• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Casing Burn Marks

jayhitek

NES Member
I've been tweaking a Glock 17 custom slide build that I've been working on for the past bunch of months.
Finally starting shooting properly after lowering the recoil spring to 11 lbs and striker pin spring to 3 lbs, but one thing I noticed that was odd though.. Look at the ejected casings.. One is heavily burned.
What would cause that?

The barrel is inexpensive and I did upgrade it last night to a better one. So I haven't tested it in it's newest configuration. But cheap barrel and the pics.. kind of curious.

Attachments

• casing.jpg
    casing.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 78
i'm no expert...looks like the chamber is a bit oversize and gas is flowing back. factory or reloaded ammo?

I'm assuming you are not reloading 9mm: Bad chamber or rounds are firing out of battery. Either way, that's some bad mojo. Scuffs on case might indicate something 'off' with the chamber dimensions.

What's a cheap barrel? Bought used and screwed up by someone else or bought new from a questionable source?

scuffs could just be contact with teh ground and other brass.

I've had plenty of blow-by brass in my day. A little has never been a concern for me. That "seems" like a lot.

I'm assuming you are not reloading 9mm: Bad chamber or rounds are firing out of battery. Either way, that's some bad mojo. Scuffs on case might indicate something 'off' with the chamber dimensions.

What's a cheap barrel? Bought used and screwed up by someone else or bought new from a questionable source?

It was just inexpensive. And to quote Tim at Gartman who originally worked the kinks out for me, "using a cheap barrel in a Zev slide.. no wonder you're having problems.."
https://www.sgmtactical.com/products/glock-compatible-match-grade-barrels/

And the Silencerco barrel I put in last night does fit better in there. Almost no slop. And the recoil spring has much less play.

this

this again but with an expanded vocabulary

And expanding vocabulary about case expansion. LOL

EDIT

I haven't bought S&B in almost 20 years but it was HOT ammo back then. I don't think it's the ammo. Got another 9mm to be sure?

Just came back from the range and shot it with the new barrel. I think it was an anomaly.

The spent casings didn't have the same over-burn marks.

Back
Top Bottom