CB Radios

A dummy load has very low SWR across LOTS of channels, but it doesn't get very far. .. [grin]

good to know. i'm not going to deny that i'm a newb to radios. I did however, try the skipshooter on good recommendation from some pretty knowledgeable folks. I had tried a Firestick, a Wilson (Fibreglass), and the skipshooter. The skipshooter did perform the best overall with decent range and better ears. I 'did' think that antenna efficiency had to do with low SWR but, as you can see, I have more learning to do.

I was out a bit ago and tried shouting to Coyote....will try again later.

Guys, any feedback on Cobra HH 38 WX ST? My Uniden died and I need a replacement. I almost exclusively use CBs for 4wheeling. I also have 2 Midland GXT 1000 that I take on road trips to stay in touch between vehicles or if we split in the woods/park/etc. 38 WX ST sure seems larger and heavier than GXT1000, but it might be worth it. This way I only have 1 set of equipment and can sell everything else. How is the range on 38 WX ST without the external antenna? How is quality? Are there better/other hand-helds I should be considering? Would you keep GXT1000 or switch? Thanks.

I have an old midland - think 1970s model for sale as well as a newer Cobra - I'll be putting that in the yard sale section soon.

if you are good with PLL tables it is real easy to illegally modify your CB to go above channel 40, away from the "good buddy's" and where you can get some real use out of it without being "stepped on"

Back "in the day" when the PLL02A chip was used in just about every CB made, cutting the foil on pin 10 and using the PA/CB switch to make it a logic 1 instead of a logic 0 would yield a bunch of extra frequencies that are actually in the business band right above the CB allocation. There was a certain local taxi company on 27.450 that we would screw with for fun by waking up sleeping cabbies at the cab stand in "the square" by saying their car number after we went by... "car 10" for example would wake the guy up, and he and the dispatcher would go back and forth about who called who.

I'll put on the walkie talkie again tonight and tomorrow at various times if you feel like chatting.

Back
Top Bottom