1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cast Iron Cooking - How many of you cook solely on cast iron cookware?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Squished, Dec 26, 2016.

1. daveyburt

daveyburt NES Member

Interesting. I have two 10". One Lodge, one old Wagner. I treat both of them the same and they get the same amount of use. The Lodge is chipping, the Wagner isn't. In my case I believe it was from over seasoning - maybe combined with the more rough surface of the Lodge.

2. Gidge

Gidge

After the 30 min @ 500⁰ F, I lower the oven to 180 ⁰ F for a minimum of 3 hours (you can let it go way longer than this, and your roast will still be tender and juicy, as the 30 mins. at high temp. has seared in the juices and the integrity of the roast). If you want more well done, after the roast rests 20 mins or so, I slice off pieces and throw them under the broiler until the desired wellness is achieved.

The thought of burnt rib roast makes me cringe, for this texture I would use an eye-round roast (a.k.a. poor-man's tenderloin) cooked in a Rotisserie Spit/Oven until the outside is blackened and crusty -- not as tender as the rib-eye, but that's not the point of a very well done roast. [smile]

3. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

Lead and other poison metal in enamel? I have a hand me down le creuset dutch oven. I made sausage and shrimp gumbo in it for new years eve. No wonder i had a headache the next morning.

4. grey

grey NES Member

Enamel and cast iron solves what problem exactly?

5. silversquirrel

Well, for me it solves the problem of holding all the ingedients for gumbo and other stews while they cook down, and simmer.
    It works better than the big stainless pot, especially browning stuff. Dunno why. Just does.
    And its yellow.

6. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

I make the gumbo in a stainless steel pot — I just make the roux in my cast iron pan because that does seem to brown better than the stainless steel.

silversquirrel likes this.
  7. silversquirrel

My big problem is I have a miele glass cooktop, that cycles on and off to control temp. The heavy lecreuset keeps an even heat. Browning is better, sweating down the veggies, and holds a nice even simmer.
    Ill cook the shrimp in a small pot, for a minute or two, let them cool enough to take off the shells, which go back in the shrimp water to boil down for shrimp stock that goes in the gumbo.
    The peeled shrimp go in the fridge, and i add them in before serving.

8. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I can’t begin to say how much I hate electric cooktops in any sort of cooking.
    Gas cooktops. Electric ovens.

Fritz the Cat likes this.
  9. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

If you are going to use a stainless steel pot, you need to get a good one like all-clad with a thick base. They are quite expensive (of course, Le Creuset isn’t cheap either). We had electric ranges with glass cooktops before we redid our kitchen a few years back. Our stainless steel pots simmered just fine, low and slow.

We have a dual-fuel range now (gas cooktop with an electric oven).

10. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

My compliments sir! Professionally done.

Next time, get a gas stovetop.

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

See? I've seen a dozen recipes. All say to drop the temp to NADA. I'd rather do it your way. Next NYE!!!! LOL. (Or maybe this Summer if I don't drop it on the smoker instead when the troops come home from Missurah.)

As far as cleaning, folks, hot water works. What works WONDERS is deglazing your pan. Don't wait to clean it. Put it on the burner. Get it warm. Pour hot water in. Listen to sizzle. Scrape with a wooden spoon.

Flaking covering can be 2 things:

1. Uneven surface of Lodge cookware.

2. Too thick coatings of carbon. Thin! Thin! Thin! Wipe the oil on. WIPE IT ALL OFF. Heat to "activate" (polymerize??) the oil remaining. If seasoning for the first time or "regular" times, always keep the pan upside down in the oven/grill. Why? It doesn't let oil pool in the corners of the pan.

I've got 2 pans at home from S-dog that I got a year or so ago. Neither of them have any brown left inside no matter what angle you hold them at. They are both to a point where I don't need to season any longer.

I will say the best thing about cast iron is stovetop to oven and back. Gosh that's so handy. Ditto for my Le Creuset. But obviously we are talking cast iron here. Corn bread. Roast. casserole. Smoking something casserole-ish on the smoker. Cast iron is the bomb for all of it. I have non-stick for eggs and such.

12. daveyburt

daveyburt NES Member

Love cast iron corn bread!

My egg routine is, warm pan on low for 5 minutes, flip to med for 1 min, butter the pan, crack in the egg. Don't touch it! After a min on med, shut the heat off and cover the pan to cook the top. Let sit for another minute - longer if you want a solid yolk. Slides right out. - over easy without flipping it over!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Fritz the Cat likes this.
  13. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

I bought a Porcelain Coated Cast Iron skillet from Target.

Eggs Stick to Porcelain Real HARD ! As I found out the hard way.

Shoulda' returned it.

14. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

For me, it makes the wife happy. She likes the blue hues of the big pots

15. grey

grey NES Member

FYI Stargazer cast iron is now producing 12" skillets in addition to the 10.5". I preordered one and it should be shipping in the next week or so. I've had the 10.5" for a couple years and besides not having historical charm, it's one of my best pans. Made in the USA all the way

kelton likes this.
  16. kelton

kelton NES Member

+1

17. daveyburt

daveyburt NES Member

18. robjax

robjax NES Member

I ordered one on November 5th. I have not been notified of shipping yet...

19. grey

grey NES Member

Well, same here. I'm not defending them whatsoever in regards to their shipping on new production line items. I emailed them last week and got a prompt response about when my order is going out. It seems popularity outpaced their anticipated shipping speed. Again

robjax likes this.
  20. atmay

atmay

Eggs will stick to essentially anything, including a lot of non-stick (teflon) pans.

If you try and cook in cast iron (enameled or bare) the same way you would with a Teflon pan, you’re going to have a bad time.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  21. robjax

robjax NES Member

in fact your post reminded me of my order so same as you I sent of an e-mail last night...lol.

Hopefully they send mine out soon as well..

22. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

My son has my ancient Griswold 12 pan. Did Griswold make a 12 with no smoke ring?

23. Gidge

Gidge

24. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I'm pretty sure my #12 has no ring. I know my #14 does not have a ring.

Dennis in MA likes this.
  25. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Yea, some do and some don't. That's what I remembered, but when on Ebay I cannot find a non smoke ring (actually it's called a heat ring) for sale. they all have the ring.

26. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Damn. I'd have to get to Home Depot to buy more elbow grease before tackling that set. Yikes!

I saw a trick on a YewToob video a few months ago that SEEMS to work for eggs and other "sticky" things in a cast iron or even stainless pan:

SWEAT SOME ONIONS IN THE PAN FIRST. I guess there is something about onions that will help the pan stay slippery. It isn't teflon-level, but seems to help. Although if you don't like eggs that taste slightly like onions, you're SOL. ;)

I like that extra handle on the Stargazer 12. I think my vintage has one, but I forget.

27. atmay

atmay

My preferred “I don’t want this to stick” method is an ungodly amount of butter.

Gidge, kelton, MisterHappy and 2 others like this.
  28. grey

grey NES Member

That'll work! Plus a seasoned pan and correct burner setting = better than teflon. But yes, lots of butter. Or bacon fat

Mike Stanton, kelton and MisterHappy like this.
  29. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

You silly.

Dirty eggs are the method. Eggs cooked in delicious bacon fat with a nice crispy edge and a runny yoke. I do pat them with a paper towel before I woof them down.

Mike Stanton and Artie like this.
  30. warpig

warpig

Anyone have 14" or 15" pan they would recommend? We use a 12" lodge that works great, but she wants something larger when frying a batch of chicken thighs or breasts for the family.