do and the likes of Dave Ramsey profess it. But one compromised card and you could be out $ in your bank for days to weeks.

ReluctantDecoy likes this.
  3. VetteGirlMA

VetteGirlMA NES Member

I learned my lesson long ago about using debit cards. Use a credit card instead. I have a credit union card with really good benefits and I use that when I want to pay for things. I barely break out my debit card.

4. meh

meh NES Member

My experience supports this advice. I used one just 3 or 4 times in order to get a cash bonus they promised me. That was all it took. It ended up being compensation for the time I spent researching CC fraud against the account. I had to do the work. The customer service sucked with the Debit Visa card with this vendor (was IMG Direct, since sold to CapitalOne). The experience was so dramatically different from fraud on a normal CC, that I swore off ever using an ATM card to pay for anything. That little CC logo on it means nothing to me.

5. zboys

zboys NES Member

Shoulda used cash lol

Grendizer138 likes this.
  6. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

I wish my bank didn't even give me a debit card. Years ago, I had to specially request just an ATM card, and they would send me one, but now they no longer do that.

I have my CC's setup so that every time they get a charge, I either get a text or an alert.

EMTDAD and Sauer Grapes like this.
  7. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

Yes. Jack.

Grendizer138 likes this.
  8. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

My credit card has been compromised at least five times over the past few years. I've always gotten a replacement within two days and never paid anything. What I find curious is that they will sometimes call me to see if I used my card a few hundred miles from home, but ignore charges in Croatia and Atlanta in the same day.

9. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

AMEX sends a text alert everytime a charge is made without the card being present. You can tweak the alerts a bit.

KVX likes this.
  10. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i never use a debit card anywhere but at my bank's atm....and even then i am vigilant that the atm has not been modified/hacked.

credit cards are OK for gas stations....NOT debit cards.

11. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

Threadjack:

Bank of America used to have a great feature to create a unique credit card number to use for online transactions.
    It took about one minute to use.
    It was called ShopSafe.

It was great because the credit card number has an amount that you can choose and only works for one vendor.
    It can't be comprised.

Well, starting this month they no longer offer this feature.

They have forced me to use my real credit card number for all transactions.

They claim that they no longer need ShopSafe because they are SO secure.

Meanwhile, the next time my card get compromised, I'll have to reset all my accounts to a new card number.
    Bank of America sucks.

Not only will I be spending so much time to fix their problems, but they will be losing money to fraud, too.

This was a great feature to prevent fraud and they are shooting themselves in the foot.

DarkNet likes this.
  12. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

went to Philly in August.. stayed in Jersey where we filled up... In Jersey, you can't pump your own gas, so I had to hand the attendant my CC. A week later we get notified that someone had made reservations in Myrtle Beach, Cancun, and one other place with my card.

13. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

Capital One still offers a temp/one time use number for online purchases. I think Discover does too, but I haven't had a Discover card in years.

strangenh likes this.
  14. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Here in SW Florida, CC skimmers on pumps are an epidemic. Not a week goes by that some MAJOR station doesn't get found with one or more.

They have a whole section of the Sheriff's Dept down here that just checks gas pumps for skimmers.

They even made it a law that pumps had to be upgraded to prevent skimming devices from being attached, but the technology gets better every month...

Lee County gas pump skimmer inspections start Tuesday

Lee Sheriff verifies gas pumps comply with anti-skimmer effort with compliance stickers

15. teaser452

teaser452

My neighbor recently returned to her home town in Michigan. While driving back, her debit card got nabbed. Lost 800 bucks. Never gettin that 800 bucks back.

Don’t use debit cards. Simple solution.

16. Coda

Coda NES Member

I average about one credit card hack a year, I have accepted it at this point as a fact of life. I try to be careful, never let it out of my sight, but I also do a lot of online purchases so not many options there.

You really need two cards these days, especially if you travel. You get the replacement card in a few days but being without a credit card really sucks if you are traveling.

You noticing a few small fraudulent charges at first is typical. What these thieves do is test the waters to see if a few small charges will go through, than wham, they make a major high dollar purchase. The only good news is that it is not difficult for the CC Company to figure out which charges are fraudulent and you will not be responsible for those. So directly it is not going to cost you any money. But indirectly these hacks cost ALL of us who are CC customers in the form of higher fees and interest rates.

So keep a very close eye on any future statements and if anything looks suspicious contact the CC Company immediately. And I am sorry to sound pessimistic but now that you have been hacked once it is only a matter of time before it happens again.

17. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

Why all this CC shit? carry and use cash for everything and never have a problem. Jack.

18. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

I get 2-3 percent cash back depending on what I charge. Over the years, Ive gotten back over 6 thousand dollars to date from those charges. I just put 250 dollars in my account yesterday. Cha ching!

Everytime ive ever had CC fraud its been quickly taken care of at zero expense to me.

I never ever pay interest, ever. Its used just like cash, but eveything I buy is 2-3% cheaper than cash.

I have another air card that i use for large work expenses. I get at least two free rt flights a year for using it with the rewards.

Why wouldnt I use a CC?

Debit, I have one and to get 3 percent interest I have to use it 15 times a month. I use it for lunch in town and small local charges or groceries. I check that account daily. So far its been ok for years.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    PennyPincher and KVX like this.
  19. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Unless you get pulled over and called a terrorist for having cash and a gun. OMG, THINK OF THE KIDS!!!

20. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

If you're actually averaging "one a year" either your card provider has some serious security problems or you're handing your
    card over to some dishonest people along the way.... or you go to gas stations that are sketchy as hell and getting skimmed.

It's probably not the online stuff, as strange as that sounds, although 15-20 years ago site break ins with CC # dumps were far more
    common than they are now.

Definitely, if anything because of the inconvenience of an accidental fraud lock or whatever. Sometimes even using a gas pump incorrectly can trigger it.

-Mike

21. boatman

boatman

Which is why in Europe they bring the CC machine to your table. You never lose sight of the card. And they actually use the PIN part of the chip and pin. Would be so simple for them to do this here and increase security.

My problem with getting a new CC is that I have so many accounts on autopay that you have to look thru a few months of statements to remember which ones to put the new card # to.

22. Dench

Dench

While you shouldnt ever use debit outside of a trusted ATM, you can retrieve stolen ATM card withdrawals.

Lost or Stolen Credit, ATM, and Debit Cards

23. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

4% back on my gas purchases. and I use it when traveling, buying large items, buying online (where I save money on items I would already be buying) or renting cars as you get extra protection and easier returns.

ETA: We actually have other cards, we just don't carry them or use them but we could. I just prefer to only have 1 account to keep track of.

24. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

I actually never use my debit card at any ATMs. I also never get "cash back" when I make a purchase. My debit card gets me 4% on my checking account on daily balances up to $40k with 16? debit card purchases per month. So yeah, the dry cleaner and grocery stores I use my debit card.

25. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Glad you caught it, and it was quick and painless! I

I've never had a debit card, and never will. Some charges on my card are way less stressful than money missing from my checking account!

I've only had two issues with fraudulent charges in all the years of online purchases. One I'm not sure what happened, and the second was my wife getting scammed buying something from a company on Myface last year.

26. Coda

Coda NES Member

I know but this is with different providers, and I NEVER let the card out of my sight.

You may be on to something with the skimmers though, I buy all of my gas with CC. Maybe I should go back to cash because I always carry cash on me, I just hate having to wait for all the people in front of me that are buying cigarettes and lottery tickets.

27. strangenh

strangenh NES Member

GOOD INFO.

Add to that list Citi. There are a few places that offer it out there. So, Reptile, just jump ship.

BoA inherited their virtual card system when they bought MBNA. It was implemented as a Flash app, apparently all the way through this discontinuation. I guess they didn't want to rewrite it in Java or anything else. From what I understand it never worked great - as in, if a virtual card was compromised, they still would replace the primary one. Stupid given the point of such systems is not "fraud protection" but "crap, another card replacement" PITA insulation.

Mike - the physical card compromise is indeed less common but banks will reissue when a card was used anywhere that got popped. Mostly that is online use but a lot of those physical card uses are still stripe readers with a backend database.

drgrant likes this.
  28. drgrant

I buy gas like 3-5 times a week and strangely I've never been skimmed at a pump, but I'm usually somewhat picky about what gas stations I use, too. Most of them at least have maintenance seals on the doors on the pumps now, if you go to a gas station and you don't see tamper seals on the pump anywhere, that's not a clear sign of a skimmer, but if they're not willing to put tamper seals on it then I doubt they're paying much attention to security, as a generality. I also pay attention to the thing you put the card into. If it's a plastic housing portruding from the machine, criminals make skimmers that will literally piggyback on the existing housing... although the "better" skimmers live inside the pump, the piggyback ones are easier for bad guys to install.

Do you eat at a lot of the same places and use the cards at those places?

There's likely something in your pattern of buying that's tripping this off.

-Mike

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  29. drgrant

Yeah, I was thinking "leaky ecommerce platforms etc". like those data dumps of CC numbers etc. I think most of the fraud now though is probably based off
    skimmers, as well as phishing scams etc.

One thing I don't know why the CC companies don't do, is 2-factor every purchase, maybe not require approval for processing, but alert the customer of the latest charge (ignoring autopays marked by the customer) so the customer can say "yes this was me" or "no please block" etc. This would probably ramp up detection as well as
    improve heuristics, and decrease false positives in fraud blocking.

-Mike

30. strangenh

strangenh NES Member

Some of them let you do that. Not true 2-factor but alerts on every transaction. Then I guess you act to go "nope" but it's still "Ok, new card for you!" time.