• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cash only Rant *Updated*

Brin747

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was fine with your post until you called people stupid for buying a coffee and donut using a CC.

There is no need to insult people based on how they choose to pay.

I pay for everything with a CC. From something that costs $1 to a $5K mountain bike. I would post a screenshot of my CC statement, but it's like 300 small transactions and that might give someone an aneurism.

I do it out of convenience. I also get cash back with one card and get money to spend at Cabelas and BassPro with the other. I have $600 accumulated to spend at Cabelas.

I have carried cash with me, and it is a huge PITA for me. When I travel to LATAM I carry cash, and it s*cks. In Europe, I carry cash and end with pockets full of Euro coins heavy AF. With the prices here, I would blow through $100 in 1 hour. Carrying a stack of $100 bills all the time in my pocket is a PITA.

I do keep $60 in my car. And I pay cash to my barber.
I'm in the same exact boat...across the board. Debit card for everything, I carry very little cash except my "Emergency" $100 bill and usually about $50 in random cash just in case I run into a place like the OP.

I hate cash in Europe with all the freaking coins!

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm the other way around. I don't want to be tracked and pay cash for everything. Seriously you don't have $5 on you for a cup of coffee?
The more important thing here is, why the hell would you spend $5 on a cup of coffee. Sorry, ain't doing it!

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I use cash if the place seems sketchy but usually go with a card. Last year I was on vacation in Maine and before I even got the luggage out of the car my bank called and asked if I was buying a few hundred dollars of booze in Detroit. They canceled the card immediately. Luckily my wife had her check book so I could cash a check at the local bank. I never found out how someone in Detroit hacked my card.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Huh? Try to keep up, I’m complaining about cash only, not about my own choices.
Your choice to go into a cash-only establishment? Then your choice to stay once you realized it was cash-only? Your choice to pay for the donut you didn't need, the coffee you could have made yourself, or both that you could have found at thousands of other places in this region? Places that take credit? Places you could have chosen to go to?

I'm keeping up just fine. You're ranting about something you could have fixed yourself.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Your choice to go into a cash-only establishment? Then your choice to stay once you realized it was cash-only? Your choice to pay for the donut you didn't need, the coffee you could have made yourself, or both that you could have found at thousands of other places in this region? Places that take credit? Places you could have chosen to go to?

I'm keeping up just fine. You're ranting about something you could have fixed yourself.
NOT defending the OP but it was clear that he was out of town (i.e. not near home) and getting a coffee and muffin for $6... Granted, I'm pretty sure there was at least a DD or Startucks in the area/town he could get to (probably did after).

Either way, having only one method of purchasing something is rather foolish IMO... Cash and cards means two methods (count all CC's as a single method). Remember... One is none, two is one. ;)

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above: cash is king.

Who is old enough to remember these as the only option if you wanted to charge? No instantaneous check, you had it or you didn't. Your wife most likely did not. This is when the bank owned your card and they would ask for them back if you tried to use them without funds.

Ah yes, remember them well. Remember when customers used to bitch about the carbon's?

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
NOT defending the OP but it was clear that he was out of town (i.e. not near home) and getting a coffee and muffin for $6... Granted, I'm pretty sure there was at least a DD or Startucks in the area/town he could get to (probably did after).

Either way, having only one method of purchasing something is rather foolish IMO... Cash and cards means two methods (count all CC's as a single method). Remember... One is none, two is one. ;)
Then he could suck it up and deal with a little deprivation until he got back to civilization. I'm just wondering why he came onto NES and bitched about it. The "solution" to his "problem" was entirely within his power the whole time.

Supermoto

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Bad rant. you should always have at least a little cash on you. $40+ is ok $100+ is better. The place could lose internet (or have busted cc/pos terminals) and people will still sell you shit if you have cash.

-Mike

The only time I have had this happen was at a gas station, one of the outside pumps didn't work. The one next to it did. No big deal.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Ah yes, remember them well. Remember when customers used to bitch about the carbon's?
I remember using those at the first few jobs I had (until going to college).

Then he could suck it up and deal with a little deprivation until he got back to civilization. I'm just wondering why he came onto NES and bitched about it. The "solution" to his "problem" was entirely within his power the whole time.
No argument here... ;)

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
0/10
Small businesses (all businesses) pay a TON of money in processing fees.
I think you just didn't see the sign, I find it very hard to believe it was not conspicuously posted.
I can't believe these stupid kids these days that put a coffee and a donut on a credit card...or debit card for that matter.
And they make those fees back and then some with the increased business they get from accepting CCs. A lot of people like to pay w CC and people generally buy more w/ CC than when they're limited to cash. We had a good local breakfast/lunch restaurant, cash only, there were plenty of times we went to other nearby places because I didn't feel like going to the ATM first. Not accepting CC because of the fees is short-sighted, regardless of everyone's opinion/personal preference in using them. Build it in to your pricing. I represent several insurance companies, not all of them accept CCs and some that do charge a fee for CC payments. All things being equal, people will choose the company that will charge their credit card w/ no fees, even if the premium is slightly more because it's more convenient and they make it back on the rewards. Some of my carriers lose thousands in business every year simply because the other carrier makes it easier to do business with them. And, none of them accept cash. My ex owns an antique store, the fees are a pain but most of her customers pay via CC and if someone sees a big or expensive item and doesn't have cash on them, she'll probably lose the sale since once they're gone they may not come back. Build it into your pricing, if you can't then you probably need some business management/finance lessons.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I do use the Delta card for as much as I can. Free flights are the best. It’s obviously not free because you pay more at the time of sale because merchants have to raise the price to pay the banking masters their fee.
I also use the delta amex....average about one free flight per month. But I dont understand where you say that that it's not free because merchants raise prices....you do understand that cash buyers are paying the same price, right?

People who pay with credit cards
very rarely tip the hard-working girls behind the counter
at the donut shop. People who pay with credit cards are costing
the establishment a fee from the credit card companies
on a two or three buck order sometimes even less. Carry a
few bucks and make it easier for everybody.
1. I resent tipping for a counter girl to pour coffee.
2. CC fees are a percentage....the business owner adjusts the price for all sales to offset any cc fees. They do NOT losing money when 6ou pay with a cc for a $2 coffee.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Buddy your response is like I was bitching about going to a desert without water and crying about being thirsty, I was fine and hit up a Dunks down the street and all was good. I was simply trying to give a B&M establishment some business, had there been a “Cash only” sign on the door or if the girl at least told me before she put my order on the counter I would not be bitching about it. And let’s be clear I was legit curious what the masses have to say about cash vs CC, I truly don’t give a F**k what any of you think when it comes down to it, and btw nobody forced YOU or any of the other weirdos who is talking shit to reply to my post.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I don't know if more businesses are cutting the CC machine cord or what, but it's gotten to the point where I reflexively check non-chain stores for a cash only sign when I walk in. If I don't see one I still look for the CC machine when I get to the counter.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone who owns a debit card should watch this video and stop using one.

View: https://youtu.be/Wu29ji8LVKY
One of my sister's friends found out the hard way about one of the biggest points he makes in that, and I don't think he spent enough time on it or went into enough detail. If someone gets your debit card info and cleans out your accounts, it can be weeks before you see that money returned. You're completely screwed if you have any bills due during that period. Not only did this cause her to miss payments of several different bills (rent, car, utilities, phone, etc), many of those then tacked on late payment fees which she was responsible for and also added derogatory marks on her credit history for missed payments, significantly lowering her credit score. Sure she eventually got the money that was stolen from her account back, but there was no reimbursement for those late fees and the hit to her credit score for missed payments.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
lol

That has exactly what to do with your husband not carrying some cash for you ?

Maybe just keep a $20 bill in your purse and learn from the men if your husband doesnt keep cash in his wallet.
It has nothing to do with it, I just felt like it was appropriate to call you a Homo

swatgig

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
. Please stop, NES doesn’t need the spelling police. And you can F**k right off too how about that?
You have an extra period at the beginning of this post. The comma between "stop" and "NES" should be a period. There should be a period after "too", and "how" should be capitalized, as it's a new sentence.

Signed, the Punctuation Police.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
2. CC fees are a percentage....the business owner adjusts the price for all sales to offset any cc fees. They do NOT losing money when 6ou pay with a cc for a $2 coffee.
Er, no. Businesses charge the profit maximizing price and will increase it if the market will bear it even if there is no cost increase, or eat the cost if the market will not (and go out of business if they cannot make a profit at the market price). When businesses have a new expense, they will often test the market with a price increase way more than the new cost and blame on their new expense.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
You have an extra period at the beginning of this post. The comma between "stop" and "NES" should be a period. There should be a period after "too", and "how" should be capitalized, as it's a new sentence.

Signed, the Punctuation Police.
Sorry it’s “Grammar police”

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Buddy your response is like I was bitching about going to a desert without water and crying about being thirsty, I was fine and hit up a Dunks down the street and all was good. I was simply trying to give a B&M establishment some business, had there been a “Cash only” sign on the door or if the girl at least told me before she put my order on the counter I would not be bitching about it. And let’s be clear I was legit curious what the masses have to say about cash vs CC, I truly don’t give a F**k what any of you think when it comes down to it, and btw nobody forced YOU or any of the other weirdos who is talking shit to reply to my post.
I agree that it's a pain when someplace doesn't take credit cards, but like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think they need to put up a sign that says cash only, I think the absence of credit card stickers on the doors or cash register should have been a sign they might not take cards.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
One of my sister's friends found out the hard way about one of the biggest points he makes in that, and I don't think he spent enough time on it or went into enough detail. If someone gets your debit card info and cleans out your accounts, it can be weeks before you see that money returned. You're completely screwed if you have any bills due during that period. Not only did this cause her to miss payments of several different bills (rent, car, utilities, phone, etc), many of those then tacked on late payment fees which she was responsible for and also added derogatory marks on her credit history for missed payments, significantly lowering her credit score. Sure she eventually got the money that was stolen from her account back, but there was no reimbursement for those late fees and the hit to her credit score for missed payments.
My daughter is 19 and has a 750+ credit score. That alone should be enough to tell you debit cards are a scam and what we taught her to do works.

union

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to use my card for most of my stuff because I like the rewards points. I've been able to trade in the points for enough cards from cabelas to get a couple of guns. I got a Ruger super redhawk and a Mark iv hunter. Those days are over though since cabelas and basspro are no longer gift card options. Will be home depot or bestbuy in the future. I will use cash too if I plan enough ahead to have it on me. I bought my M1a with cash and will probably get my 1911 with cash.

I did have a funny cash only story. Local seasonal restaurant. Open only during the summer. A few of us decide to go try it out. Bill comes I go to hand them my card only to be told they don't take plastic. Between the four of us we also don't have enough cash on hand. Oddly enough they were more then happy to accept a personal check. I guess it's as good as cash assuming you have it in your account.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No, I'm the other way around. I don't want to be tracked and pay cash for everything. Seriously you don't have $5 on you for a cup of coffee?
Your Android phone is already tracking you.

If you dont believe me, enable tracking in the Maps application, and you will see everywhere you drove and walked to since you owned your phone. Both in the U.S. and in other countries.

Top Bottom