Cast Hollow Points

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
I recently picked up a new MP 160 grain HP mould (170 solid) to mess around with some expansion tests.
I cast these from an alloy consisting lead, maybe 2% tin and maybe a little antimony snuck in there.
It was softer alloy than I thought I had originally.

I showed up at @1919FAN ’s house and he just so happened to have a Dillon 450 set up to load 38s with 3.0 grains to Hodgdon clays.
I figured it was a good starting point and loaded up a couple dozen to try.

Fast forward 2 weeks and I finally made it to the range.

I shot them into clear ballistics from about 10” away using

1 7/8” barreled S&W 442
4” barreled S&W 686
18” Barreled Uberti 1873

I did not have a chrono with me unfortunately. Maybe next time.

Considering the modest velocity I feel like this Bullet has a ton of potential. I have room to pick up the speed and make this load much more effective in the snubby.

Left to right is an unfired bullet. Then the 1 7/8”, 4” and 18” barrel results

Also noted that the all of the bullets fired performed almost exactly the same as the other fired from each different firearm. The same expansion. The same depth of penetration.
The least expanding bullet traveling about 14” and the most expanding bullet traveling about 12”

7B9FCC4E-50AC-41ED-A52C-E649507F7223.jpeg21C160A1-3BB2-4F7F-B3DB-058EF317D860.jpeg

Last edited:
You'll have to grab the lab-radar next time you test.
I think that will tell a lot.
I'm wondering what type of velocity these are running. Hodgdon is showing 150 FPS faster with a LSWC vs an XTP of the same weight with the same 3.1 grains of clays.
About 871 with the LSWC and 721 with the XTP. Both running a 7.7" barrel

The .25/20 bullet mold finally showed up today. The Post Office really sucks. Speaking of that, tomorrow is supposed to be cold and windy. Not a good day to be casting bullets. Wednesday looks much better.

Never looked into making my own bullets , looks very interesting . Is it safe to do as far as lead poisoning ? How do you add the gas check ring? Sorry for seaming stupid. Will go look at some videos now.
Chris
The beginning to all you need to know.

The reason I asked about lead poisoning is my granddaughter got lead poisoning from the lead dust that came from the lead weights in the window frame that settled on the window sill by her toy chest. There is reason to ask with out smart ass replies. So I'll ask a different way . What is the safe way to make your own bullets.

The reason I asked about lead poisoning is my granddaughter got lead poisoning from the lead dust that came from the lead weights in the window frame that settled on the window sill by her toy chest. There is reason to ask with out smart ass replies. So I'll ask a different way . What is the safe way to make your own bullets.
Im guessing the lead posioning was from another source , did your granddaughter consume any fiood products from china?
Any way , if your safe , clean and wash up you will be fine.
If you do set up for casting just make a area that little kids are not allowed.

Smelt outside and cast in a ventilated area. Don't smelt if your house is down wind and the windows are open. And clean up afterwards hands clothes don't mix your clothes with there's. It is safe if handled properly welcome aboard. I do monthly blood monitoring for work and haven't had an issue. Your more likely to get exposed picking up brass or tumbling from the dust. Again stay up wind when casting

The lead that she was exposed to was most likely as much from the paint as the weights but gournd into a fine dust is going to be more bioavailable.

For casting - exposure is very low as long as good hygiene is followed

All the window weights I've seen(and I've seen many) were made of cast iron. I'm guessing the lead poisoning came from lead paint dust caused by the window sashes being opened and closed. If there's another casting seminar, take it and all your questions will be answered.

Alright that was all answered for me.
yes it’s totally safe. You need to have good hygiene. As pastera said the lead oxides are the issue. We don’t work with that generally. It’s mostly good clean lead and if not you make sure you are masked up and don’t lick your fingers.
Good proper wash down with lead removal wipes after the fact is recommended.
Fumes aren’t an issue at the temperature that lead is cast at. I never exceed 800*F and I don’t believe the fumes start to be an issue til around 1200*F

Check out our spring seminar that’s going to go on in April or May. All you need to know to get you started.

Thanks Guys , as for my granddaughter , it was picked up from blood work , then someone from the county came and would it came from the window , they had the windows changed . That was years ago , she's fine now . Making your own cast bullets is right up my alley, will be looking into it Thanks Again , will post when I created my own bullets too , Great Sport.
Chris

Thanks Guys , as for my granddaughter , it was picked up from blood work , then someone from the county came and would it came from the window , they had the windows changed . That was years ago , she's fine now . Making your own cast bullets is right up my alley, will be looking into it Thanks Again , will post when I created my own bullets too , Great Sport.
Chris
Dont lick your fingers , its a little salty flavored.

I just weighed the expanded bullets and an unfired one.
unfired was about 161.5 grains.
fired ranged from 160 even to 160.7

basically they lost some lube to varying degrees and retained 100% of their weight.
That's a good looking bullet Michael after showing me what you had in the ballistics gel that projectile would inflict the same damage as a Silver Tip going at the same velocity.You picked a winner with that mould.

That's a good looking bullet Michael after showing me what you had in the ballistics gel that projectile would inflict the same damage as a Silver Tip going at the same velocity.You picked a winner with that mould.
Thanks man. I think the designer has a winner with this one. I’ll be trying out a 125 grain with the same style hollow points. I’m guessing I can get them moving plenty fast enough to get the job done.

I just weighed the expanded bullets and an unfired one.
unfired was about 161.5 grains.
fired ranged from 160 even to 160.7

basically they lost some lube to varying degrees and retained 100% of their weight.
Never tried them in gel but back in the ild days we cut a X into 22lr and would shoot at clay blocks the X always tore up the clay more. Also did that mod on air rifle pellets.

I recently picked up a new MP 160 grain HP mould (170 solid) to mess around with some expansion tests.
I cast these from an alloy consisting lead, maybe 2% tin and maybe a little antimony snuck in there.
It was softer alloy than I thought I had originally.

I showed up at @1919FAN ’s house and he just so happened to have a Dillon 450 set up to load 38s with 3.0 grains to Hodgdon clays.
I figured it was a good starting point and loaded up a couple dozen to try.

Fast forward 2 weeks and I finally made it to the range.

I shot them into clear ballistics from about 10” away using

1 7/8” barreled S&W 442
4” barreled S&W 686
18” Barreled Uberti 1873

I did not have a chrono with me unfortunately. Maybe next time.

Considering the modest velocity I feel like this Bullet has a ton of potential. I have room to pick up the speed and make this load much more effective in the snubby.

Left to right is an unfired bullet. Then the 1 7/8”, 4” and 18” barrel results

Also noted that the all of the bullets fired performed almost exactly the same as the other fired from each different firearm. The same expansion. The same depth of penetration.
The least expanding bullet traveling about 14” and the most expanding bullet traveling about 12”

View attachment 455983View attachment 455984
The straight lines if that holliw point plug definately aid in the lead splitting , creates a weak fracture point .?

Back
Top Bottom