1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cast Iron Cooking - How many of you cook solely on cast iron cookware?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Squished, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Squished

Squished NES Member

Little backstory.....married in 2012 and got some (what I thought were nice!) Caphalon non-stick commercial cookware. We only used wooden spoons and silicone spoons in them as you aren't supposed to use metal and over the course of about 2 years I noticed chunks of teflon were peeling off. Where does that go? Into my food. Gross. I figured it was just cheap cookware so I bought a few All-Clad pieces (stupid expensive) and in 3 years those did the exact same thing. I actually sent them back to all-clad under warranty and had them send me straight stainless pieces instead. Not bad but not good.

Still not satisfied I ended up getting a newer Lodge cast iron piece from Wally World's and did OK with that a few times, although stuff really liked to stick to it. I ended up sourcing out some early 1900's pieces that were all rusty, read about restoring them, built a small electrolysis tank and went to town. Fast forward to today, I own more then 200 pieces of restored antique cast iron cookware that I buy and sell, have a killer set of Griswold and Wagner pieces for my own personal use that I use every day now, and I'm loving every minute of it. I don't ever see myself going back to modern cookware. The food cooks better and tastes better, period.

Here's a few pieces I've restored this past summer. First one is a gate marked (the long line on the bottom) spider leg skillet from roughly 1760-1790, the ones on the green towel are a mix of Griswold and old Lodge(very different than the new Lodge) and lastly a picture of my wall of iron at my workshop that I rotate out some of my pieces with and sell the others.

Anyone else love cast iron cookware like I now do and the fact these things just don't ever go bad?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

And of course the 1.5lb ribeye and veggies from a few weeks ago:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    9 people like this.

2. Sparkey

Sparkey NES Member

I have a few Griswold pans I prefer cast iron for cooking. I have scored a bunch of them at auctions for cheap if you know what you are looking for

3. Squished

Squished NES Member

I get tons of the auctions and flea markets. Once you learn how to identify the unmarked pieces you can get some killer deals. I also have people that source for me now and bring me pieces that need to be restored and I trade them out for pieces that I've already restored. Win win for both of us.

4. Delkancott

Delkancott NES Member

Awesome thread. I've been hoping to source some old cast iron locally, but apparently we have none in the family and I haven't stretched my legs looking other places. Do you have links to available pieces? Where are you located?

In regards to new lodge, I have one, but can't seem to keep food from sticking to it either. I've heard sanding helps, but have not done so yet.

5. Squished

Squished NES Member

Save the new Lodge for camping. Once you go to an antique piece that's smooth as glass, you'll never go back.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Thanks, now I'm hungry.

7. Sparkey

Sparkey NES Member

We also have some stamped Ware Sidney that I took out of the dumpster when they were cleaning,out,the wife's grandmothers house. I dont know much about that brand but they cook well. I would guess they are from before 1950

1 person likes this.
  8. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

I have a couple of Lodge pans that work very well....if you know how to use them. My wife found one of them in the trash. Had been used once by someone that had no clue. Had crap burnt on to it and was tossed out. I cleaned it up and now it's one of my favorites. Has a nice thick, slick patina.

9. Squished

Squished NES Member

This style logo? Made 1916-1934. Good stuff.

images.jpg

10. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

I,don't use cast solely but my skillet sees more use than my other pans. I also have cast iron griddle perfect for flap jacks.
    It takes a little seasoning and use for the sticking to stop
    Also most people don't take the time to learn how hot the pan needs to be to lessen the sticking.

11. Squished

Squished NES Member

I see people try to cook on HIGH on cast iron....makes me cringe. No no no no.

1 person likes this.
  12. rocket500

rocket500

I don't only use it (we've got some stainless stuff too) but mostly. No teflon!

13. powerman

powerman

I use cast iron when I cook, home fries and bacon a couple of times week
    will be Dutch oven cooing this winter on few campouts

MY WIFE HAS BEEN BANNED USING MY PANS, she either cooks something acidic or leaves it in the sink with water and I have to re-season

in fact I think I'll have some bacon now

1 person likes this.
  14. Maddawg1952

Maddawg1952 NES Member

IMG_20161226_091050_013.jpg Other than my slow cooker all my cookware is cast iron. Started out as camping cookware then after 1 14" teflon coated frying pan started to peal I never looked back and went with all cast iron . Even my Weber grill has a cast iron removable pan, you have to know how to season and clean them. NEVER ever used soap on any of them and they all clean up just fine. Added pic, the daily stuff and the flat plate from my Weber. There 's still a 3 legged Dutch Oven and a tripod in my camping gear that's used EVERY time we go.

15. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

[​IMG]

Got this beauty for Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  16. Squished

Squished NES Member

I just restored one of those for someone.

EDIT: Saw yours a Griswold. I just did a Wagner Ware. Nice piece!

17. Squished

Squished NES Member

After
    20161021_124103.jpg

Before
    20160925_093034.jpg

1 person likes this.
  18. jtnf

jtnf NES Member

19. Squished

Squished NES Member

?

20. jtnf

jtnf NES Member

Too busy to participate, or even read properly... wanted to tag thread for reading tonight. "Popcorn=entertaining" not "popcorn=fistfight"

21. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Hot enough is a learning curve... for my griddle I use my grand mothers method... a few drops of water should "dance" or bounce around prior to evaporating. For the skillet ? Depends what I'm cooking. I can say it's hot but not on "high"
    Now those of you that cook open flame ....the patience for that learning curve ......I do not have.

22. Mass-diver

Mass-diver NES Member

Love my CI skillet, I never cook on "non-stick" coated stuff. I use the CI for everything from eggs, searing steak, to chicken started on the stove top finished in the oven.

23. igrace7092

igrace7092 NES Member

I love using cast iron. They cook much better in my opinion. I went to the grocery store and even found some old fashioned Crisco hiding on the bottom shelf.

24. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

We went thru many Teflon pans, unsure if we still own any buried in the basement, but if it goes on the stove, it is mostly a Lodge cast iron pan. We do use some Farberware SS for other tasks. Most cooking is done in the convection oven or microwave here however. Weekly omelet is only done in cast iron.

25. Sparkey

Sparkey NES Member

26. MarkT

MarkT NES Member

I love cast iron. I have a 16" lodge skillet that sees a lot of use.

I never have trouble with food sticking, you just need to season well the first time, never wash it with soap (use course salt and a paper towel if you need to scrub, or a copper scrubber with no soap), then dry it well and give a a very light coat of vegetable oil. You should also never cook anything acidic in them.

Having read this now, though, I'm going to start looking for a Griswold.

Thanks for posting.

27. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

My cast iron skillet is the best nonstick pan I've had. Seasoning is the key.

28. Burgermeister

Burgermeister NES Member

29. Greg

Greg NES Member

Did you ever use an orbital sander on a newer Lodge to smooth out the porous cooking surface that plagues all the new cast iron ?

You should karma a 14" fryer to me,seriously.

30. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Add another NESer to the ranks of the cast iron brigade. Also add another wife to the cast iron brig, LOL.

I have a couple pieces of Griswold from my Grandparents' farm and use them regularly. I know sacrilege and reason for re-seasoning, but I just cooked my kid a pineapple upside down cake in one of the skillets (his birthday, worth the extra cleaning).

I have a very well made unmarked pancake (?) skillet that I picked up at Waylon Jennings' estate sale when his health required him to move from Nashville to Arizona. We lived about a mile away.

The Lodge stuff is fine but does need some surface improvement. I take a grill cleaning stone to the cooking surfaces until it is Griswold smooth, then re-season. They should make a premium line and put in the extra effort to get the cooking surface right. They were a customer of mine, close to Chattanooga.