CBPO Questions

johnnylc3470

NES Member
Hi Everyone,
I tried searching around but couldn't find much info. I have a cousin that is in the process of pursuing a job as a CBPO. He took the exam and and is now getting emails to schedule his medical and background investigation, etc. He is looking at giving up a great job to pursue so I thought I would ask some questions that he doesn't seem to want to ask:

1. The pay- It looks like he would start somewhere in the $40k area according to the job posting but people online say he will make much more than that when you factor in cost of living, nights, OT, etc. Is that the case? I think he would start at a GS5 level

2. The academy - What is it like? I have heard that its similar to police academy but without all the head games and ball busting.

3. What is the job like? he would be in Boston

4. Are there any great perks to being a Fed LEO

Thanks for any responses

Who told you it's not as bad as the police academy? I've heard it's far worse...plus theres a lie detector test.

I know a guy that was a CBPO for a while and then became a local cop. He said the Fed Academy was much easier than the local academy. Although this was 15 or so years ago so things may have changed

Academy- Not bad. Think of it as kind of college on steroids. PT, shooting , defensive tactics. About 1/2 classroom and 1/2 physical / practical. If your in decent shape and pay attention in class won't be an issue. Definitely NOT hard core
14 weeks at FLETC in Glynco, GA. Gets old after a while.

Pay- automatic yearly increases until you get to GS12. GS12 in BOS is $80,000. Plus OT, Sunday pay and night dif. 6 figures is doable.

Benefits- same LEO benefits as every other LEO in the G. TSP (401k), vacation, retirement etc

Job is based on seniority. Starting out, you WILL work nights, weekends, holidays. You WILL be low man on the totem pole.

There is a CBPO board on Delphiforums with loads of info......

On cable, look at "Border Wars" and "To Catch a Smuggler" on Nat GEO. A decent look at what the job is

Hi Everyone,
I tried searching around but couldn't find much info. I have a cousin that is in the process of pursuing a job as a CBPO. He took the exam and and is now getting emails to schedule his medical and background investigation, etc. He is looking at giving up a great job to pursue so I thought I would ask some questions that he doesn't seem to want to ask:

1. The pay- It looks like he would start somewhere in the $40k area according to the job posting but people online say he will make much more than that when you factor in cost of living, nights, OT, etc. Is that the case? I think he would start at a GS5 level

2. The academy - What is it like? I have heard that its similar to police academy but without all the head games and ball busting.

Thanks for any responses

1. Depends on where he's working, some POE's have tons of OT, some have none. Some are M-F, some are 24/7. $100k a year isn't out of the ordinary. OFO gets real OT and double time, some decent alternative work schedules like 4 10 hour days, again, depending on the POE. Pretty sure the COLA for Boston is pretty high, maybe in the 20+% range.

2. It's not the Border Patrol academy of olden times. I was told they used to run 100 miles a day with 50 lb rucks, us new guys (almost 20 years in) had it so much easier. Eyes and ears open, mouth shut unless you have a legit question and you'll get through.

3. Boston Logan or is there a port? Airport is standing in a booth stamping passports. Ports have some interesting stuff, f'ing YUGE drug seizures, interesting seizures from weird animals to full on aircraft/large vehicles. A few years ago someone tried to import a Mig 15. When they cracked open the crates, it was fully armed with 6? cannon/machine guns. I know a guy who caught a muckity muck all you can eat snack bar type.

Meh, you can retire at 50 if you have 20 years in. I'm going at 50 with 21 years and do something else. Only real perk is the additional couple of points towards your retirement for first 20 years over a non-LEO. People think you're awesome sometimes because you bring cool toys to situations. Downside is when the next dimocrat get's elected.

The biggest downside to being a Fed LEO is the viewpoint of what is going on in this country. Big ticket items that 99% of the people never notice. Oh yeah, and coming here and getting lambasted for being a JBT of the highest order.

LOL. Yup, don't be the guy at the academy that asks the hypothetical "what if" questions.

There is really only one port in Boston proper. The seaport and the airport draw from the same pool of employees. May change in the future, but not now.....

LOL. Yup, don't be the guy at the academy that asks the hypothetical "what if" questions.

There is really only one port in Boston proper. The seaport and the airport draw from the same pool of employees. May change in the future, but not now.....

That could be a good thing, get tired of checking containers, go look at people going on vacation.

Another side note of working federal, details to all kinds of places. There are OFO officers in France, Spain, all over the world doing pre-clearance. I'm actually tempted to put in for a France or Germany gig now that I don't own a house. They sometimes let the 'unclean' side of the house go play. I think it would be cool for the kids to spend a year or two overseas.

Another side note of working federal, details to all kinds of places. There are OFO officers in France, Spain, all over the world doing pre-clearance. I'm actually tempted to put in for a France or Germany gig now that I don't own a house. They sometimes let the 'unclean' side of the house go play. I think it would be cool for the kids to spend a year or two overseas.

Pre-cleared in Dublin a few years back. FWIW, the customs guy that checked our passports was from Chicago and sounded like he was having a great time living in Ireland (we asked him about his gig).

Thanks for all the feedback. Like I said, he has a great job now making probably $150k a year, no nights or weekends. I guess it will be up to him if he wants to give that all up

One last crack at OFO, tell him to stand in his closet and have his wife walk up every 30 seconds and hand him a greeting card. Heyooo, I'm here all week folks.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for any responses

Great job with great pay. Live in VT and live like a king... Academy is a breeze. Perks to FED LEO? Not really much more than locals but you can move all over the US and around the world if you like....

Is there anyone that could provide some insight. Applied to BOS, completed SI, Fitness, but dinged on medical for vision uncorrected. Its less than 20/100. 20/20 corrected with glasses. Got a vision acuity form....is there a chance i will get cleared even if i dont meet this req. Any help would be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom