• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cause of Jeep Wrangler 'death wobble' found, automaker says, promising free fix

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
A properly tuned and maintained jeep will take you to the very limited places reachable by small I wheeled vehicles..
FFY.

We always had an M113A1 on call to pull the M151’s out of ditches when it rained or snowed. 6x6 trucks were better but certainly not very maneuverable.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll update my earlier post about my solid axle Bronco's death wobble. I put the new tires and dual stabilizer on, and it's all better now. I actually put the tires on first, and that cured the issue. Not the first time I've encountered that issue.

Years ago I was coming home from New England Dragway with my friend/boss. I was driving the F350 shortened wrecker that we shared, towing my 24' heavy ass steel 4 place snowmobile trailer with three sleds. There used to be a divot in the slow lane on 95S in Peabody, right between the merge with 128S and the Rt1 exits. So we hit that bump and it unloads the front end pretty good. When it comes back down it starts violently wobbling, and heading straight for the BDL. I remember calmly looking at him and saying "we're definitely gonna crash" I just barely got it slowed down enough to regain control as we were a few feet from the guard rail. Ended up being a belt shifting in the tire that caused that one.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Not everybody wishes to go to those places.
I was going to add "...like on the back of Zappa's truck?"

I like jeeps. Had a JK for a year and do miss it, but it was the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It was also the first vehicle I bought new.

My 4runner can do what the JK could stock, and tow a lot more weight. And it's faster.

I do think solid Axel's have their place.

Honestly, I prefer the 2000 Cherokee package.

Wobble is a multiple factor thing. This won't be more than a bandaid.

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
My 68 F-250 got it one time. Lay off the gas and use a pulsatingbraking action and it went away. My super duty is amst 5 years old and 21k miles on it. It is due to develop it soon.

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
When I had my Jeeps, from the Willys to the CJ's and the first generation Wrangler, it was common for people who added larger tires to use an aircraft style bubble balancer rather than the ones used for automotive. If I recall, the reason was specifically for the wobble.

BTW, none of us ran any kind of shock on the steering. We all felt it was for posers who just wanted big tires and didn't spend the time and effort to build the vehicle properly for the lift. Never had an issue with the wobble. Hod plenty of other issues, but not a wobble. Ever drive around with no rear shocks on the cart sprung vehicle? BOING! Ever drive with a front leaf spring mount busted off? Ever get a clogged PCV system and find yourself with no oil 20 miles off road? Oh the dumb things we did as kids that most kids would not have a clue today.

Top Bottom