• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Casting alloy and smelting Mega Thread

mac1911

NES Member
Thread about casting alloys and smelting.
Identification and uses.
Smelting methods, ID of alloys and smelting Questions

Lets try to keep it about alloy types and smelting

I will start with a pewter ID question.
I used to go to a small antique store with any pewter in question. Sadly she closed up shop a few weeks ago. I did get some scrap pewter and copper from her before she closed up.

Came across this piece. 3 candle holder nice piece but if its common mass produced stuff its going in the stash

Heres the proof marks 96247AB2-FBF2-4CDB-AF53-9887B443BE1C.jpeg

Yes, and copper and antimony. My wife hits up thrift stores and looks for me. She knows that anything that says pewter, other than Wilton, shoukd be good to go. That pic above of pewter was about $15. Not bad, not great. I also have some solder bar that I shave into the pot. Picked up a bar from @Chaparral66 at one of the casting seminars.

I usually keep my pewter in its natural form. Seems like guys prefer that and lino in it’s original state rather than ingots. Of course their reasoning is silly.
They say it’s for resale value. I don’t think I know one lead junkie that’s ever sold any though 😂😂

I hAve a fair amount of soft lead and that's ok for pistol plinking and sub sonic loads. I'd like to load some sub sonic 300BLK and maybe try some x39 subs.
Doubtful I get anywhere with that but I can try.

Beacon in Londonderry NH has 50-50 bar solder.

They also sell lead flashing.

I'm lazy and usually order alloy from Roto-Metals
Especially for my Match BPCR bullets.
It's a repeatable known alloy and casts the same weight bullet from lot to lot.

That being said, I will smelt my own for pistol and rifle bullets when I'm not driving 500 or more miles to a match.

I usually keep my pewter in its natural form. Seems like guys prefer that and lino in it’s original state rather than ingots. Of course their reasoning is silly.
They say it’s for resale value. I don’t think I know one lead junkie that’s ever sold any though 😂😂
Only two ways to part with alloy
Down the barrel or helping someone out

And you don't charge for help.

Only two ways to part with alloy
Down the barrel or helping someone out

And you don't charge for help.
Spot on. Like most things in this hobby were dragons sitting on our stockpiles. Until a friend needs some or we want to play dig dealer and give the first one free to some unsuspecting noob that has no clue what we’re dragging his poor life into 😂👍🏼

Back
Top Bottom