Caspian 1911 frames

Hi Guy's

Just wondering if anyone here has used Caspian 1911 frames and or are they legal here in Mass.

Thanks for the help,
Nick

If I recall, and I could be wrong, Caspian will sell frames to MA residents if you sign something saying you'll agree to only use it for competitions and target practice or the like.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct that info.

Yes, the frames are legal. Other than full-auto frames, there are no "illegal frames."

Go to any USPSA match and you will likely find guns built on them.

Cool thanks for letting me know. Ya I was going for a standard plane jane government frame.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it LOL.

One other thing, are the high capacity ones legal here?

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
Cool thanks for letting me know. Ya I was going for a standard plane jane government frame.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it LOL.

One other thing, are the high capacity ones legal here?

Thanks,
Nick

I would think so, the legal issues tend to arise from post-ban high cap mags, not the gun's ability to accept said magazines.

O so the guns legal the mags aren't LOL,,,,only in Mass

Nick

The frame is legal if you meet/agree to their target and sporting only requirement.

Any high capacity magazine has to be pre-ban regardless of the gun or frame. I can't remember the exact year, so I won't post it to avoid misinformation.

The frame is legal if you meet/agree to their target and sporting only requirement.

There is no such requirement in the law. Caspian or whoever might make you sign some kind of waiver but that's just ass covering crap on their part, and is completely and utterly meaningless. You can do whatever you want with that frame.

-Mike

Caspian is a great product, made in he USA. They also support the shooting sports. They are the choice of top builders across the US. I use them exclusively. Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for replying to my thread. Your close to me and I need a gunsmith to do the work once I get the parts for it.

Do you have a ffl?

Nick

There is no such requirement in the law. Caspian or whoever might make you sign some kind of waiver but that's just ass covering crap on their part, and is completely and utterly meaningless. You can do whatever you want with that frame.

-Mike

Yes, this is worth noting, not required by law.

I only mentioned it as his OP was Caspian specific, and I know they make you sign the form.

Sept. 14, 1994.

Excellent, thank you.

Oh really I didn't know that. So If I want to get a frame can I do that through you? How much do you charge for that service?

I will probably be having you do the word too. I haven't been able to find many gunsmiths in Mass. This will be my first pistol but I want to do my homework and get the best parts I can. I want a tack driver LOL.

Who makes the best barrels for the 1911?

Thanks,
Nick

If by "their," you mean Caspian, there is nothing "legal" about any such "requirement."

First, a bare frame is not even a firearm under MA law. As has been discussed here MANY times, a frame does not even require an FA-10 unless and until it is built into a functioning firearm.

Second, any such manufacturer's "requirement" is a devoid of any legal significance. Unless and until a firearm is approved by the GCAB and placed on the Target Roster, it is not "target firearm" under MA law. Any "agreement" between the manufacturer and the purchaser is a waste of paper and an exercise in mental masturbation.

Third, as Caspian does not even make complete firearms, it cannot qualify for either the AFR or the Target Roster.

Note that the rosters control what a dealer may sell to MA residents; NOT what a gunsmith may build. The "agreement" in question is asinine on several levels.

Short story - order the frame of your choice and have it built into the gun of your choice* by the smith of your choice. So long as you duly file the FA-10 upon receipt of the completed gun and don't use post-ban, "large capacity" mags, the firearm will comply with MA law.

* Excepting full-auto, suppressed or "assault pistol" configurations, of course! [wink]

Well I'm not to worried. It won't used double stack mags and of course it won't be an auto.

Is is ok to use a muzzle break on them though. I know it's a dumb question but this is Massachusetts.

Nick

If by "their," you mean Caspian, there is nothing "legal" about any such "requirement."

First, a bare frame is not even a firearm under MA law. As has been discussed here MANY times, a frame does not even require an FA-10 unless and until it is built into a functioning firearm.

Second, any such manufacturer's "requirement" is a devoid of any legal significance. Unless and until a firearm is approved by the GCAB and placed on the Target Roster, it is not "target firearm" under MA law. Any "agreement" between the manufacturer and the purchaser is a waste of paper and an exercise in mental masturbation.

Third, as Caspian does not even make complete firearms, it cannot qualify for either the AFR or the Target Roster.

Note that the rosters control what a dealer may sell to MA residents; NOT what a gunsmith may build. The "agreement" in question is asinine on several levels.

Short story - order the frame of your choice and have it built into the gun of your choice* by the smith of your choice. So long as you duly file the FA-10 upon receipt of the completed gun and don't use post-ban, "large capacity" mags, the firearm will comply with MA law.

* Excepting full-auto, suppressed or "assault pistol" configurations, of course! [wink]

Yes of course, I did not mean to imply that Caspian's arbitrary form that states one would only use said frame for a target gun was the be all end all of getting frames shipped in to MA. As I said earlier, I only mentioned that as the original post was questioning Caspian specifics.

I know full well that a bare frame is far from a firearm; the main point I was trying to convey is that the frame is not an issue and the mags are only a problem if post ban.

I understand that Caspian's required form is worth nothing legally, and I appreciate the clarification others have provided where I may have unintentionally been misleading.

(Finally got Scriv'd after ~ 2 years on the board [laugh][smile])

(Finally got Scriv'd after ~ 2 years on the board [laugh][smile])

Not at all. I wasn't criticizing you, but Caspian's inane "agreement." It is worse than useless and I didn't want its inanity confusing people.

I do appreciate Caspian's support of the sport. It was a major sponsor of the much-missed AWARE matches and donated its handy little 1911 tool to the Walls of Steel. I'd have appreciated it even more had I actually received it, having won that raffle, but that's not Caspian's fault.

Back
Top Bottom